View Full Version : S13 tranny fluid

i cant drift worth shit
05-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Let me start by saying i'm sorry, cause i know you guys hate these "n00b questions" but i can't find an answer to this anywhere. Valvoline gear oil is both gl-4 and gl-5 compliant. Will I be ok running this stuff? I don't see why they would label it gl-4 compliant if it's not... but everything i read says gl-4 only. I can't find the gl-4 shit anywhere.

Ilya
05-17-2013, 08:38 PM
I would drive around until i found gl-4 stuff. If worst comes to worst, order some amsoil online, its spendy but works great and worth the wait. Im not sure how to word this but you will have to go to a more "prestigious" auto parts store than NAPA/Autozone to find good gear oil, at least that has been my experience. Go to the store that everyone always says "Holly shit that place is expensive to buy parts from"

i cant drift worth shit
05-17-2013, 09:07 PM
I would drive around until i found gl-4 stuff. If worst comes to worst, order some amsoil online, its spendy but works great and worth the wait. Im not sure how to word this but you will have to go to a more "prestigious" auto parts store than NAPA/Autozone to find good gear oil, at least that has been my experience. Go to the store that everyone always says "Holly shit that place is expensive to buy parts from"

Alright thanks, I'm gonna return this stuff. Maybe i can find it at a dealership. I know Audi's also use it.

ShadowMan
05-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Ummm, you don't need to go to a more "prestigious" auto parts store, if there even is one. The valvoline gl-4, gl-5 gear oil is fine. Not sure what you plan on doing with the car, but I've taken mine to the track for 2 full weekends and daily it here and there with no problems using Valvoline gear oil.

i cant drift worth shit
05-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Ummm, you don't need to go to a more "prestigious" auto parts store, if there even is one. The valvoline gl-4, gl-5 gear oil is fine. Not sure what you plan on doing with the car, but I've taken mine to the track for 2 full weekends and daily it here and there with no problems using Valvoline gear oil.

How long have you been running it?
From what i've read they use a "non-active additive" vs the active additives of other brands? Which is what makes it gl-4 safe i guess... I'd hate to run it and tear up the trans but i'd also like to avoid paying more+shipping costs for something i don't need.

wangan_cruiser
05-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Just buy mt90 redline. U will love it

240sxScores
05-17-2013, 09:48 PM
^^^ I've been using mt90 for years. Multiple track days, no trans problems. Prior to that I ran pennzoil synchromesh.

i cant drift worth shit
05-17-2013, 09:50 PM
I heard good things about redline. How much do pay for it? Found it for $42.95 for 3 quarts so like $14.20 per quart. Shit's expensive. I'm still gonna check the price of the audi fluid tomorrow before i order the redline stuff though. It's the same specs, but i could go pick it up instead of waiting for shipping. Would be nice to know there's something readily accessible instead of always having to order the oil.

chetos13
05-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Redline oil, if u care about how much it is then buy whatever they have at the auto parts store

Ljay
05-18-2013, 12:33 AM
try the oem gear oil from the dealership.imo the best stuff for gear oil or anything car maintenance related would be what it had in it from factory. may be a bit pricey though.

NoPistons!
05-18-2013, 01:19 AM
Bookmarked this because i gotta fill mine up soon and dont want to put crap in it that's going to make it die a quick, painful death. Moreso painful for me than the transmission..... Gotta reckon with about 400wtq and this nut behind the wheel doing very abusive dirty things to it....

ShadowDrifter
05-18-2013, 01:29 AM
Penzoil syncro mesh is your best friend yes you have to change it a bit more often but its cheaper and WELL WORTH IT if. I stand by the so much that I will even say this if you don't like it I will personally buy whatever kind you want.

ShadowDrifter
05-18-2013, 01:31 AM
also mt90 takes a while to heat up and if you try to shift fast within 20min of driving you will grind gears

NoPistons!
05-18-2013, 02:15 AM
also mt90 takes a while to heat up and if you try to shift fast within 20min of driving you will grind gears

I'll take that advice for you probably being the oldest person posting in this thread. Any specific weight/viscosity to go with?

ShadowDrifter
05-18-2013, 02:49 AM
Just run Pennzoil synchro mesh change it every 12000 miles you will have nice smooth shifts in hot or cold

NoPistons!
05-18-2013, 03:01 AM
Zilvia needs a "like" button.

i cant drift worth shit
05-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Just run Pennzoil synchro mesh change it every 12000 miles you will have nice smooth shifts in hot or cold

Changing the gearbox oil every 12k is pretty inconvenient since this is my daily. I don't see why the valvoline wouldn't work though. They say it wont eat yellow metal and that its gl-4 safe. All I want to know is if you guys think its ok to run this stuff. Mt90 is gonna grind when cold, synchromesh needs to be changed pretty often, to me those aren't very good options for a car that's used as a daily driver every day.

kota2240
05-18-2013, 03:24 PM
amsoil 75w 90 and priced well.

AMSOIL 75W-90 Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube (http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/75w-90-long-life-synthetic-gear-lube/?page=%2fstorefront%2ffgr.aspx)

ShadowDrifter
05-18-2013, 03:31 PM
AMSOIL is GL5 DO NOT USE i repeat DO NOT USE older nissan trannys use gl4 becasue of the brass syncros if you use any GL5 kiss your syncros GOODBYE

i cant drift worth shit
05-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Kota2240 y u do dis.
I'm ordering redline mtl 70w-80. It's gl4 and supposed to deliver good all-around performance, which will be perfect for a daily. $53 shipped from ecs. I always bought from them when i had my Audi and they are great. They don't have nissan stuff but they have stuff like oil and are great to deal with.

kota2240
05-19-2013, 06:57 AM
I am very sorry. I posted the wrong link. This is the stuff i purchased. It is amazing and much better than redline from some reviews i have read and its better priced. Cant find it at a local advance auto. Need to find a supplier or buy it from the internet

AMSOIL is GL4

AMSOIL Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 (http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/manual/manual-transmission-and-transaxle-gear-lube-75w-90/?page=%2fstorefront%2fmtg.aspx)

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/369630-mt-trans-fluid-i-know-need-gl4-ams-oil-rep-told-me-ams-oil-gl5-would-work.html

fliprayzin240sx
05-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Problem with most GL-5 oil is that it has an additive that slowly corrodes the brass synchros on Nissan trannies when the oil gets hot. Thats the reason why you want a GL-4 specific. If its just for DD where you wont be pushing the car and heating up the the oil, then GL-5 is an okay option.

jr_ss
05-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Amsoil Gl-4 stuff is what you want, best gear oil on the market right now.

S12 Drifter
05-19-2013, 02:20 PM
you can find syncromesh in autozone.

i run redline mt90 2 quarts and 1/4 qrt of synrco mesh never misses a beat.

USE ONLY gl-4 and LEARN TO READ the gear oil label if your asking on a forum about what kind of gear oil to use and cannot do a simple search on google or open up the FSM to look at specs you probably are not competent enough to change the oil.

i cant drift worth shit
05-19-2013, 03:08 PM
you can find syncromesh in autozone.

i run redline mt90 2 quarts and 1/4 qrt of synrco mesh never misses a beat.

USE ONLY gl-4 and LEARN TO READ the gear oil label if your asking on a forum about what kind of gear oil to use and cannot do a simple search on google or open up the FSM to look at specs you probably are not competent enough to change the oil.

Did you not fucking read the question before you gave a smart ass response? It said gl4/gl5. Do you think if it said only gl5 I would have ever bought it in the first place?
Everyone else, thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

i cant drift worth shit
05-20-2013, 06:04 AM
Order some redline 70w-80 should be here this week. I'll update on how it performs since it seems like 70w-80 is a better option for street driving than mt90.

i cant drift worth shit
05-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Got the fluid in today. Shifts much better than the old worn out stuff. There was some metal particles in the fluid, but with 94k on the original fluid it's expected. I used the 70w80 to help with cold shifts and i definitely made the right choice. From the time i left my house i could alread feel the difference. Way smoother into second. And i can downshift into first without coming to a stop now! :rawk: