PDA

View Full Version : 96 Z vs. the world

Stupidflanderz
04-09-2013, 11:44 AM
So I found the worlds most perfect Z32. its got some 150ish-k, its not TT but its 5spd in a non salt belt area. But, to the meat and potatoes...
90-96 is the run, But this is a 96. Is there anything I wouldnt be able to do mechanically? I don't wanna grab it and find out I cant do such and such because of OBD-II.
So far, thru searching, I've found:
N/A 94 and up: ECU turned 16bit. Seatbelt moved to pillar. New injectors. Spoiler changed. HICAS now electric.
N/A 96 and JDM-up: VVT removed. Bumper changed to body color.
Am I missing anything? Is there anything the OBD prevents? I'm assuming everything, besides chipping and tuning, is the same
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Found a site that claims a 96 has different cams as well.

Stupidflanderz
04-10-2013, 05:00 AM
Just to clarify, I'm more concerned with I/H/E throwing a code OR specific non-interchangeable parts. I'm no car nut, and wont be swapping out pistons and such. MAYBE a TT engine down the line but again, does owning a 96 mean no new cat-back without a code or something?
just trying to wrap my head around it

Edit: I think I found the answer. Just a guess, but EVERYTHING is the same minus heavy mods, which I'll never do anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, Super n00b away.....

nextproject
05-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Just use o2 "simulators" or for the downstream o2's and you'll be fine. Standard fare on all OBDII cars to fool the downstream sensors that the converters are still in place.

Stupidflanderz
05-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Makes sense man. Thx