PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions

addicted2sp33d
04-25-2004, 02:03 AM
I have a bit of a dilemma. I went to DD15 today.

My car was parked in the pit area, and I was in another part of the pit-area hanging out with some friends. One of my friends comes running up to me frantically, and says, "Dude! An EZ-Up fell on your car! You'd better come look!"

Our Pit neighbor had an EZ-Up tent, and he didn't secure it properly. It blew over onto my car, and took a good sized chunk out of my rear bumper. Thank God it didn't hit the body, or glass.

My car is a 1997 Pearl White SE 5-Speed. 80k miles. Pristine. Everything works, nothing is broken (besides the retarded 3rd gear synchro). Paint is flawless (well, not anymore).

Everyone who knows me knows I baby my car, and I wash/wax it every weekend unless it's raining.

Dude said that it was a complete accident, and that he shouldn't really have to pay me anything. He had the nerve to bring up the waiver that we sign to get onto the track, and his buddy backed him up and said, "Dude, it's a drift car, [censored] happens". His buddy drives a pretty beat-up S13 hatch.

His car got pretty scratched up too (Red Kouki S14), because it was under the EZ-Up when the thing decided it wanted to fly. I feel bad for the guy, but in the end, I really don't think I'm supposed to let this just "slide". The fact remains: his negligence allowed his tent to hit my car.

What should I do? And has anyone else had similar experiences?

plan b
04-25-2004, 03:06 AM
you said it yourself, his negligence caused this.

people's court

Xren17
04-25-2004, 04:15 AM
If someone got in an accident with me while we're driving, then I can see both of us accepting our lost. But if someone threw something and hit my car while it's park at the event, I will hold them liable for the damages. So I would hold the guy with the EZ-Up liable, because if you did something irresponsible, you should be a man about it and pay for it. Just because you signed a waiver doesn't give you a right to go around bashing other people cars.

old_s13
04-25-2004, 11:14 AM
its his shit.. he's liable.

Burmonster
04-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Waivers dont mean shit. You cant sign away your rights or constitutional privilages.

He should pay for it.

zenkiDori
04-25-2004, 01:10 PM
lol, why are you so concerned with keeping a drift car immaculate? it's not going to happen, unless of course, you don't really drive it. what i would do is talk to the guy and see if he can get you a replacement bumper(it's stock, right?). if he can find you one, snazzy. also i'd stop being so concerned about the way your car looks. if/when you start seriously getting at it(drifting) your shit is gonna break all over the place. i'm not taking his side at all, it was pretty dick of him to not even offer to help repair it, but some things are just not worth the trouble. if he's a dick like that he'll fight you all the way and you'll spend more money in court than you would to fix the bumper or better yet, just letting it slide.

addicted2sp33d
04-25-2004, 01:45 PM
lol, why are you so concerned with keeping a drift car immaculate?

I suppose I could ask a similar question: why do you assume that a drift-car has to be in poor cosmetic condition? It's my daily driver... is ot so wrong to want to have a nice looking car?

In any case, I'm a bit conflicted, because I doubt I'll be able to find a shop that will repair it without repainting the entire bumper... and that won't be cheap, 'cause it's plastic, and it's a pearl-color. Triple-digit prices at least... and I don't want to do that to the guy.

I'll have to think about this some more...

Thanks for all your input.

old_s13
04-25-2004, 02:13 PM
bah thats bullshit.. "drift cars" arent supposed to look a certain way, thats trendy bullshit "i ziptie my bumper because im an idiot and cant drive.. haha look at me im k00l!"

fuck that, i can understand a car supposed to look "DRIVEN" -- thats much different than a car thats abused. More importantly, he didnt even do the damage.. so the mothafucka that SLIPPED is the one thats supposed to pay.

You walk down the street, trip, and fall onto someone's car -- YOU leave a dent -- YOU are the cockhead who is supposed to pay.

I tell the guy.. "hey.. gimme money to fix what you fucked." the guy responds "no.. sorry.. you signed the contract" -- i tell him "Okay.. then I am going to smash something of yours that YOU value in return!"

thats the way i see it. this is also the way takumi's dad saw it, hence the reason he BEAT HIS ASS for fucking up the corolla during that tape deathmatch. AND, we all know takumi's dad is the fucking MAN.

- mike

MakotoS13
04-25-2004, 05:07 PM
lol, why are you so concerned with keeping a drift car immaculate?

what the hell kind of a question is that? thats like the time somebody chiped one of my guitars and he was like "man, it's gonna get messed up anyways". stupid.

zero.counter
04-25-2004, 05:29 PM
thats the way i see it. this is also the way takumi's dad saw it, hence the reason he BEAT HIS ASS for fucking up the corolla during that tape deathmatch. AND, we all know takumi's dad is the fucking MAN.

- mike
Uhhh, please tell me that this is an attempt at comedy and that your life or some of your ideals are not based off of a cartoon...:rofl:

Anyways, threadstarter...pursue the tent owner. His comment about "drift cars this and drift cars that", will not hold in court as it is opinion and the judges in small claims have better thing to do than research the validity of a motorsport's idealogy.

Responsibility is a trait not found often and as Mike said, if they (drifting groupees) see it that way, then apply the same logic and accidentally hit them, citing the signed agreement for releasing anyone from responsibilty for damages or injury. You could have stated that after looking at the gut wrenching damage to your prized possesion, the fact the the tent had fallen and was now blocking your view, and your pain and anguish, you accidentally hit their whatever by accident. That would have been a somewhat avenged alternative to our slow wheels of justice. It was wrong and they were directly in front of you. I don't see this as a flagrant lawsuit but more of an example to be set at those events.

Besides, the agreement may only release the track property owners of damages but not necessarily partons and/or participants. Look into it. :)

nightwalker
04-25-2004, 05:57 PM
don't let this shit slide. Did you get his number at least? Fuck, get him to pay you.

old_s13
04-25-2004, 08:07 PM
what the hell kind of a question is that? thats like the time somebody chiped one of my guitars and he was like "man, it's gonna get messed up anyways". stupid.

or even better "hey man, sorry for having dirty anal bukkake sex with your girlfriend.. it was bound to happen anyway." haha okay okay, not that extreme.. but you fuck faces get the picture. If someone is gonna thrash their car, let it be the OWNER thank you much.

Uhhh, please tell me that this is an attempt at comedy and that your life or some of your ideals are not based off of a cartoon...

Yes, my ideals are based on that cartoon. Why? Because I practice sliding and driving my car in the canyons and after all these years I still havent smashed anything or made any major mistakes.

Bragging? No. Am I learning quick? No. I am just saying, you can take things slow and do things at your own pace, have fun, be safe.. and limit yourself on the probability of making a mistake. This is why learning the slow way is always the safer alternative.

zero.counter
04-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Uhhh, please tell me that this is an attempt at comedy and that your life or some of your ideals are not based off of a cartoon...

Yes, my ideals are based on that cartoon. Why? Because I practice sliding and driving my car in the canyons and after all these years I still havent smashed anything or made any major mistakes.

As long as no one tries basing their ideals on a cartoon like La Blue Girl and attempts or even succeeds at being a school teacher in an all girls catholic school or even on Gundam Wing and attempts or succeeds at being political leader of some sorts then its all good (in reference to OZ). Carry on...

element240
04-25-2004, 09:29 PM
wtf, it sounded like that guy didn't even care about your car... how gay.
get him to cover the cost of the repair!

Jeff240sx
04-26-2004, 12:16 AM
Ask him politely to fix it. Ask him not-so politely to fix it. If steps 1 and 2 fail, meet him at a drift event, and just devastate his car with some item, "accidently", of course. Then, give him the same BS speech.
It's like this. There is a junkyard in Florida, Copher's U-Pull It. They have rows of cars up on welded-rim stands, and you sign a waiver saying it's not their fault if you get hurt or hurt yourself. But, the guy can't just punch you in the jaw after you signed that waiver... right? Same deal in your situation.
-Jeff

zenkiDori
04-26-2004, 04:32 AM
I suppose I could ask a similar question: why do you assume that a drift-car has to be in poor cosmetic condition? It's my daily driver... is ot so wrong to want to have a nice looking car?

oh not at all, i don't have a drift specific car, they are both daily drivers, however i wouldn't have a fit if some paint came off here and there. my buddy had an IMMACULATE red MCS14. best condition one i've seen on the road, but he had a little encounter with the side of the road and lost a good deal of paint on his rear bumper. he fretted for about 10 minutes, then went home and stuck a sticker on it, done. like i said, it was dick of him, but if it were me i'd just write him off as an ass and let it slide. it would be a long and expensive process getting him to pay for anything on your car and you may drag the drift days thru the mud as well, if you are that concerned talk to someone in charge and maybe the threat of them being banned from drift days will help them find the goodwill to offer to pay.

and for all you guys' lame ass analogies, it sounds like an honest accident to me, you can't accidentally have sex with someone's girlfriend, as if that were even in the same ballpark. if you cars are like your girlfriends you got issues. maybe try getting a life?

doriftokouki
04-26-2004, 02:03 PM
oh not at all, i don't have a drift specific car, they are both daily drivers, however i wouldn't have a fit if some paint came off here and there. my buddy had an IMMACULATE red MCS14. best condition one i've seen on the road, but he had a little encounter with the side of the road and lost a good deal of paint on his rear bumper. he fretted for about 10 minutes, then went home and stuck a sticker on it, done. like i said, it was dick of him, but if it were me i'd just write him off as an ass and let it slide. it would be a long and expensive process getting him to pay for anything on your car and you may drag the drift days thru the mud as well, if you are that concerned talk to someone in charge and maybe the threat of them being banned from drift days will help them find the goodwill to offer to pay.

and for all you guys' lame ass analogies, it sounds like an honest accident to me, you can't accidentally have sex with someone's girlfriend, as if that were even in the same ballpark. if you cars are like your girlfriends you got issues. maybe try getting a life?

If addicted2sp33d did the damage himself like your friend with the most immaculate s14 did then he would not have made this post. Someone else damaged the car, because they neglected to make sure their property didnt fall into someone elses. This situation is different, the fact that someone else did the damage and he did nothing makes him the victim, and the guy should pay for what he did to his car, understand?

zenkiDori
04-26-2004, 03:22 PM
indeed, but is it even worth it to pursue? the other guy is not in the right here, if it were me i prolly woulda taken a same size chunk out of his bumper and rattled off the "oh that sucks, you signed the waiver sucka" speech. it just depends on how bad you want it. if it were me i'd talk to the organizers and that's aboot it. wouldn't be worth my time to pursue him in court or anything.

Replicant_S14
04-26-2004, 03:47 PM
if it were me i'd talk to the organizers and that's aboot it. wouldn't be worth my time to pursue him in court or anything.

Yup, that's what I'd do. Any time or effort I put into making some no-account loser pay me for something that small would cost more than than just getting it done myself. The trick is making it clear to them that you took care of it because they weren't even man enough to own it.

addicted2sp33d
04-26-2004, 11:38 PM
For the record, my car was 20-30 feet away from his tent's original location.

After some thought, and since I'm gonna have to repaint anyways, I've decided it's all a good excuse to get a widebody kit to replace everything...

Thanks for all your comments, and all of you people who dislike clean/pretty race/drift cars will have more reason to hate my car. ;)

Brian
04-26-2004, 11:47 PM
my personal feelings on the matter:
by BHARTE

first and foremost i will state what i think should happen.
he should give you $x.xx amount of money for a fix to your car. i left the numbers blank because i dont know what the price should be.
i dont think he needs to buy a new bumper or anything outrageous like that. i do however, feel like he should give you some compensation for the problem. i am thinking a bottle of touch up paint is what would be sufficient.
i don't know what the damage actually looks like, but if it is cery minor, i wouldnt worry about it too much.
i just hope you arent one of those poeple who tries to milk other people for lots of money for something that is actually very miniscule.
well i guess it looks like you are shit out of luck. if you didnt get his name or any info, you need to just life your life. there are more important things that little blemishes in your car.

M.Piedlourde
04-27-2004, 08:44 AM
Dude said that it was a complete accident, and that he shouldn't really have to pay me anything. He had the nerve to bring up the waiver that we sign to get onto the track, and his buddy backed him up and said, "Dude, it's a drift car, [censored] happens". His buddy drives a pretty beat-up S13 hatch.

Ah, no. That's not the way things work. A "complete accident"? Oh, OK. I guess if he t-boned someone at an intersection and sent them to the hospital, since he didn't mean to to it and it was a "complete accident", he can just walk away, scott free? How old was this shit, anyway? I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's pretty young, because it sounds like he doesn't have a clue as to how the world works.

His answer to you shows what kind of an a-hole he is. Any stand-up person would've apoligized profusely and offered to pay to have the damage to your car repaired.

Do you have any contact information for this guy?

japboy06
04-27-2004, 01:46 PM
i say all the zilvia people just jump him...ill help out haha

nokeone
04-27-2004, 01:53 PM
don't drop that shit Pete...it's BS...if you have any details on him or need more info PM me...maybe i even know him through the circles...

addicted2sp33d
04-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Hey Noah, long time no see.

Thanks everyone for your support, but I've decided it's not worth my time to chase this kid down. I do have his phone number and license plate...

But at least everyone knows to avoid parking next to certain people now. :)

nokeone
04-28-2004, 12:15 AM
yeah it's been awhile man...glad to see you are still at it..:)...so i'm going to be moving back to the LA area...Redondo Beach to be exact...i should be at quite a bit more So Cal events now...i'll get in touch when i'm back in the area..June 1st most likely...we'll have to hook up..

and if it was me i'd call his ass out..who is he?...lol..nothin like a little public humiliation to make a person feel like shit...:D

Ghettokracker71
04-28-2004, 01:57 PM
His tent. His responsibility. His slacking on said responsibility caused damage to your car. Regardless if it is a drift car or not,or if he feels that drift cars can't be kept immaculate,your car is. Therefore because his tent in wich he did not proper take care of caused damage to your otherwise comestically perfect car,he should have the responsiblity of fixing it.

Basically its like this: He fucked up something of yours,he should fix it.Period.

IMHO I would talk to him before I take him directly to court,he might respond better;And if he doesn't,then tell him its time to goto court.

I hate fuckers like that:mrmeph: