PDA

View Full Version : amp too powerful for subs?

E r y k
04-24-2004, 07:59 PM
hello

i plan on getting the jl 1000.1 amp and i was wondering if i could turn up the resistance to put out less wattage to my subs because i dont think they can handle that much juice?

Hawd
04-24-2004, 08:03 PM
Just keep the gains down, duh....

knightrider
04-25-2004, 10:17 AM
first things first, you can never have too much power, its called headroom, and its great for quality sound, but, you have to know what your doing, and since you asked this question, i will assume you really dont know much. what you can do, hook up everything, and turn the gain all the way down on the amp. then turn up the music to a reasonably high level, just a bit higher than you normally turn it up to, then turn up the gain on the amp, jus turn it up until you start hearing distortion or you are happy with the level of low frequenies, then turn it down to just before the distortion, then turn down the head unit to normal levels, and see if youve got enough low end, now if your trying to rattle ppls teeth a mile away, you prolly wanna turn it up, but if your just looking for low end renforcement, then you should be good to go. btw, i work for a professional sound company, not a car audio place, so i care more about quality of sound, rather than how much my trunk can rattle and sound like ass.

s15dude
04-25-2004, 10:25 AM
I am pretty sure that the JL class D amps have a built in computer to keep the watts the same no matter what the ohms are.