PDA

View Full Version : New scam. Look out.

Jeff240sx
04-22-2004, 08:03 PM
I just recieved this email. Here it is, copy-pasted and unedited.

Sent : Thursday, April 22, 2004 2:41 PM
To : [email protected]
Subject : -Citicards- _EMAIL Verificationn - [email protected]

| | | Inbox

To _verify _your_ EMAIL_ adderss click on_the_link :

http://go.msn.com/HML/1/7.asp?target=H%54%54P%3A%2F%2Fftkasf9sg.%64%41%2e% 72%75/%3F9o9bqyuORASUaIUDjEWDFGerx9c3wj

and submit on_the litt|e _window_ _your_ Citi-group D_e_b_i_t full Card Nummber
and PIN*
that you use_ on_the Atm Machine.

Trsy07qxKc v8k4dn11a j008x0142 90ia eg9 7cu92g3x0s4vqr JdV9vap

Just a headsup for the slower people.
-Jeff

Ghst 01
04-22-2004, 08:05 PM
LOL you have to be really stupid to fall for that one...........

drift freaq
04-22-2004, 08:09 PM
ya I got an email about a week telling me that citibank was updating there webstuff and please go log in. they had a link that looked just like citibanks online web account page link but I know it was a phony,but the funny thing was citibank would never email me about there web updates. they just do them and they would not ask me to log in so they could update. I smelled a scam and ignored it.

hookedup240
04-22-2004, 08:11 PM
i can't believe people would even open these e-mails though, if i dont' know the sender i don't even open it. And for someone to give there account number that is so stupid.

drift freaq
04-22-2004, 08:20 PM
well see the emails say they are from citibankonline, until you open the email and read it it looks deceptively real. The only time you start smelling a scam is when you read the email and see what they are asking you to do. As far as the incoming email goes though it looks like your recieving a email from citibank and if your a citibank account holder then you have reason to open it and investigate. It was a hell of a lot more sophisticated email than what jeff got above it read so and so @citibank-de.com which is a valid citibank online addy.
I agree its stupid to give your account number, the email I got did not want your account number it wanted you to log in to your online account i.e. password and screenname . Citibank happens to have one of the most secure online systems on the web in fact they are rated #1 for online security. Thats why these people are trying to get the info from the end users. Now I would never give anyone any of my online info if they emailed me and asked for it, that is what made me suspicous but these guys had done a hell of a job making the link look real. It's downright scary how well people can spoof real web pages these days.

mk20116
04-22-2004, 11:04 PM
any email from companies is usually advertising, if they need to update your account they'd make your put it in writing...

had some lady call my friend saying she was some creditcard company. she also said she needed his ssn and his billing address...stupid....she left a telephone number, so we gave her contact number to the police...wonder what happened to her

zenkiDori
04-22-2004, 11:09 PM
prolly nothing. those people tend to use prepaid cell fones or payfones that accept incoming calls.

ciGARRETTsRbad4u
04-23-2004, 12:15 AM
ahh CRAP!!!! THIS WAS A SCAM???!??!?!