PDA

View Full Version : s13 pulling to left

NotLowEnough
09-10-2013, 09:12 PM
ok guys. i have gone through everything i know of and now am asking for help and seeking suggestions.

Alright, I have a violent pull before and after getting an alignment. There was almost no change except there is a slight bit less bump-steer. I have replaced the tie rods, tension rods, lower control arms, a welded diff. Its got Megan Racing track coils that are maxed out so its pretty low. Maybe it has something to do with it. I have not really dug into the rear suspension yet but there has to be something wrong.

Im willing to try anything because I love this car and want this car to drive straight. thanks for any input guys.

mechanicalmoron
09-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Check that your tire inflation is the same on each side. Front and rear can be different, but right and left must match.

Also, check that you don't have directional tires installed the wrong way, or that have been rotated. And check the tire tread, if one side has dramatically more it will pull that way.

....I don't think an alignmennt shoud have really done anything noticable to bump steer, unless they changed your height.

NotLowEnough
09-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the response mechanicalmoron. I checked air pressure and it is the same all around. I don't have directional tires but I switched the front tires today (left to right) and it didn't do anything, I will do the backs tomorrow and see what happens.

Other things I did tonight we're remove the front left brake to make sure it was not hanging and causing it to pull to the left. While I had it jacked up I wiggled the wheel top to bottom to check to see if the wheel bearing was bad, and I don't think it's that. Then I wiggled it front to back and noticed that tthere was quite a lot of movement. So not I'm thinking that the steering rack has gone bad and will have to be replaced.

Will this cause the car to have a violent pull?

codyace
09-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Take it to another alignment shop.

soundboy
09-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Steering ends

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 4

NotLowEnough
09-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Codyace - I would like to take it to another shop but it's too low for standard lifts.

Soundboy - the tie rod ends have been replaced. I'lllet u guys know what hhappens when I switch the back tires tonight

NotLowEnough
09-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Hey guys like I said I would let u guys know what happened when I switched the rear tires. The pull followed the left tire that I put on the right side. I guess it's time for another set of tires. Thanks for the responses.

mechanicalmoron
09-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the response mechanicalmoron. I checked air pressure and it is the same all around. I don't have directional tires but I switched the front tires today (left to right) and it didn't do anything, I will do the backs tomorrow and see what happens.

Other things I did tonight we're remove the front left brake to make sure it was not hanging and causing it to pull to the left. While I had it jacked up I wiggled the wheel top to bottom to check to see if the wheel bearing was bad, and I don't think it's that. Then I wiggled it front to back and noticed that tthere was quite a lot of movement. So not I'm thinking that the steering rack has gone bad and will have to be replaced.

Will this cause the car to have a violent pull?

Your rack is fine, with the car jacked up you should be able to move all the way through the steering travel, by pushing on the wheel/knuckle

Are you totally sure you don't have directional tires? It's possible that someone rotated them diagonally, corner to corner, as would be the procedure for non-directional ones. That would explain the rear one messing things up, assuming they both look the same tread-wise.

As far as how low you have it, bear in mind that without adjustable everything and knuckles (or, the gangster balljoint spacers that GKtech was showing off/previewing in the steering angle/suspension geometry thread) your suspension geometry goes to hell when you lower very much. I have my coils as high as they go, and that's a 1inch drop from stock.... and that's where the stock arms are good, but going lower would cause nasty things.