PDA

View Full Version : KA24E Timing

SRTFerg
09-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Long story short, I just traded my xbox for a 90 hatch (good deal, I know!). The dude I got it from had just replaced the head gasket however when it tries to run it sound wayyy out of time so I cut it off immediately. I pulled the valvecover today so I could see what I was working with. When I rotate the crank pulley and line it up with the red line (second one in from the left) the timing gear dot is either in the 9 oclock position or somewhere around the 2-4 oclock area. I rotated the crank multiple times just to verify and it never came close. Common sense would tell me that the previous owner did not have the timing gear lined up properly. My question is: would I have to completely remove the timing chain as if installing a new one to get to where it needs to be or is there a way to relieve tension on the chain in order to rotate the timing gear?

MamangSorbetero
09-12-2013, 12:22 AM
There's no way. The chain is really taut, there is no way to turn it on the sprockets. Trust me, I know because I perfectly installed the timing cover on my engine build only to find the chain isn't in it's proper orientation. I had to re-attach the timing cover.

That's probably what happened to his engine. He didn't know how to properly reinstall the components and he probably messed up the pistons and valves bud, sorry. Time to buy a new valve assembly and pistons! (Luckily this isn't too expensive online anymore).

The KA24E is an interference engine. Meaning, if the head assembly isn't perfectly aligned and timed to the bottom end, the valves will strike the pistons and will cause damage. Usually, if you're lucky you can get away with just replacing valves. But everything gets damaged too. Head, pistons, cylinder walls, etc.

But what do I know? Break it apart and analyze it

SRTFerg
09-12-2013, 07:32 AM
That's what I was thinking. When I rotated the engine I didn't hear any valves tapping the pistons but if I have to take the whole cover off then I might as well pull the head too. I appreciate the help bud. I will keep you posted on my findings.