PDA

View Full Version : Fixing SAFC wiring Help!

revsx
09-12-2013, 11:16 PM
The previous owner of my car put in a SAFC and when he wired it in he soldered it within 3/4in of the ecu. I am taking out the SAFC in exchange for a PFC, and when I stripped the wire it ripped out all the copper into the pin and I am unsure of how to repin? it with new wire since they are all that close and I foresee that probably happening with all of them. So does anyone have any helpful advice on the subject?

Thanks in advance!

cotbu
09-13-2013, 11:13 AM
When you wire in accessories like a super afc their supposed to be wired as close as possible to the ecu.

Now you could trim the SAFC wire real close to the oem harness wires and tape them up, or de-solder the connection and remove the safc wires.

For the mafs wire, cut off the soldered safc ends, reconnect the mafs signal wire with solder.

For the copper stripped wire: depin the wire using a small paper clip, depin from the ecu side, after the pin is out, solder the wire back together, use a small piece of electrical tape to protect the wire, wrap to the end of the pin, take a lighter and melt the tape, reinsert pin. (you could also use heat shrink tubing.)

revsx
09-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Ok, I will probably just desolder them then that makes for much less of a pain than cutting and stripping and having wires with a lot of stress on them.

For the stripped wire, I don't see room to fit a paper clip in the ecu side to push the pin out the holes are very tiny.

cotbu
09-14-2013, 12:12 AM
Paper clips come in various sizes, so do bobby pins and safety pins. you're not just pushing the pin out, you're actually lifting the latch/lock, then pulling the pin out.
Those are unsung tools of the trade, I've also used cotter pins, unbent and shaped to depin wires. cotter pins also come in multiple sizes.