PDA

View Full Version : NY FS: 1991 Nissan 240sx with S15 SR20DET 6 Speed Hatch

dwadia
05-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Here’s the situation with my car: I moved from NJ to CA about 18 months ago… couldn’t get the car sold in time, intended to have it shipped here but since it was staying with someone I know, and I was busy with many other things, it just wound up being left there until now. During that time some minor work was done to prepare to bring it here (and keep it), but, I really don’t need another car here. I’m going back to NJ/NY for a few weeks starting May 15 and I’d like to sell it during that time. If it really doesn’t work out or if I can’t get an offer that I feel is reasonable, I’ll just bring it back with me this time (really) and either sell it here or let it be a toy I take out once a month. Back in NJ it was my daily driver… I already have a dd here and it’s a wrx, so it satisfies my itch for fun when I want it to.

The ad below is what I wrote up before I moved with minor updates… here is what is different at the moment. If anything conflicts, go with what’s in this paragraph. It now has a full-sized Optima battery installed on the right side floor of the rear passenger area (I wanted to get rid of my Miata-sized battery under the hood so it will still start if it winds up sitting for a month or 2). It still comes with the Tanabe GF210 springs, but the stock ones have been put back on for now because if I bring it here, I need the ground clearance to get up my road. I suppose it should have an alignment done if you’re going to leave the stock springs on at this point, although the fellow who has it for now said it drives just fine for now. It has a new starter (old one went bad while I was away). New rear brake discs and pads. It also now has a ROM chip for CA’s 91 octane gas, although the other 93-octane chip comes with it. All the spares and other parts not on the car when I left came with me to CA. You can have any or all of them, but you cover shipping costs.
FWIW, as much as I like my WRX (an ’06), the drivetrain and especially the 6-speed tranny is butter-smooth compared to the Subaru. It’s a nice car and great dd that always served me well and reliably, and could easily be set up for drifting or whatever you may want.

This has been a Florida car for most of its life. It has NO rust issues, and to my knowledge, never had any. The undercarriage has a coating to protect it, it has always been covered or garaged and never driven in snow or even on salted roads. Before it was coated (3 years ago, when I bought the car) the underbody was immaculate. To my knowledge it has not been in any accidents and I don’t know of any body damage or repairs other than a few tiny issues listed below. It has a clean NJ title. Chassis mileage is somewhere around 222,700 (it’s still driven so I can’t be exact), but there is no indication of that whatsoever, aside from the odometer. Engine, tranny and differential mileage are “who really knows”… but low enough that the original flywheel did not show wear. Compression was also tested and good before installation in my car (I don’t still have the exact numbers).

I purchased it and had it shipped to NJ in summer of 2008. At the time it had a KA and the entire car was in exceptionally clean and good condition. I immediately had a S15 SR20DET swapped in, along with the S15 6-speed tranny and Helical LSD, and the other stuff needed to make it “work right.” All this work was professionally done at Import Intelligence. It worked great and had no issues since day one – I have driven this car everywhere, and it has never left me stuck with the exception of a starter failure (which has been repaired). There are no “quirks” or compromises in daily drivability – p/s works, a/c works, the speedo is completely accurate… everything works. If you’ve never driven the 6 speed, it feels a LOT more refined and smoother than the 5 speed SR’s. The gear ratios are much better, especially on the highway, and it’s overall much smoother.

The car has been very well maintained and tastefully modified. I have almost all the parts and labor receipts as well as loads of other technical info. Weatherstrips on the hatch, sunroof and taillights have been replaced, bushings have been replaced mostly with polyurethane ones, along with a few pillow-balls. Starter and steering rack were both recently replaced. One window motor was also just replaced. There is very little that is more than a few years old on this car. It has a near-stock appearance but feels nothing like stock. The clutch was replaced at the time of the swap. Since I do very little driving in it… that was about 3,000 miles ago. I don’t believe the engine and transmission were ever abused even in their “previous life,” because when the clutch was changed they were very surprised to find that the flywheel was nearly perfect and needed no resurfacing (and the original clutch itself had plenty of life left on it). I’ve never used the car for drifting, track days, burn-outs, etc… just street driving. Compression has just been tested on Sept. 6 with excellent results (from cyl. 1-4): 150-152-158-151

I generally ran it at around 12~14 psi… once in a rare while I did 17~18 psi which is totally safe with this set-up.

I’ve uploaded loads of photos (about 50) here www.photobucket.com/6SpdHatch (http://www.photobucket.com/6SpdHatch) AND BE SURE TO LOOK AT THE SUB-ALBUMS on the right for interior and undercarriage pics. *a quick note on the pics: undercarriage pics are from last summer – most is still the same but some rear suspension arms and I believe the tie rods have since been replaced. Most of the other pics were taken this August.

Now for the mods and details...

Engine, Drivetrain, Power & Electronics
FULL manifold-back exhaust: includes high-flow cat, 3 straight-thru resonators (including the rear muffler) and a Car Chemistry insert (removable) – it makes great power and is only slightly louder than stock with NO drone. It draws minimal attention, both in appearance and sound. Most piping is 3”.
Custom 1-piece aluminum driveshaft
ACT clutch
Nismo polyurethane motor and tranny mounts
Blitz FMIC
300zx MAF, with the s15 MAF plug still attached so it can be reverted back
Enthalpy ECU tune based on a data log – so, it’s probably as good as a dyno tune.
Blitz SBC-Id dual solenoid boost controller (display and controls on dash)
Recirculated blow-off valve (not stock)
Innovate wideband sensor and AuxBox (can display and log AFR, boost, RPM, EGT and some other parameters in real-time, and can connect to your laptop while driving).
Moroso oil pan – I believe it’s about 5 quarts
Oversized aluminum radiator
255lph fuel pump
T-bolt clamps on all pressurized intake couplers

Suspension and Chassis
RX7 (FD3) wheels with Falken FK452 tires (5-lug)
Q45 front brakes
Stainless Steel brake lines, ATE fluid
KYB AGX with Tanabe GF210 springs
Whiteline adjustable swaybars with poly bushings, front and rear
Project Mu height-adjustable camber plates
Adjustable RUCA’s and rear traction rods with poly bushings (not too stiff at all)
Adjustable rear toe arms with pillow-ball rod ends
Adjustable tension rods with pillow-ball rod ends (they are steel… I forgot the brand, but not eBay stuff)
New (stock) tie rods and ends
Aluminum under-panel
Strut tower braces front and rear (mounts are in place but braces are currently off – more comfy ride :)
**Uninstalled Veilside E-II rear wing – I think this is one of the best-looking wings for this car. It complements the styling perfectly and almost looks like it could be OEM. I had it shipped from Japan but never got around to having it painted and installed. It includes 2 pieces. **I will include this if I get at or near the asking price, but you’ll still have to cover shipping from CA.

Interior
Sentra Spec-V seats with custom mounts to make them fit
Boost controller display unit on dash
Innovate AFR digital display on dash
SPA dual digital gauge for oil temperature and pressure
New 4x6 (oversized) Pioneer speakers, front and rear

Miscellaneous
S14 240sx spare tire
Spare RX7 wheel – in case you damage one (currently in CA)
PIAA Super Silicone wiper blades, front and rear
Various spare and stock parts, including stock springs… also, if you don’t see something in the photos which should be there, such as an interior panel, strut tower brace, etc., you can assume that I have it uninstalled and it’s in great condition.
All oils are and have always been either Redline or Mobil 1
Avital alarm with remote start and turbo timer
Wideband 02 display can also be used as a turbo timer if you choose (I use the one on the remote start system).

That’s pretty much all I can think of for the mods, although I might have missed a few minor details.

Issues that could or should be addressed

Paint clearcoat is water-damaged in some spots. See the close-up pics at the link. This shows the full extent of the issue. I left it under a cover and went away for 2 months. Somehow, some water seeped under the cover and messed up the clearcoat. After that happened it’s always been garaged. The base layer of paint is still fully covering the body and so there is not any rust issue whatsoever.

Also, the hood has a couple minor dings – I mean really tiny – from where a work light dropped on it. I'm talking about the size of a dime and maybe 1/8 of an inch deep.

Driver’s side seat belt is slightly frayed in one spot. It was that way when I got it and has not gotten any worse at all in 3 years. In my opinion the strength is nearly fully intact and nothing to be worried about. I'm not just saying this to make a sale – it was my daily driver for 3 years and i trusted my life to it.

Terms of sale and price
It should go without saying, but the car and all parts installed on or included with it are being sold as-is. I can’t guarantee the car or any part of it in any way. I’ve been as thorough and honest as possible. Most of the work was done professionally (and whatever I did myself were only things which I was confident in my ability to do, and have proven reliable when used). That said, it’s a used car with a significant amount of modifications.
I’M WILLING TO SHIP THE CAR, but you have to take care of the arrangements. I will be as cooperative and flexible as possible with meeting the driver. Of course, I’ll need to receive the full payment before any shipping arrangements are made.

Please also keep in mind that I’m not making a trip back to NJ/NY for the sake of selling my car – I only have a short time there and I’ll be busy with other things. So please, only make arrangements to see it if you're serious about it as my time on the east coast is very limited. Again, I will be available to show the car starting May 15.

$7700 obo.

Thanks for looking through my listing.

dwadia
05-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Thought i should post a few pics on this thread rather than just the photobucket links... although there are a lot more on there. Here are links to the rest:

Exterior/body (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/wadiad/library/1991%20240sx?sort=3&page=1)
engine bay & undercarriage (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/wadiad/library/1991%20240sx/engine%20bay%20and%20undercarriage?sort=3&page=1)
interior (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/wadiad/library/1991%20240sx/interior?sort=3&page=1)

Car is available starting next week.

dylanbily
05-10-2013, 07:06 AM
Nice, considering selling my wrx for this

dwadia
05-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks... what year is your wrx? I have an '06 here in cali... while i honestly can't say i'd sell it for this, if i had both in my garage i'd definitely take the 240 out at least half the time. I've missed this car at times. Not really eager to deal with the CA emissions stuff either though... i'm trying to keep life simple lol.

dylanbily
05-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks... what year is your wrx? I have an '06 here in cali... while i honestly can't say i'd sell it for this, if i had both in my garage i'd definitely take the 240 out at least half the time. I've missed this car at times. Not really eager to deal with the CA emissions stuff either though... i'm trying to keep life simple lol.

I have an 02 wrx, l love it but I've always wanted a 240. One of my friends has one and that thing is so fun.

dwadia
05-10-2013, 03:34 PM
I have an 02 wrx, l love it but I've always wanted a 240. One of my friends has one and that thing is so fun.

cool... one thing i like about my '06 is the low-end torque but i think the '02 has a smaller engine with much less torque anyway, so you wouldn't be losing anything in that sense. Also sometimes i NEED the awd over here, but when i don't, i wish i had rwd. You're right... it's a fun package :) the other surprise for me was that the s15 sr tranny shifts butter-smooth compared to even my 06 wrx. I do miss that. If ever you get ANY sr-powered car, provided you're not looking to set up a pure drift machine or otherwise test the abuse-tolerance limits of the tranny, i'd strongly recommend the s15 (i'v had s13 and s14 sr's before). The s15 trannies are really great IMO. Between the 6 gears and the smoothness... if it's a daily driver, get the s15 and don't look back. Anyway good luck to ya whatever you do with your cars... enjoy n stay safe!

dylanbily
05-10-2013, 08:16 PM
cool... one thing i like about my '06 is the low-end torque but i think the '02 has a smaller engine with much less torque anyway, so you wouldn't be losing anything in that sense. Also sometimes i NEED the awd over here, but when i don't, i wish i had rwd. You're right... it's a fun package :) the other surprise for me was that the s15 sr tranny shifts butter-smooth compared to even my 06 wrx. I do miss that. If ever you get ANY sr-powered car, provided you're not looking to set up a pure drift machine or otherwise test the abuse-tolerance limits of the tranny, i'd strongly recommend the s15 (i'v had s13 and s14 sr's before). The s15 trannies are really great IMO. Between the 6 gears and the smoothness... if it's a daily driver, get the s15 and don't look back. Anyway good luck to ya whatever you do with your cars... enjoy n stay safe!

Yeah I used to live in northeast pa, and we got lots of snow so awd came in handy, but I just moved to south jersey so I don't think I'll need it as much. I love my wrx, but I love s13s :) I've always wanted one

dylanbily
05-10-2013, 08:17 PM
You got the best of both worlds with the 240 and wrx XD

dwadia
05-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Car is now available to show, and since i didn't have a specific location before, i'm in Roslyn, NY (around the border of Long Island and Queens).

Tagg8
05-22-2013, 05:17 PM
will you be around this weekend?

dwadia
05-22-2013, 05:42 PM
I will be... may be my last weekend here. I'm wrapping up what i have to do here and will be going back home pretty soon.

dwadia
05-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Bump... still up for sale for a few more days in NY. If it's not sold by about the end of the week i'll probably drive it out to cali.

MSIcrazy
05-27-2013, 04:56 PM
hey i sent you a pm. hope to hear from you

dwadia
05-27-2013, 09:17 PM
hey MSI, i just pm'd you back... thanks for the interest.

guys, please spare me the ridiculous offers - you all know who you are. seriously... if you're gonna offer less than $6k don't even bother. i'm not saying i would consider going that low, but if you offer less than that i'm not even gonna reply, your message will simply be deleted. how can you make "serious offers" in the $4000's? it's perfectly ok if you think it's worth 40% less than my asking price, but then that just means it's not the car for you.

dwadia
05-29-2013, 08:30 PM
$6200 if you buy it in the next 2 days and spare me from driving it across the country.

RalliartRsX
06-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Did you end up driving this back or is it sold??

dwadia
06-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Drove it back... nice drive, especially from Colorado onwards.