PDA

View Full Version : loud noise

mattysr20
09-04-2013, 11:29 PM
so this has seemed to gotten worse over time but while I'm driving I hear a loud humming/whoring noise it goes away.at like 3k rpms. the sound is present even if I put it in neutral which makes me think its not my trany. The car drives and shifts fine I was told maybe a bearing I just had new tires put on the back and it seemed to get worse. Anyone have any idea what this might be?

Posted from Zilvia.net App for Android

mechanicalmoron
09-04-2013, 11:46 PM
so this has seemed to gotten worse over time but while I'm driving I hear a loud humming/whoring noise it goes away.at like 3k rpms. the sound is present even if I put it in neutral which makes me think its not my trany. The car drives and shifts fine I was told maybe a bearing I just had new tires put on the back and it seemed to get worse. Anyone have any idea what this might be?

Maybe a wheel bearing, you mean? Not if it does it while you're stopped.

If it was an engine bearing, you might expect violent shuddering and loud pounding noises.

Maybe it's just a funky resonance your car has built up. Maybe you have something loose, like a motor mount or something.

If you think it might be a bearing, make sure there's no water coming out of the hole on your water pump, I suppose. Make sure you have power steering fluid.

Part of your transmission is spinning in neutral, and if you mean while driving, the whole thing is no matter what you do with the clutch or shifter.

Shift n Drift
09-05-2013, 12:05 AM
goes away at 3k rpm in every gear?

mattysr20
09-05-2013, 12:23 AM
yea every gear and its deff not an engine problem its something to do with either tranny/wheels/or drive shaft and maybe the differential

Shift n Drift
09-05-2013, 01:07 AM
well if its 3k in every gear, that rules out your wheels because they would be spinning at higher rpms as you shift and same with your driveshaft..., im thinking your pilot bushing is worn, and the shaft in the tranny centers out at 3k, or a throw out bearing maybe...