PDA

View Full Version : Installing a new (used) transmission in my s14, What else should be done?

theultimatehero
08-27-2013, 11:30 PM
I recently purchased an s14 and the transmission seems to have some problems. It makes all kind of noise when the clutch is engaged, even at idle. As I accelerate through 1st and 2nd gear there is some pretty gnarly sounding grinding noises. It sounds like a rocket ship with the loud ass whirring it makes. Even in 4th and 5th gear it whirrs like a cheap ceiling fan. It seems like a matter of time before things get even worse. From my research it sounds like input shaft bearing and/or main bearings. I guess that means find a replacement. I have found one local to me. I have no way of knowing if it is any better, but I feel as if I really need to change this before things go south.

Does this sound like a suitable course of action?

Of course it seems that way, therefore what I want to know is: what else should I be getting done while the transmission is being replaced? Should I consider getting the throwout bearing replaced? I wouldn't be surprised if the car needs new transmission mounts. Any recommendations to possibly prevent more problems from occurring in the future?