PDA

View Full Version : possible bad exhaust e-vac location?

quickdiversion
05-15-2013, 06:54 AM
I have an sr20det, heavily modified, Running an HX35 with an external wastegate. I swapped over to an exhaust e-vac to ensure vacuum in my crank case at full boost.

The turbo manifold I am using pushes the turbo forward and away from the brake booster and puts it between cylinders 1 and 2. This leaves me a lot of exhaust pipping to play with. When i instructed the guy who made my downpipe to weld in the bung he welded the bung on the 45* elbow. The bung is cut on a 45* angle.

I am noticing that my steel braided line has failed twice now due to heat and at idle it smokes a bit from under the hood cause the rubber hose inside the steel braiding failed. I am in the process of switching over to a ss hardline.

I noticed the other day when i was seeing how hard it would pull. I hit 118 mph at 18 psi. and smoke started pouring into the cabin of the car. I am wondering because the 45* degree bung is weld on a 45* angle of pipe, that maybe the e-vac is not working properly, and allowing smoke to force its way incorrectly through the bottom and up and into the head area, instead of being pulled from the head.

any thoughts?
I'll try to add a picture.

EnemyS15
05-15-2013, 08:43 AM
The angle on the bung looks ok from the top view of the pic. Have you considered looking into the threading of the actual e-vac. When you go to thread it in, you should mark where it is @ a 45* angle with the flow of the exhaust (bevel facing up). You could be having problems if the bevel is facing down. I would check that first.

gretz
05-15-2013, 09:26 AM
My money on the smoke in the cabin is that line failed and what was venting into your exhaust is now venting under your hood / into your cabin.

I am doing a similar setup to this, lok forward to seeing what you learn

Mikester
05-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Hey whazzup Bryan- long time no see!

To me, the angle of the bung does not look steep enough to pull oil vapors down & out... Looks more like the exhaust would push back up thru the line. I would think you'd want the bung to merge as close to the actual direction of exhaust flow as possible. I'd take that shit back to that dude & tell him to fix that shit!

BTW (off topic)- Thought you switched to a V8. Text me some pics bro!

quickdiversion
05-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Damn bro. I have tried emailing and calling you a few times but your always busy. But yeah dude I am doing well! I am having JK in PA tune my car and with my mods he is estimating 500 BHP easy. I'm hoping for 520, 530ish. This thing pulls nasty.

The V8 is the track slut, I'll get ya some pix of that stat. We finally got it running.

quickdiversion
05-15-2013, 10:07 AM
The angle on the bung looks ok from the top view of the pic. Have you considered looking into the threading of the actual e-vac. When you go to thread it in, you should mark where it is @ a 45* angle with the flow of the exhaust (bevel facing up). You could be having problems if the bevel is facing down. I would check that first.

This is what I am going to be checking later on today. I thought it lined up well because I tested it before the bung was welded and it faced properly, so it might be cocked now that its in. Might need to be shimmed.

quickdiversion
05-15-2013, 10:09 AM
My money on the smoke in the cabin is that line failed and what was venting into your exhaust is now venting under your hood / into your cabin.

I am doing a similar setup to this, lok forward to seeing what you learn

I am thinking that the angle is to straight being that the 45* bung is welded on a 45* bend. making it 90* and putting the straight opening facing into the exhaust flow. I only got smoke in the cabin once because I think that is why. At idle and traffic it smokes possibly for the same reason, but definatly cause the line failed.

fliprayzin240sx
05-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Did you make sure the check valve for the E-vac is working properly?

quickdiversion
05-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Did you make sure the check valve for the E-vac is working properly?

The e-vac I have for this is from vibrant. There is no value. It is cut on a 45* angle with notch cut into the side that would allow exhaust flow into it and then out the bottom, creating a vacuum at the top where the line comes in from the valve cover.