PDA

View Full Version : CA18DET s14

nichidinho
09-04-2013, 01:46 PM
So just wondering how hard is it to swap in a ca18det into an s14? does everything just go right in? what is the cost estimate do you think? Only reason im wondering is cause im kind of leaning that way cause its more unique than just the normal sr.. yeah i'm going to get flamed i know. but i just want a little more info. yes i have searched other forums and people have done it but they've all gone MIA afterwards.. thanks and if this is in the wrong section please steer me to another one.. thanks!

g35gabby
09-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Yes it can be done

wiring is the most difficult part

it is unique and they are awesome engines, but finding one in decent shape is going to be a trick.

at the end it all comes down to money.

shogun!
09-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Gearbox bellhouse.
Ecu.
Cable harness.
Minor exhaust adaptions.
And some other bits and bobs.

Easiest is an exchange including full engine, gearbox, clutch, downpipe, cables, ecu...

The engine is awesome.

shogun!
09-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Oh... and you need to use a different radiator or coolant hose. The connections are on different sides.

nichidinho
09-04-2013, 02:49 PM
I've heard they are great little engines and what not and I've researched this 1000 times but I've wanted to get peoples opinions that might have done/know more than me what would go into it... if you had to guess how much would think everything would cost.. i guessed around like. 3000ish..

nichidinho
09-04-2013, 02:51 PM
and just fyi i wouldnt be doing this anytime soon im just really curious.. need to set a goal to save to me being a highschooler haha.

shogun!
09-04-2013, 02:56 PM
That is way too much for a used oem package.
I would guess about 50% but it all comes down to what you have to pay for the parts.
Here in Europe, the ca18det are rather common but lately, due to drifting etc, the numbers are reduced significantly.

Costs for tuning are about the same for both types. My ca is a different story...

nichidinho
09-04-2013, 03:05 PM
to get everything running as it should you think $3000 is too much? anyone else have more info? im in the states as well..

zerodameaon
09-05-2013, 03:21 AM
Oh... and you need to use a different radiator or coolant hose. The connections are on different sides.

He has a KA24DE, the hoses are on the same side as the CA unlike they are in the SR so he is good there.

OP
Just google it there was a good thread about it being done over on NICO or some other place. And for your enjoyment, or lack there of if you cringe at wiring like that.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/swtchikn35114/240sx2.jpg

EDIT: Haha even better your wiring is already done for you, did not know WS made a CA18 into S14 harness. You should be able to get it all done for under 3 grand.
http://wiringspecialties.com/s13cains1424.html

shogun!
09-05-2013, 04:31 AM
He has a KA24DE, the hoses are on the same side as the CA unlike they are in the SR so he is good there.

Excellent :)

nichidinho
09-05-2013, 06:00 AM

OP
Just google it there was a good thread about it being done over on NICO or some other place. And for your enjoyment, or lack there of if you cringe at wiring like that.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/swtchikn35114/240sx2.jpg

EDIT: Haha even better your wiring is already done for you, did not know WS made a CA18 into S14 harness. You should be able to get it all done for under 3 grand.
Wiring Specialties S13 CA18DET Into S14 240sx (95-98) Wiring Service (http://wiringspecialties.com/s13cains1424.html)

Yeah i saw that and that was in my plans to begin with as well.. Is there any modification with exhaust etc etc? anything i should be wary of?

g35gabby
09-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Yeah i saw that and that was in my plans to begin with as well.. Is there any modification with exhaust etc etc? anything i should be wary of?

only thing IIRC is you will need a custom down pipe.

Wary off? it is more than 2 decades old..... wear and tear on w/e engine you buy is what you need to concern yourself with.

I didn't have 3500 into my CA hatch including the car and building it myself. Buying a premade harness will save you some of the headaches I dealt with, but other than that it was pretty solid engine. The only other hard thing to source was a good ECU.

zerodameaon
09-05-2013, 03:56 PM
I suggest Nistune for car even if it is relatively stock.

nichidinho
09-05-2013, 09:22 PM
I suggest Nistune for car even if it is relatively stock.

funny you mention that. eventually i was gonna upgrade turbo, maf injectors blah blah and almost everyone going for the setup i was went for a nistune and loved it. so that was on my list too. :hsdance: with that being said... im just curious for someone that has done what FMIC did you use? custom piping for it? any other custom things id look at other than downpipe; although ive heard an s14 sr downpipe will work... any proof or knowledge on that? thanks for your responses.

nichidinho
09-08-2013, 09:52 PM
anyone else got any info?

oni jake
09-09-2013, 12:04 AM
The CA18 is a terrible choice. You're in Alabama, there should be plenty of the SR motors around the regional area for sale. Get the motor that is backed by a competitive market for replacement parts.

S14 SR FMIC will work for a CA18 setup.