PDA

View Full Version : Glossary of Import terminology

SilviaNinja240
04-28-2004, 11:01 PM
I've been thinking about how in the import scene people are developing almost another kind of language in the sub-culture itself, simular as to ebonix. I've been thinking about the different terms people use and the meanings behind them.
I can only think of a few right now, but I know there's a lot of them out there. If anyone wants to add to the list, post a couple more :)

... I know there's a bunch of other terms out there. A bunch of Japanese ones people use, who don't even know Japanese, etc, etc. Keep building onto the list, would be interesting to see how involved is this sub-culture's language is.

Glossary of terms:

Ricer- someone who invests in cosmetic upgrades rather than preformance upgrades for their car.

JDM- used as a substitute for the word "Japanese".

Dori- ??? (a phrase with no real exact meaning but is is simular to the word "drift" maybe?)

Crew- a group of people that race or drive around together.

Touge- a difficult mountain pass/road.

ALTRNTV
04-28-2004, 11:25 PM
JDM- used as a substitute for the word "Japanese".

JDM stands for Japanese Domestic Market

Bliss
04-28-2004, 11:25 PM
drifting would fit in there...how many non-enthusiasts know wtf ur talking about without a vid. or explanation?

SilviaNinja240
04-29-2004, 12:18 AM
JDM stands for Japanese Domestic Market

I know that, but it's not used in the same context. Example: "That dude is JDM". Or "JDM girls are cute". Of course this doesn't make sence beacause you can't market people, at least not legaly, in a state economy. So your'e actully saying "That dude is Japanese" or "Japanese girls are cute" rather than saying a "domesticly produced person only for sale only in Japan is cute".

Another example is when people say "JDM beer" or something like "JDM food", if you were talking with some co-workers or friends (who arn't aware of the JDM term phanomina) and said "let get some JDM food", they'd be confused about why can't you say "let's get some Japanese food" instead. Same thing when you get to the restorant, "I'd like some JDM beer" rather than "I'd like some Japanese beer" sounds silly.

Just imagine saying something like "I'd like to watch USDM TV" or "USDM girls are slutty", it just sounds funny to the ear. My theory is that JDM was contrived from internet boards, like this one, just as shorten verison of the word Japanese. People would rather type a 3 letter acronym, than a 8 letter word. Such is how people started talking on the net, something like this: OMG, how r u 2day? Or.. y r u sad? Something like that. But anyways, the phrase stuck is now infused its way into normative Import terminology.

... I dunno why I spent so much thought on the subject, haha. Sleepless nights does crazy things to you.

ThatGuy
04-29-2004, 12:29 AM
Aren't most of the products actually Japanese Aftermarket anyway? Nobody says JAM though. Maybe I should start a new trend. LOL.

Andrew Bohan
04-29-2004, 01:02 AM
i went to a burger joint and asked the girl there what the stock toppings were hahah

anyway, yeah i agree, people use JDM to mean japanese. heck, even i do. i do it just as a joke, but all the car people i hang around with understand it.
jdm girls, jdm movies, jdm swords, jdm food, jdm music, etc...all good stuff

dori is just the first half of the word dorifuto

Salty_X
04-29-2004, 02:20 AM
i went to a burger joint and asked the girl there what the stock toppings were hahah
Golly gee willickers! Did ya really? That sounds like a gas!

Joint = Old jive-ass slang for place of business.

Personally I don't consider people who only modify their cars exterior to be ricers... IF it's done tastefully. If it looks ugly or looks race-car-y yet isn't, then it's rice IMO.

Drifta: A person who modifies their car to look, and possibly even to perform, like a drift car, yet lacks all driving skill to actually make it drift. Someone who poses by their fake drift car. Someone like myself or Nitekids. :mrmeph:

itslogics
04-29-2004, 02:37 AM
A slang term in japanese for a girl drifter is dorigaru, and I think the "JDM" word is over used.

aznpoopy
04-29-2004, 09:34 AM
I know that, but it's not used in the same context. Example: "That dude is JDM". Or "JDM girls are cute". Of course this doesn't make sence beacause you can't market people, at least not legaly, in a state economy. So your'e actully saying "That dude is Japanese" or "Japanese girls are cute" rather than saying a "domesticly produced person only for sale only in Japan is cute".

Another example is when people say "JDM beer" or something like "JDM food", if you were talking with some co-workers or friends (who arn't aware of the JDM term phanomina) and said "let get some JDM food", they'd be confused about why can't you say "let's get some Japanese food" instead. Same thing when you get to the restorant, "I'd like some JDM beer" rather than "I'd like some Japanese beer" sounds silly.

actually it makes pretty good sense and is a natural extension of american asian culture... jdm as a term is partially a sprout from terms like abc, fob, tbc, etc. that lots of asians use to categorize shit. a girl who was born in japan is jdm because she was born in japan and emmigrated here, thus she is litearlly japanese domestic manufacture - conceived while in japan. same as abc and abj 'american born chinese' & 'american born japanese.' these terms have been floating around for a while and jdm kind of crossed over from automotive culture. i suppose ur right that its gone beyond traditional meaning ... there are some japanese beers and food items that are made in the us now but still sold under their original labels; i guess ppl would also call that 'jdm'

boro240
04-29-2004, 01:22 PM
Aren't most of the products actually Japanese Aftermarket anyway? Nobody says JAM though. Maybe I should start a new trend. LOL.
maybe you should look up "domestic".

ThatGuy
04-29-2004, 03:01 PM
:mepoke: Blah, dictionaries are for pussies! LOL j/k I just wanted to see if anybody would pick up on it.
My personal Favorite is still all the Ebay JDM parts for Mustangs, Cavaliers and other U.S. cars. The worst in my opinion being the "Dreaded Mustang GTR". I know Ford now has a Concept GT-R, but it just looks like Factory Rice to me. Everybody wants to be a Nissan.
Rice-Stang (http://www.fast-autos.net/ford/gtrconcept5.html)

Var
04-29-2004, 03:21 PM
silvianinja...for the longest time i've been thinking that zilvia should have a glossary of terms. for the longest time i had no clue of what DSM was