PDA

View Full Version : Is there a FAQ somewhere about S15 SR20 swaps into S14s?

Matt300ZXT
05-14-2013, 10:00 AM
I tried Googling last night and checking some 240 sites but most stuff I found was about putting S15 motors into S13s. I had a guy offer me a 6sp S15 swap into a 97 for my 300ZXTT and it looks very clean and he has a laundry list of high dollar parts in it, but was curious if there was a FAQ somewhere about what to look for specifically when an S15 motor is used.

From what I read, I was really only able to figure out that the speedo is a big problem unles you use the S15 differential or something so I asked him if that was swapped or if a speed converter was used. He said the converter was used and all the gauges work properly. I just want to know what to look at specifically when I go down there to make sure the swap was done right instead of a part or two being hack jobbed in there. I'm concerned about CELs due to it having a test pipe on it since I have emissions and it's OBD-II. Just not sure how easy it is to swap in motors in OBD-II cars and still pass emissions once a computer is hooked to the car to scan for codes, regardless of whether any CELs are popping up or if the light on the dash is removed.

quickdiversion
05-15-2013, 07:40 AM
I would say the first thing to do is look under where the car is sitting. Make sure there are no puddles under it. Also try to look at the bottom of the motor, and look for oil. If you are worried about inspections, the easiest thing to fail for before you get to emissions are oil leaks; unless your state is emissions only. Next thing I would look for is under the hood, he might have mentioned high dollar parts but if things look slapped together of cheap you might want to inspect further. Have him take you for a test drive or ask to test drive it. At least go out in the car and listen to it, listen for grinding.

The biggest problem I know about the S15 is not the motor, is rather similair to the S14. The trans however has 6 gears cramped into the same space as 5 gears, S13 and S14. So the gears are thinner and tend to wear out faster. When it comes to the OBD-II, I would rent a hand scanner from autozone or pepboys before going out there to read the codes for yourself. See what the problems are and if they will effect you in your state. I know autozone also sells an OBD-II reader for like 55 bucks, that's a great investment for looking at any car or troublshooting later.

Matt300ZXT
05-15-2013, 09:50 AM
I appreciate the input, but there's no way it'll pass my emissions here. I woulda never thought they were hella illegal emissions wise. It won't communicate with the OBD-II port, therefore the car would fail immediately and there's no way I could tag it. So I'm going to have to pass on that car.

quickdiversion
05-15-2013, 10:03 AM
The SR20DET is not hella illegal emissions vise on any of the platforms it came. I have an S13 Blacktop V3 with all egr removed and no emissions except for the stock 240 cat put on it. I passed NJ emissions just fine. They didn't even believe me. The motor is not a high pollution motor. Just make sure its not running rich and its nice and clean.

fullthrottle
05-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Most states dont actually test emissions they just plug into the obd2 port which he is not going to have.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

quickdiversion
05-15-2013, 10:25 AM
He did state above that the car had it.

Scratch that. I forgot about an important factor.... JDM have no OBD-II haha.

Engine swaps are not illegal, you can try telling them that the motor is not original and the OBD does not work, they will need a tail sniffer. That's what they have to do with pre ODB cars as well.

Or find a shady garage and ask to buy a sticker. Like a lot of people do.