PDA

View Full Version : Flush mount hood pins- any options other than Aerocatch???

bussitcustoms
05-18-2013, 03:01 PM
I had my OEM hood latch fail on me and my hood came up. Now (after a new roof skin and a full dip), Id like to get some hood pins to make sure it doesnt happen again. I really hate the way most hood pins look, and ideally would prefer not to have them, but Ill be damned if Im gonna put another roof skin on this bitch. So im in the market for flush mounted pins, ie- pins that dont protrude from the surface of the hood. The only ones like this that ive found are aero-catch, or aero-catch knock off. Ive used the aero's on my roommates s13, and I was highly disappointed with the quality. Both of them jam up easily, and it takes a flathead to unjam them. One of them also completely released while the car was being driven, even though they were installed properly and fully latched. (trust me, after the ordeal with my car, we double and triple checked them). So Im looking for something that will be similarly flush, but not the shitty quality that ive experienced from the aero-catches. I plan to paint them the same color as the hood in hopes that their presence will not be intrusive to the look of the car.

Any advice?

living4surf
05-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Top secret makes some

EsChassisLove
05-18-2013, 03:17 PM
I've used two sets of aero catches for years and they haven't jammed.

Installing them wrong will make them jam. User error don't knock the product.

It completely released while you were driving? How? They are under spring tension.

bussitcustoms
05-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Top secret makes some

They appear to be the exact same design as the aero-catches, and Im concerned about them jamming as well. I also cant find any reviews of either brand where people had trouble with them jamming. Maybe I got a bad pair?

bussitcustoms
05-18-2013, 03:20 PM
I've used two sets of aero catches for years and they haven't jammed.

Installing them wrong will make them jam. User error don't knock the product.

I installed them as instructed by a write-up online, and installed them with somebody who had used them before. Neither of us could see anywhere where the install may have gone wrong. Aside from installing them crooked or missing screws, I dont see how you even could install them wrong.

bussitcustoms
05-18-2013, 03:22 PM
It completely released while you were driving? How? They are under spring tension.

The little button that you push to pop them open must not have had a strong grip. The car hit a bump, and one of the pins popped open. It didnt pull all the way back through the mounting pin, but the latch itself popped up. To release the hood I still would have had to pull it back further.

Also, they were jamming before they were even installed. Straight out of the package. Probably every 15th or so attempt at closing them, they would jam.

EvilRB
05-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Are you sure you didn't get the knock off china aerocatches??
Cause they are a piece of shit but the real deal ones are strong.

If you got them off of ebay or something buyer beware!

living4surf
05-18-2013, 03:31 PM
I had knock offs that Jammed all the time are you sure yours were real

bussitcustoms
05-18-2013, 03:31 PM
They were purchased from a legitimate shop that has a good reputation, and the price was for the real deal. I'd say I'm about 98% sure theyre real.

EsChassisLove
05-18-2013, 03:45 PM
There's a "legitamate" shop down here in SD that sells "real" items. But all their shit comes from china. Funny how that works.

Some shops will sell knock offs as real.

EvilRB
05-18-2013, 03:48 PM
LOL sorry to say man that always doesn't mean they are... you have to look at the packaging and the pins themselves...
You would be surpised at the things I see here, now they are even making knock offs of knock offs...
In SoCal we get everything...

SofaKingFast
05-18-2013, 03:49 PM
You have to grease the aerocatch pins periodically to make sure they don't jam. It used to happen to me all the time too but not since I started lubing it up. Also like some others have said, its easy to install these wrong. I've installed 4 sets on all of my cars and love them.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Bmxer300zx
05-18-2013, 05:03 PM
SAME^
I have had mine for 2 years no problems and love them. Anytime they start to stick or unlatch sloppy I grease the inside slider pin and spring slightly and work great.

1320VR4
05-18-2013, 05:39 PM
I've got real aero's on my Stealth and they're awesome. I did have one of them start to bind up a little bit but it was because there was dirt and crap in there. I blew it out and re-lubed it and it has been perfect since. You definitely have to keep them oiled

Matt

bussitcustoms
05-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Cool, Ill try greasing the ones on my buddy's s13 and see if that helps. If it solves the problem, Ill probably give them another shot.

!Zar!
05-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Just buy the metal one from Bings.

bings.ca (http://www.bings.ca/index.php?page=subsection&parent=2&child=8)

NNOCENT
05-18-2013, 07:49 PM
only other flush option is dzus fasteners

http://gforceracecars.com/diyFiles/self%20ejecting%20dzus.jpg

Matej
05-18-2013, 08:02 PM
'Flush-mount' hood pins are dumb because everyone can still see them anyway. Just get regular non-pretentious hood pins.

EsChassisLove
05-18-2013, 08:20 PM
'Flush-mount' hood pins are dumb because everyone can still see them anyway. Just get regular non-pretentious hood pins.

Flush doesn't mean hidden. It means flush. As in flat with another surface.

Learn to English dumbass hahaha

Matej
05-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Flush doesn't mean hidden. It means flush. As in flat with another surface.

Learn to English dumbass hahaha
Ironically, they are not 'flush as in flat with the surface of the hood' either.

silva.240
05-18-2013, 09:02 PM
the ones from bings are pretty awesome. the price is right too

bussitcustoms
05-19-2013, 12:44 AM
Just buy the metal one from Bings.

bings.ca (http://www.bings.ca/index.php?page=subsection&parent=2&child=8)

BINGO. Thank you, that is exactly what I plan to buy now.:bigok: