PDA

View Full Version : Seats for tall people

Reds92coupe
08-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Hey first off I apologize if this is in the wrong place. If it is feel free to move. I picked up a 92 coupe w/ sun roof. Im looking for seats that wont put my head out of the top of the car. Im 6"4' and 215 lbs. 36 inch waist. Mostly legs. For me to not have my head scrape the roof i have to recline the seat a little bit. Im interested in the Sparco Evo II or the Buddy Club wide seats. The only reason im asking is cause i have nowhere to go and sit in seats to find the perfect one. If you have any other recommendations let me know. Open to almost anything. would like to stick to sub 1000 seats. Another ? is if i was to get one of said seats which seat rail should i pick up? Nagisa is pretty expensive and bride isnt far behind. i heard buddy club rails dont really sit that low so thats out of the question.

jr_ss
08-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Your issues aren't so much the seat, but the brackets themselves. You'll need brackets that allow you to mount the seat as low as possible to get some clearance. Some people have even modified the cat hump so that they can sit lower than allowed with the cat hump intact. I'm about 6ft and have a Status bucket with the Planted 2pc low mounts(lowest available from them for mounting) and I have a few inches of clearance in my sunroofed S14. I need to verify I can fit with a helmet on.

Reds92coupe
08-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Thats exactly what i read. So are you saying i would need to hammer down the cat hump and do a custom bracket that mounts the the floor, or is there a bracket that i can mod that would gain me some head room? Im just learning about this car so im searching but just asking questions on stuff ive read. also would the evo 2 be good for me with a 36 inch waist? Thanks

89hatchman
08-19-2013, 12:02 AM
we're nearly the exact same height. I'm just a fraction of an inch under 6'4". What I ended up doing is getting an OMP seat, and the buddy club super low rails....

But fuck, in its lowest position it wasn't low enough. I had to flip the mounts on the seat and beat the shit out of some of the mounting points with a hammer to get it where I needed it. The seat is nearly on the ground now in the back and is a little higher in the front due to the exhaust hump, but as it sits I have a bit of head room with a helmet on

rbs14kouki
08-19-2013, 04:46 AM
Powered by max designed some super low rail for side mount seat ! I just dont know if they put them for sale yet !

Reds92coupe
08-19-2013, 04:47 AM
Forgive my ignorance but what is OMP seat? Also I heard that the BC rails were not low enough. But I guess best rails to mod since they accept fat boy seats. I was also wondering if it would be a problem if I just mounted it to the floor. I'm the only one that drives the car so no need for a slider. I'm guessing that would be the easiest way to get lower. I may be wrong so more info would be great.

sleepyS14se
08-19-2013, 06:45 AM
i seem to have clearance issues too. I am 6'1" and i have maybe 1 1/2-2" between my head and the roof liner. i can see myself having more problems with a helmet on, Lol. By the way i have a s14.

I just got my s14 running and haven't even driven it yet being i have no driveshaft. But before i ever sat in the car i assumed it had plenty of room being the size of car i never thought it was such a tight fit in the car. I must say even though it is a little small inside it is quite comfy feeling to me when i sit in it.

jr_ss
08-19-2013, 10:16 AM
You have stock seats Sleepy, that doesn't apply to this topic.

OMP is a seat manufacturer, a brand. Making the cat hump flat will gain you quite a bit of clearance, but it's all custom brackets once that is done. Everything on the market right now is for factory bolt holes/configuration.

Reds92coupe
08-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Im not worried about the brackets being custom. Actually i prefer it. I'm not the average size so average brackets wont fit the build. Like i said ill be driving this car 100% of the time so sliders will be kinda useless. just need some space for my head without the seat leaned all gangster style, hurts the back after a while. Would Sparco Evo 2's and custom super duper low brackets give me the head room im looking for? or do i absolutely need to mod the cat hump. Thanks for helping guys

e1_griego
08-19-2013, 02:48 PM
If you tilt the seat back you should have all the headroom you need. Just need to space the steering wheel out to be comfortable.

I use Evo 2 plus on a custom rail and have helmet room without too much fuss. Haven't modded the floor pan at all.

jr_ss
08-19-2013, 02:49 PM
You can mount the side brackets straight to the floor if you'd like. Which means you won't need custom brackets, however I would use a backing plate on the underside of the car. That still requires you to bang the hump out.

Reds92coupe
08-19-2013, 02:55 PM
well seeing as ill probably never sell the car i might as well go all out and do it totally custom to fit me. So if i mount the seat to the floor with crazy low brackets and a back plate under the car with the hump eliminated to whatever extent it can be, will i have any other problems? I seriously cannot believe how helpful you guys are. i expected to get search like a million times like i didnt even try

sleepyS14se
08-20-2013, 08:39 AM
You have stock seats Sleepy, that doesn't apply to this topic.

OMP is a seat manufacturer, a brand. Making the cat hump flat will gain you quite a bit of clearance, but it's all custom brackets once that is done. Everything on the market right now is for factory bolt holes/configuration.

can someone clarify what the hell a cat lump is?!!!:blah:

transmission tunnel lump on the floorboard?!

Reds92coupe
08-20-2013, 08:51 AM
The cat hump is under your driver seat and under that I believe is the exhaust. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

gambit420s
08-20-2013, 09:33 AM
While it won't effect head clearance, you may want to pay attention to the placement of the belt holes, If they aren't about your shoulders it will force you to mount the belts at a downward angle increasing spinal compression in a crash.

Most XL fit seats have a belt holes in a higher location to allow for the belts to be placed 90* or higher for tall drivers

Reds92coupe
08-20-2013, 09:39 AM
I actually never thought of that. So a sparco evo 2 should be ok do I need to mod the belts or run schroths with a roll cage?

jr_ss
08-20-2013, 10:24 AM
can someone clarify what the hell a cat lump is?!!!:blah:

transmission tunnel lump on the floorboard?!

The cat hump is under your driver seat and under that I believe is the exhaust. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct. One of catalytic converters is located below that bulge in the floorboard.

Reds92coupe
08-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Hey I need advice on seats preferably sparco evos. Which one would I need being 6"4 215 lbs with a 36-38 waist. Which one would best fit me? Or another good seat manufacturer.

jr_ss
08-20-2013, 10:35 AM
I couldn't tell you. I have a Status Ring in my car. My best suggestion to you is find a place that sells these seats and test fit. People have different comfort levels and what may work for you may no for others. Sparco, OMP, Bride, Recaro, etc all make great seats, with varying costs.

sleepyS14se
08-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Is there any way to install a nice seat such as the ones jr ss is referring to but retain the oem seatbelt? would that work? my friend has a corbeau racing seat that i can have that came out of a porsche race car but i like my seat belts but i like the feel of the racing seat

Reds92coupe
08-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Well I would love to go try various seats so I wouldn't have to ask such vague questions. But no shops around me have seats for me to try. From what I read the evo 2's should fit. But what I read and what is right could be 2 different things. If anyone can chime in with some suggestions would be greatly appreciated.