PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket FPR needed for more boost?

89hatchman
09-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Do I need it if I'm turning up the boost on my Sr20det?

From what the name implies the FPR regulates the fuel pressure going into the rail, so I'm not seeing why I would even need one let alone get an aftermarket one. The OEM one should do well enough right?

I mean, the ECU reads the O2 sensors outputs, controls the injectors to open longer or shorter to control the lean or richness of the exhaust.

Mikester
09-02-2013, 08:19 PM
If you aren't making 400+hp, the factory regulator will be just fine. It doesn't care about how much boost you are running- it only cares about fuel ;)

Once you start upgrading fuel injectors and tuning... THEN a regulator may be needed... In that case, your tuner will let you know.,

89hatchman
09-02-2013, 08:29 PM
If you aren't making 400+hp, the factory regulator will be just fine. It doesn't care about how much boost you are running- it only cares about fuel ;)

Once you start upgrading fuel injectors and tuning... THEN a regulator may be needed... In that case, your tuner will let you know.,

cool, thats what I was thinking. I'm just running a stock set up with 10 or 12 psi of boost. From what I've discussed with some people I see at drift events I should be able to get away with that with a mostly stock set up

Mikester
09-03-2013, 06:35 AM
^^Yes you technically can.

However, be advised that the stock SR ECU (factory tune) doesn NOT allow the injectors to operate at 100% duty cycle; and as you add boost, it will lean out exponentially.

I ran my setup stock back in the day at 1.0-1.15bar (14-16psi), and was amazed at how lean it was- even WITH a standalone that enabled full injector duty cycle.

What I'm trying to say is that you can get away with it... but your absolute BEST bet for longevity would be to add a set of S15 or 550+cc injectors and have your ECU tuned (JWT, Enthalpy etc) accordingly. More expensive? Yup- but peanuts when compared to the cost of even an OEM rebuild.

Food for thought.

89hatchman
09-03-2013, 10:32 AM
^^Yes you technically can.

However, be advised that the stock SR ECU (factory tune) doesn NOT allow the injectors to operate at 100% duty cycle; and as you add boost, it will lean out exponentially.

I ran my setup stock back in the day at 1.0-1.15bar (14-16psi), and was amazed at how lean it was- even WITH a standalone that enabled full injector duty cycle.

What I'm trying to say is that you can get away with it... but your absolute BEST bet for longevity would be to add a set of S15 or 550+cc injectors and have your ECU tuned (JWT, Enthalpy etc) accordingly. More expensive? Yup- but peanuts when compared to the cost of even an OEM rebuild.

Food for thought.

Ya, thats the dilemma. Turn up the boost a little bit and hope I can get away with it for more fun while drifting. Or do it right and spend tons of money on a tune, Z32 MAF, Injectors, Turbo. Trying to get a little more HP on a budget here