PDA

View Full Version : CA smog question

joe3180
06-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Anyone know if a 89 240sx would pass smog legitimately with a ka24de? I just never really noticed what all they check...

06-06-2013, 08:33 AM
It should as long as all the smog equipment is there and its functioning properly

joe3180
06-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Ok. Thanks.

s14SRguy
06-06-2013, 08:44 AM
California you can't shit in your own bathroom without getting a smog ticket.

but these motherfuckers out here around the IE can drive their diesel f350's all lifted getting 10 gallons a mile, some with smokestacks (on a pickup truck lulz). but no im the gross polluter with my turbo 4 cylinder...

if everything is in fair condition on the car you shouldn't have any problems.

joe3180
06-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Thanks. I just get tired of throwing $200...or whatever it will be in a couple months when I get it done...when I could just swap a different motor in every couple years. I just need to get some money together to buy one and this will open up more possibilities than hunting down only a ka24e.

240boi115
06-06-2013, 10:41 AM
do you have an sr or something? i have a friend with a ka24e but no tranny.. that help at all?

zerodameaon
06-06-2013, 11:13 AM
My friend swapped in a DE to a 89 but was required to take the car to BAR before they would let him smog it since it is not the engine that came with the car for those years. Might wanna check that out as it seems to be hit or miss on that requirement.

joe3180
06-06-2013, 11:56 AM
do you have an sr or something? i have a friend with a ka24e but no tranny.. that help at all?

Yea sr. is the engine for sale?

My friend swapped in a DE to a 89 but was required to take the car to BAR before they would let him smog it since it is not the engine that came with the car for those years. Might wanna check that out as it seems to be hit or miss on that requirement.

ok. I kinda had a feeling about that. I just couldn't remember the name of the agency. Then they certify the engine has everything and maybe replaces the placard or something huh? Perhaps the de might be a last resort then.

LeaS13Zenki
06-06-2013, 02:33 PM
For smog check we check tail pipe emissions, ignition timing- has to be at factory set timing +- 2 degrees, we check your evap system, we check your check engine light if its on it will automatically fail if it does not work it will fail, we check to see all emission equipment is their, for 240sx that would be EGR, AIR injection, PCV, O2 sensor, catalytic converter vacuum solenoids, vacuum lines, gas cap, leaks, no ripped/broken wires ... Basically everything has to be in working order, nothing missing, broken or modified

So if you have a DE it should not pass, tho it can be ok because you swapped a newer motor which you can do but you have to have it cleared through the BAR and a REFEREE station

joe3180
06-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Good info. Thanks. I think I will have to find a sohc (porb end up buying a whole car with messed up paint or whatever) just to save me some headaches and de if all else fails. I just hope I can find one that works well and that I can get everything moved out together easy. If I had a garage to do my first swap I would already know how easy it is or isn't. The only thing that really has me concerned is if all my body wiring is there still on my car and taking out the sohc in one piece if ac lines are present. I would think everything would be fine but I don't think I will know until I try.

skizsystem
06-07-2013, 01:22 AM
I got my car smogged with a dohc in an 89 they didn't even notice

Vatche
06-07-2013, 02:55 AM
From all the info I have gathered over the years as long as the engine is of the same year or newer and has all of the smog equipment it would have in whatever car it came from. And it has to be passenger vehicle engine to passenger vehicle, truck to truck etc. same class of vehicle basically.

joe3180
06-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Ok. Good. So my options are still open. Happy to hear. Should make it easier. Thanks.

Homeboyx
06-07-2013, 11:35 AM
The worse that could happen is that you'll have to make an appointment with the referee for an engine change.