PDA

View Full Version : By the time I'm ready to buy a 240SX, I won't be able to afford one.

M.Piedlourde
05-04-2004, 07:35 AM
Thank you Initial D and Import Tuner. WTF.

Look at this BS. Autotrader is FULL of ads like this. Take a close look at the asking price, the mileage, and, most importantly, the last line of the ad. I understand the concept of supply and demand, but the fact that a-holes like this are asking this much for what are essentially (in stock form and typical condition) shitty old used cars is pissing me off.

1992 Nissan 240SX $3,700

1992 240sx 219k white 5 speed. Engine was replaced and has 80k miles on it. Has brain freezing A/C . Runs good with all mechanics and electrical working. Perfect for drift and sr20det swap.

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

SimpleS14
05-04-2004, 07:56 AM
lol

I post my car for $5000 o.b.o I made sure to add in terms such as "SR" and "Silvia conversion". :rofl:

lilredstiffy
05-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Yikes. I picked up my car about 3 years ago with less than half that mileage for about the same price.

thelinja
05-04-2004, 09:13 AM
Not everyone is selling them overpriced. Hell, I got my car for 2700 under book value 2 years ago. If you keep looking, you'll find one. I see S13's all of the time in the classifieds in the newspaper for <2000. Not everyone knows about the recent increase in demand.

BSeay
05-04-2004, 09:35 AM
yea all of a sudden i check auto-trader and there is like more 240's with kits and shit on there now.....they all used to be stock....

M.Piedlourde
05-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Not everyone is selling them overpriced. Hell, I got my car for 2700 under book value 2 years ago. If you keep looking, you'll find one. I see S13's all of the time in the classifieds in the newspaper for <2000. Not everyone knows about the recent increase in demand.

Yes, I've been keeping an eye on the local classifieds. The 240SX ass-reamings aren't quite as bad there, when the cars do pop up, which isn't often these days.

Unfortunately for me, I want a specific color, so I may end up bending over. We'll see.

M.Piedlourde
05-04-2004, 09:57 AM
yea all of a sudden i check auto-trader and there is like more 240's with kits and shit on there now.....they all used to be stock....

Right, right. And all of the sellers are apparently expecting $10k+ for the cars.

:hahano: :hahano: :hahano: :loco:

nissantuner22
05-04-2004, 10:37 AM
i got my excellent condition 93 coupe a few months ago for 1500 cash from the original owner ( whose only like 28 ) only thing it needed was AC recharged, runs like a top. you could eat off the engine bay. First thing we talked about was what I was buying the car for. I told him I wanted a RWD car I could build up for fun. He commented how lately everyones doing the SR20 swap (i was surprised he knew) and he told me he was going to drop an SR into it in 98, but never could justify putting more money into his car. so he just kept it stock and clean.

240Driver39
05-04-2004, 11:07 AM
Unfortunately for me, I want a specific color, so I may end up bending over. We'll see.

Id say beggars cant be choosers...what color is it that u want so bad? id be more concerned with gettin a good car...b4 a particular color

M.Piedlourde
05-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Id say beggars cant be choosers...what color is it that u want so bad? id be more concerned with gettin a good car...b4 a particular color

In order of importance:

1) Condition
2) Color (white, since you asked)
3) Price

The color is much more important to me than getting a really good deal. Stupid? Probably. But it means something to me. So, like I said, I may end up bending over a little on price. It's a seller's market at the moment. And even though price isn't the top deciding factor, I still don't get any enjoyment in paying $4000 for a $1500 car. ;)

nightwalker
05-04-2004, 12:00 PM
hahaha, idiots are buying them, modifying them, then realizing that 240s are not as COOL as they seem to be, and girls don't give a rats ass about a 10+ year old car, they sell their half ass modiied riced out cars. But they think they can get 3000+ for a piece of shat car because "they're so HOT right now".

I got mine, from original owner for 1200. Interior was perfect, exterior had some flaws, nothing major. My buddy also just picked up a perfect, I mean PERFECT gold coupe, full leather interior, perfect running, perfect exterior 93 for $1000. the catcher? The owner was an older gentleman who said 20 plus kids called him everyday about the car, and decided to sell to my buddy because he sounded very professional. (He basically didn't want to show his car to a bunch of idiots kids is what he told us)

If you paid 3000+ for a S13, you basically bent yourself over, and handed the guy the lotion.

Replicant_S14
05-04-2004, 02:04 PM
And even though price isn't the top deciding factor, I still don't get any enjoyment in paying $4000 for a $1500 car. ;)

Ha! It's only a $1500 car if you can find one for that. I mean we always see people posting these great deals and all that, but maybe they're just lucky. You know what you want, so do the best you can. If you're happy with it, it really doesn't matter what anyone else paid.

BTW- It never hurts to make offers on the cars that seem to be priced to high. Write your offer on a card and leave it with them. You never know, they may get sick of dealing with sh*theads and decide to call you. I hate selling cars worse than buying them.

sykikchimp
05-04-2004, 02:18 PM
I bought my car almost 3 years ago from original owner with 90K miles for $3950, and I had to drive 250 miles to pick it up. Beautiful condition. It was expensive, but finding a sub 100K miles 240 is about impossible.

brianglawson
05-04-2004, 02:19 PM
i got mine for 575 with a blown ka...mold al over it....f**ked suspension....etc...i would have gladly payed more for it if i found a better one...to me they are worth a lil bit...but thats personal preference

Var
05-04-2004, 02:48 PM
hahaha, idiots are buying them, modifying them, then realizing that 240s are not as COOL as they seem to be, and girls don't give a rats ass about a 10+ year old car, they sell their half ass modiied riced out cars. But they think they can get 3000+ for a piece of shat car because "they're so HOT right now".

i bought one, modified it, and found out it doesnt handle as good as people say it does. i was pretty bitter, but then i found out i couldnt drive worth a damn so i learned..and still learning. The thing that makes it all good is i bought the car not knowing a damn thing about drifting...pretty much didnt know it existed. now i got a decent drift car. Lucky i chose that platform just cause it was cheap.

M.Piedlourde
05-04-2004, 02:52 PM
i bought one, modified it, and found out it doesnt handle as good as people say it does.

Doesn't handle as good as people say it does in comparison to?

Var
05-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Doesn't handle as good as people say it does in comparison to?

in comparison to what people say.

But personally i guess i've driven a lotta cars, even sedans that handle better. Lexus SC300(supra chassis) mostly any BMW, even 7 series, toyota trucks have better turn-in..integras, ae86, mustangs, the list goes on...

I've driven more than a few s13's and even one's in GT3 :)...

s13chica
05-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Chicks dig guys who drive 240's....

Var
05-04-2004, 04:38 PM

chicks who drive 240's dig guys who drive 240's

sykikchimp
05-04-2004, 04:42 PM
in comparison to what people say.

But personally i guess i've driven a lotta cars, even sedans that handle better. Lexus SC300(supra chassis) mostly any BMW, even 7 series, toyota trucks have better turn-in..integras, ae86, mustangs, the list goes on...

I've driven more than a few s13's and even one's in GT3 :)...

likely your s13 was fated as many of them are.. old bushings, bad alignments, and shitty tires. That or you just can't drive.. lol :ughd: :bow:

s13chica
05-04-2004, 04:44 PM
HAHAHA...very very true!

SilviaNinja240
05-04-2004, 04:45 PM
I think it's great news for owners, now I'll be able to sell my car for more than I bought it for! mwahahaha!

MakotoS13
05-04-2004, 04:52 PM
i paid bluebook for mine ($1400) cause i drove to 240 miles to pick it up and was too excited to haggle over a 100 bones or so. the new drift fad is gonna raise the prices of these cars. i was gonna pick up a red S13 5spd in worse condition than my current ride andd the guy wanted... 2500 bucks for that hoe! when he told me he'd get over the 1100 price tag i gave him i laughed in his fat hick face.

"yeah, ever since the fast and the furious these cars have been hot little items"

dirty hick...

pruto
05-04-2004, 04:56 PM
soo, the question is, what makes you think YOU deserve your 240sx more than the next guy? What makes you different?

and do you understand the concept of barganing? People NEVER expect to sell at their asking price. If they do, they're not asking enough for it.

Some people are whinning about this turning into a fad and 240sx being in high demand like its a bad thing. Does the market owe you something that says you should get your 240sx at the price it was at 6 months ago? What makes us so special that we deserve to hold on to the 240sx community, SR20 swaps, and drifting like its our own love child or something. Get over it. Its a good thing, parts are cheaper, more people to hang out with, events are easier to find. And people have been worried about this stupid price hike for the last 2 years now. Hasn't completely happened yet.

And you know what? some of us waited a LONG time to find out 240s when WE WERE READY TO BUY. And if you think finding a s13 is hard, how do you think those Hachi guys feel?

Ghettokracker71
05-04-2004, 04:57 PM

First time I showed my girlfreind the 240...she was like "you better get this....this thing is AWSOME"...going solely on how it looks.

Man...maybe I should sell my riced 240....lol....make a shitton more then what I payed for it/for parts for it

Var
05-04-2004, 06:53 PM
likely your s13 was fated as many of them are.. old bushings, bad alignments, and shitty tires. That or you just can't drive.. lol :ughd: :bow:

I have good bushings, good alignment and good tires. I can drive pretty decent now..

I'm saying compared to cars i've driven...240 is mehhh.. not bad though.

aa87
05-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Anybody ever ride in an Rx8? Can anybody compare handling?

citizen
05-04-2004, 08:43 PM
westboroughpimp car is set up well and he can drive. i would also have to agree with him on the fact that s13s don't handle as well as people say they do. my main concern is the understeer and sloppy powersteering.

zero.counter
05-04-2004, 09:00 PM
I think that it is one of those, "at the right place at the right time". deals...or at least it has been for me. My $3400 95 S14 SE with a complete system, 71k Miles, and immaculate interior/exterior and the $75 89 coupe with parted motor, which has been put back together for less than $200. They both happened by chance, my other cars were out of necessity...

HaLo
05-04-2004, 09:20 PM
So true!!! that's how I met my fiancée.. ;) But she drives a Supra now. :)

tsunami0ne
05-04-2004, 09:43 PM

Stock RX8 vs myS14 with springs, shocks, and lsd.... my s14 was better in terms of handling. Somehow, I don't think I was driving it properly because the rx8 was understeering for me coming out of the apex of every turn *shrug*. Maybe they had some cheap-o tires on the car when I drove it. But the RX8 was way faster and had some pretty good brakes. :ghey: Even the Mazdaspeed Miata handled better than the RX8.

tsunami0ne
05-04-2004, 09:44 PM
not only are the prices for 240s going up, SR20DET prices are slowly on the rise as well.

JtWo
05-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Slowly? Haha

MakotoS13
05-05-2004, 06:44 AM

i just drove the RX8 a few days ago and the handlilng is superb and it's road manners are freakin awesome. that car drives like automotive silk. compared to my 14 year old aging chassis it's jesus... for now. the 8 handles like a dream but isn't a buckboard on a bumpy road, that impresses me.

zenkiDori
05-05-2004, 06:57 AM
240 = new bandwagon car, thus prices rise.

if(Ricers++)
Price++;
if(car==BandWagonTrend)
Price++;

M.Piedlourde
05-05-2004, 07:45 AM
240 = new bandwagon car, thus prices rise.

if(Ricers++)
Price++;
if(car==BandWagonTrend)
Price++;

Is it? In Colorado?

Here in Virginia, there is no bandwagon. I see plenty of primered bodykit Civics, but I rarely see any 240SXs, modified or not. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a modified 240SX around here.

aznpoopy
05-05-2004, 08:23 AM
maybe its different out in cali, but here on EC the 'bandwagon' isn't as bad as people say. the few times other import ppl recognize my car, its cuz they are already driving a 240. ricers and the like ignore me most of the time. my car looks really stock though (stock 4 lugs, a smallish exhaust) so maybe that's why.

i don't think 240 prices have fluctuated that much... people asking alot for them is usually because they over-rate the worth of the car. when used cars hit a certain age the price stabilizes around 1-2k no matter what condition the car is in (barring super old junkers). the 240 is rare; but its def not so rare like the 86 where a few more ppl wanting it will cause the price to spike like 1-2k.

Ghettokracker71
05-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Is it? In Colorado?

Here in Virginia, there is no bandwagon. I see plenty of primered bodykit Civics, but I rarely see any 240SXs, modified or not. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a modified 240SX around here.

You are not looking hard enough:)

I've spotted a red S15 fronted S14 with a fucking huge FMIC,kitted with wheels...etc...in midlo.

There is an electric blue Fastback running around in chesterfield with the eastbear lights.

Stumpz has an SR20 in a fastback with wheels,and silvia projector front conversion (chesterfield)

I've seen two or three different pignoses just in the past week with wheels...and another primered one with what appears to be sportin' Nur Spec Exhaust.

I drive a cherry red hatch with wheels,ML320 lights,clear bumper lights...intake/exhaust its extremely clean and loud as a mofo :)

EDIT:In the past month I've definitely noticted a HUGE increase in drift type cars in my area. I spotted an MKIV with wheels,shaved off the spoiler...kitted and FMIC not even a mile from my house:eek: I've also seen aprimered Hachi(only one in my area on the street...) with exhaust,increase in kids running FC's off the rev limiter,and seen plenty of stock coupes/fastbacks with teens is a major increase.Also been getting a shitton more complements,thumbs-up(s) ,heads turning,and "the knod" from people.

G_Fish240
05-05-2004, 11:24 AM
its not that bad, you can still get them for good prices, imma be looking for another (maybe) soon since my got stolen. Whats really bad is hachis. You see rusted hachis go for 3000 daily

sykikchimp
05-05-2004, 02:02 PM
westboroughpimp car is set up well and he can drive. i would also have to agree with him on the fact that s13s don't handle as well as people say they do. my main concern is the understeer and sloppy powersteering.

I have a lot of on track experience with a lot of cars including many that you list there. I still say if your 240 handles worse than an AE86, a Toyota TRUCK, and a RUSTANG with a solid axle rear end, and shitty ass suspension tuning that is BUILT to push, there is something wrong with you or the car. period.

Var
05-05-2004, 02:09 PM
I have a lot of on track experience with a lot of cars including many that you list there. I still say if your 240 handles worse than an AE86, a Toyota TRUCK, and a RUSTANG with a solid axle rear end, and shitty ass suspension tuning that is BUILT to push, there is something wrong with you or the car. period.

no you are wrong. The end

i have driven more than a handful of s13's.

Burmonster
05-05-2004, 02:16 PM
My s13 when it had stock suspension and my s14 that still has a stock suspension both handled better then my 1998 Cobra (supposedly the best handling mustang due to the indepent rear suspension).

I am with sykikchimp on this one.

Var
05-05-2004, 02:36 PM
1-I'm 99% sure 98 mustangs still had solid rear..? but you owned one. Can anyone else confirm?

2-Ok..so maybe the Toyota truck didnt handle was well. That was a fib. but honestly i think the s13 has really bad turn-in especially stock. Maybe i just dont like the way they feel or something.. and on top of that i like to talk shit about s13's. And the mother of all reasons, no matter how stupid you guys may think it is.. The s13's in Gran Turismo 3 dont handle well, and they talk smack about em in the Drift Bible. And my opinion about it was already made up WAY before i knew anything about drifting, the drift king, and before i ever tried comparing it to other cars in GT3, before i heard anyone else's opinions on s13's understeer.

MakotoS13
05-05-2004, 02:57 PM
cobras have IRS. stock GT stangs handle a hell of a lot better than their much weaker siblings which some people base opinions on. i mean, they aren't vettes but the car is pretty well rounded when compared to f-bodies and stuff.

p.s. i like my s13 even in it's rough condition.

Var
05-05-2004, 03:13 PM
i was right

http://www.stangnet.com/specs/cobra2000drive.html

SVT Mustang Cobra Independent Rear Suspension
The 2000 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra continues as the first "pony-car" to receive an independent rear suspension (IRS), but unless you get underneath the car on a lift, it's difficult to appreciate the technical elegance that went into the design process. The Cobra's independent rear suspension was first introduced for 1999 on the redesigned SVT Mustang Cobra.

M.Piedlourde
05-05-2004, 03:55 PM
You are not looking hard enough:)

I've spotted a red S15 fronted S14 with a fucking huge FMIC,kitted with wheels...etc...in midlo.

There is an electric blue Fastback running around in chesterfield with the eastbear lights.

Stumpz has an SR20 in a fastback with wheels,and silvia projector front conversion (chesterfield)

I've seen two or three different pignoses just in the past week with wheels...and another primered one with what appears to be sportin' Nur Spec Exhaust.

I drive a cherry red hatch with wheels,ML320 lights,clear bumper lights...intake/exhaust its extremely clean and loud as a mofo :)

EDIT:In the past month I've definitely noticted a HUGE increase in drift type cars in my area. I spotted an MKIV with wheels,shaved off the spoiler...kitted and FMIC not even a mile from my house:eek: I've also seen aprimered Hachi(only one in my area on the street...) with exhaust,increase in kids running FC's off the rev limiter,and seen plenty of stock coupes/fastbacks with teens is a major increase.Also been getting a shitton more complements,thumbs-up(s) ,heads turning,and "the knod" from people.

Chesterfield? I don't visit the hick section of town very much. ;)

Just kidding. I live in the west end, and around here, the only 240SXs I see are beat up old stock models. I'll have to cruise around your part of town some Saturday night to see what modified ones I can spot.

Burmonster
05-05-2004, 08:20 PM
1-I'm 99% sure 98 mustangs still had solid rear..? but you owned one. Can anyone else confirm?

I am sorry, button slip, I owned a black/black 1999 Cobra. Sorry you did the research and all, feel kind of bad about that. But anyway, I still felt that the s-chassie cars handle better.

nightwalker
05-05-2004, 11:51 PM
someone sucks at driving.

You should be hung by your toes for saying a Rustang handles better than a S13. A S13 stock is pretty decent, a modified S13 will own many cars, even bmws, fag-stangs, and hachi-rokus.

I am not going to back up my stupid comment with any facts, or anything else for that matter. It's so you can reply in anger and we can have a flame war.

But if you were smart, you wouldn't argue too much about the S13 sucking, because this is Zilvia... (just in case you forgot)

Var
05-06-2004, 09:48 AM
someone sucks at driving.

You should be hung by your toes for saying a Rustang handles better than a S13. A S13 stock is pretty decent, a modified S13 will own many cars, even bmws, fag-stangs, and hachi-rokus.

I am not going to back up my stupid comment with any facts, or anything else for that matter. It's so you can reply in anger and we can have a flame war.

But if you were smart, you wouldn't argue too much about the S13 sucking, because this is Zilvia... (just in case you forgot)

Forget flamewars. How about a normal discussion. Okay let's assume i can't drive. If this was the case, then i wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a good handling and a not-so good handling car.

But since you guys are all lawyers, you all started attacking my driving skills and completely dismissed the main point of my post , which was how S13's handle when COMPARED TO OTHER CARS.. but nono...it cant be true cause this is Zilvia.. s13's are the best. my bad

Var
05-06-2004, 10:01 AM
That or you just can't drive

something is wrong with you car

someone sucks at driving

damn.. i feel so stupid. I was wrong all along. what was i thinking stating my opinion about the s13? . forget that everyone outside of this board, even Keiichi has the same opinion as me. It's all irrelevant. There's no way the s13 doesnt handle good.. Apparantly mine has a bent frame, and on top of the fact that i can't drive, this made me jump to a impossible conclusion.

The s13 DOES handle good. Better than the ae86. especially through the mountains. This is the s13's strong point.. your opponent takes his ae86 through the turn with a slight hint of oversteer, while your s13 keeps going straight...wait? isnt that understeer..??? NO IDIOT>> it's the s13's suspension computer calculating the shortest distance between 2 points. A STRAIGHT LINE!

MakotoS13
05-06-2004, 11:20 AM
i don't quite care about readin all of what ya said but it was pretty funny ;)

M.Piedlourde
05-06-2004, 01:24 PM
damn.. i feel so stupid. I was wrong all along. what was i thinking stating my opinion about the s13? . forget that everyone outside of this board, even Keiichi has the same opinion as me. It's all irrelevant. There's no way the s13 doesnt handle good.. Apparantly mine has a bent frame, and on top of the fact that i can't drive, this made me jump to a impossible conclusion.

The s13 DOES handle good. Better than the ae86. especially through the mountains. This is the s13's strong point.. your opponent takes his ae86 through the turn with a slight hint of oversteer, while your s13 keeps going straight...wait? isnt that understeer..??? NO IDIOT>> it's the s13's suspension computer calculating the shortest distance between 2 points. A STRAIGHT LINE!

:D

I appreciate your comments, pimp, especially since you've got a dissenting view from the majority. During the 8 long months that I owned a Camaro Z28, I discovered that handling ability is much, much, MUCH more important to me than straight-line prowess and power. I'm one of those people who just really likes driving, and I enjoyed my old Saturn SC beater more than the Z28, simply because it was a lot lighter and a lot more fun to drive. It's rare that I ever need to go 150mph on the street or soundly defeat the minivan next to me in a drag race. :)

Anyway, the supposed handling ability of the 240SX is one of the big reasons I'm drawn to it. Just about everyone says they drive great, but if you disagree with that opinion, I'm interested in hearing (reading) why you feel that way.

Var
05-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Dont get me wrong it's a great drive, it's just not what i thought i would be.. They understeer really bad sometimes for no apparent reason. The way i look at it is..The relation between the maximum g-force the car can pull and the maximum turn-in speed doesnt add up. In other words, the car can grip around a turn well, but compared to that grip level it has no turn in. But as far as control, it's great. Really well balanced and fun to drive. If you get in a pickle, it's pretty reasonable to get out of it..(not like the 86 though) I'm not trying to convince you to not get one. Just get enough toe out and negative camber , and make sure when you lower it the FIRST thing you do is get RUCA(rear upper control arms) cause that rear end has too much traction at that point. I drove the car with no LSD for the first year or so, big mistake. Got my 2-way now. Harder to touge with. Especially on downhill sweepers with the diff @ 100% lock. This is a whole different can of worms though. end rant

before you buy an S13, drive an S14 and an S13, then make your decision. Make sure whoever is letting you test drive lets you take some turns at the limit, even in a parking lot so you see how the car feels.