PDA

View Full Version : plz help me wit my s14

luiss14
05-30-2013, 08:16 AM
so im having charging issues my batt light is on. the car is running off my battery i have a read top optima i have tested the alt and its reads 13v correct me if im wrong but isn't it suppose to be sending out 14v?? if so with that one volt lost could that be my issue my battery is in my trunk... plz help idk what else to do

olskoolgamr
05-31-2013, 09:39 PM
Charging voltage should be around 13.8 to 14.8 volts. Any lower send the alternator to autozone to get tested for free, check ur draw on the charging system wires as well draw should be no more than .02 for each wire.

fliprayzin240sx
06-01-2013, 11:24 AM
What voltage are you seeing at the battery with the car running?

luiss14
06-01-2013, 02:48 PM
It's staying steady around 11.50 don't kno it's data cuz it's a strong batt I l didn't really see a draw What voltage are you seeing at the battery with the car running?

Kingtal0n
06-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Optima is one of those batteries that even when dead will put out good voltage. You need to check if the alternator is good, because that is usually what triggers the light on the dash. With the engine running, the voltage at the battery should significantly be higher than it is when the engine is not running. If you detect (via voltmeter) that there is no change when the engine is running, the alternator is either bad, or connected incorrectly.

Sileighty_85
06-01-2013, 11:06 PM
It's staying steady around 11.50 don't kno it's data cuz it's a strong batt I l didn't really see a draw

If you properly tested the alt and your getting 13+ volts your alt should be fine.

however if you are getting 11.50 at the battery while its running then you have an issue between the alt and battery.

you can also do the ghetto alt check my disconnecting the NEG battery cable while the engine is running and if it stays running then the alt is fine.

Of course some ppl with flail thier arms saying ooohhh youll short the diode in the alt by doing that... it kinda depend on design for that but Ive done it to 40+ times and never had an issue.

EsChassisLove
06-01-2013, 11:13 PM
What gauge wire are you using?