PDA

View Full Version : Potentially moving to VA with questions

Brian47590
05-22-2013, 12:42 AM
Hello everyone. I'm an avid forum reader (of many forums) mainly researching information so I rarely post anything because most topics have been covered somewhere. I have a '90 240sx hatch, a '98 240sx SE and a '01 Sentra SE (the one with the SR20)

Now I'm looking into moving to VA, Arlington/DC area, and was just curious about car laws and such in VA. I did find out that VA does yearly inspections. I'm from Iowa, and being a lenient state, we don't have inspections and quite frankly the cops here don't do anything unless your tint is too dark or exhaust is too loud. (Aside moving violations)
Example: My brother did a RHD swap in his FC. His friend was riding along with him holding the laptop (for Haltech) and they were pulled over for his stupid loud rotary exhaust note. The cop approached the driver window and his first thought was that the passenger was driving the car via the laptop.
So my questions would be:
How dumb are cops out there?
Do JDM or USDM swaps get in trouble? RB/SR/VH/2JZ... any...
Would it be adequate to swap all emissions over to pass test or can you eliminate them at all?
The 240sx's aren't my daily driver, the Sentra is, does that matter when I build my S13 or 14?
Any info on anything aftermarket "legality" would be great. I know that it is technically illegal to swap an older (than your car) motor regardless of state and I thought I saw that all RBs are technically illegal. Clarification would be great.
I don't mind breaking laws if they aren't enforced, just concerned on the ones that could cause me to lose a car or be unable to operate it.

Another option I considered: Both of my 240's are technically registered under my dad's name since I was too young to buy a car when I got them. (Currently 25) So possibly just leave them registered in Iowa? No testing? No BS?

ahenry778
05-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Im a Police Officer in Northern VA. Yes we have yearly inspections. And every two years you are required to pass an emmisions test. If you dont do it, You wont be able to renew tags. Window tint is very strict In VA so be ready for that. You can get improper equipment charge for loud exhaust. Just depends on the Officer.

Brian47590
05-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the reply and info. Great respect to you for being a Police Officer. I couldn't do it, the integrity isn't really there.

I'm completely new to the whole inspections and emissions testing, so my questions may seem a little ignorant.

When they do the emissions testing, what is it they are looking for? Like a universal CO2 ppm (parts per million) or a number specific to the car...? Just kinda throwing stuff out there. Maybe I'll do a search on that in google or something.
Window tint isn't a huge deal to me, I'm not (as people i know would say) "hood".

As far as the exhaust goes, and not that I'm trying to be a prick about it cause quite frankly I hate obnoxiously loud exhaust, but if you were to get a "faulty equipment" ticket but your exhaust meets the standards of the law, then you can fight it.

Example: My brother (because of his insanely loud rotary exhaust) got pulled over because it was loud. He got a faulty equipment ticket and was told to get it fixed. Iowa state law says that you must have a manifold, piping and a muffler, and there is another law stating that it must exit out the rear of the vehicle. He then took his car too his exhaust shop for them to "inspect", got a note from them that it was ok, took pictures of the underside of the car and took this all to court and won. It may have been easier to just pay the ticket vs. going through the trouble he did, but now he doesn't get bothered with it.

^Just an example, I'm not as arrogant as he is. But also with his setup he would fail an inspection or emissions test before he even got out of the car because of how rich it is. (Much tuning needed and he seems to not really want to listen to me.)

Anyhow, anything from anyone is greatly appreciated.

ahenry778
05-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Yeah that sounds justifiable.

As far as emmisions. Im not positive of what all the test either. I know your check engine light cant be on, and you have to have all o2 censors. They have like a "sniffer" on the exhaust. I guess testing carbon levels or something. The county sets up these trucks on the side of the road, that can smell your emmisions when you drive by, and snaps a picture of your tag. Then they send a ticket in the mail.

Brian47590
05-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Wow, thanks again. I'm sure I'll learn a lot more once I get out there. I need to finish school and get a real job before I go dumping money into my cars. Not that I was too terribly worried about it, but was just more curious about the whole thing since it's new to me. I see the tests as being another hurdle to consider into any build I would do Even though it would maybe cost more and take a little longer to tune, I would probably enjoy my car more if it was cleaner and didn't sound and smell like a jalopy.

WreckedS14
07-01-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm roughly 3 hours from the DC area (Augusta County) and as long as you drive a muscle car/domestic, you're pretty much safe when it comes to the visual exhaust modification and/or noise limit. I've been told by the cops in my area that any sort of exhaust modification is illegal.

DC cops have seemed to be less strict than in my area. I've spent plenty of time in DC (not in any of my "modified" cars) and I've been in multiple cars that should never have been on the street (At least loudness wise: drift cars, Honda's, Camaro's, etc.) and when it came to the cops, they would keep a close eye on the car while driving by but would never follow us or pull us over. Maybe we were lucky?

If you're looking to move into a decent, smaller town, look into downtown Staunton (Staunton in general). The economy is great, all sorts of work, no emmisions testing, relatively inexpensive housing. There are architecture firms, law offices, production studios, fine restaurants, dealerships, etc.

jorge1190
07-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Northern Virginia (up to Prince William County) all do emissions testing every two years.

Anything south of Stafford County does not do emissions testing. Officers will bug you for exhaust, it just depends how loud your car is. State trooper are the worst and then specific counties tend to be worse than others.

If you have family in VA keep your car registered in a county that does not do emissions. My brother lives in central virginia so my car is registered at his house and my truck (05 Titan) is registered where I live since it is stock.

You will get hassled for tint, they hate it. Also a few people I know have gotten their tags taken from them because of extreme illegal mods such as being incredibly lowered and loud.

Also www.ma240sx.net is our local forum.

Spring Break '92
07-09-2013, 06:30 AM
Hahahaha, wow, you are moving to the wrong state for modified vehicles. As stated above, tinted windows are a big thing here. Tinted anything really. I got a ticket for tinted tail lights once. There are no emissions tests except for in northern VA. The cops are not up on engine swaps unless they themselves are enthusiasts who probably have swaps, which would make them hypocrites. Just dont drive like an idiot.

smokescreen240
07-09-2013, 06:51 AM
^^he's right, don't drive like an asshat, and you'll be fine. i drive a 350z, with full exhuast, lowered on all 4 corners and tinted all around. I'm not bothered by cops. be responsible, and save the racing or sliding for the track and you'll be cool.