PDA

View Full Version : 92 S13 electrical issue

dann2ostang
04-07-2013, 11:07 AM
I have a basically stock kade, it started with the stereo power cutting out while I was driving. Then one day I lost all lights, I mean ALL lights other than high beam headlights, blower motor, wipers, windows, headlight retractors. The car still runs and drives fine. I recently did coilovers so the first thing I did was pull fenders off, check all that wiring and then tuck it out of the way. Replaced the acc relays, checked grounds, replaced ignition switch, not sure what else to check. THe weird thing is if the car is not running and key is on none of this stuff works at all, but if the car is running it will all work intermittently. Any help would really be appreciated, I'm pretty stumped right now.

dann2ostang
04-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Also forgot to add that nothing works on the cluster, no tach or anything. Also it did start doing this before the coilovers went in, either way I went through all that wiring harness on both sides then relocated it so theres no tire contact. Anyone have suggestions?

dann2ostang
04-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Checked battery voltage, 12 when off and 11.5 running. Never had a problem starting so i didn't think before about the charging system. So maybe an alt problem. Nobody has any input?

Migit240sx
04-10-2013, 01:44 AM
My 92 s13 has started with the stereo....

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2

S13CoupeLover
04-10-2013, 02:22 AM
Could be your alternator or loose belt? Uh... I had alternator issues and it would do this. Could maybe be your battery cables not on tight enough. 11.5 while running is low... I believe you should be seeing something like ~13-14. It's a pain but you could always just take out the alt and go to autozone or Canadas equivalent of autozone and have them test it for free or maybe not, maybe canada is different, i dunno.

yetijeff
04-10-2013, 03:18 AM
It's ur alternator fuse. While the car runs it actually arcs between the two poles on the fuse. Over time it burns more and more hence y less shits working. Did it start to do this after u jump started it a few times? I betcha more shit works when higher rpms. Mine had the same problem hence why I got it for 1k :D

aaron_drifter
04-15-2013, 05:11 PM
sorry to thread jack

having a similar problem in my s13 nothing on the interior works until the car is running and reved once or twice to approx. 2 thousand rpm, I have checked all fuses the harness under the fender. I have 14.3 volts at the alternator lug but it is not making it to the battery. the white wire coming off the alternator runs to the passenger side fender and goes inside the car to disappear into who knows where. I am at a total loss any help would be awesome.

240boi115
04-15-2013, 05:25 PM
It's ur alternator fuse. While the car runs it actually arcs between the two poles on the fuse. Over time it burns more and more hence y less shits working. Did it start to do this after u jump started it a few times? I betcha more shit works when higher rpms. Mine had the same problem hence why I got it for 1k :D

agree that or some wire is loose... on my old hatch my alternator had voltage but didnt send it anywhere.. messed up harness was the issue.

240boi115
04-15-2013, 05:27 PM
sorry to thread jack

having a similar problem in my s13 nothing on the interior works until the car is running and reved once or twice to approx. 2 thousand rpm, I have checked all fuses the harness under the fender. I have 14.3 volts at the alternator lug but it is not making it to the battery. the white wire coming off the alternator runs to the passenger side fender and goes inside the car to disappear into who knows where. I am at a total loss any help would be awesome.

check where that wire leads to. it could be loose...im looking up some things as we speak about this.. (sorry for the thread jack again:-/)

aaron_drifter
04-15-2013, 05:56 PM
I have checked damn near all of the connections anyone know where the white wire goes inside the car? or what else could cause this issue it seems as though something is preventing the alternator voltage from reaching the battery and the battery voltage is not making it somewhere as well, no interior functions with key off pop ups don't operate, and even with key on nothing works until the car is running and is reved once or twice. the tach moves and everything else starts working. really lost.

240boi115
04-15-2013, 06:12 PM
and all the wires are clean and notcut/messed up? idk where the wire leads...ive been looking for this crap like crazy at work but im just going to look fo rit when i get home on my hatch... the car auto or 5 spd?

aaron_drifter
04-15-2013, 06:14 PM
It's a 5 speed.

yetijeff
04-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Did u physically pull out ur 75a alt fuse and check continuity

aaron_drifter
04-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Oddly enough there is no fuse in that fuse holder and hasn't been since I bought the car two weeks ago. Unless someone jacked it. Lol that could very well be the issue. I think I dug way to far into this. Lol.

aaron_drifter
04-15-2013, 06:55 PM
That was the issue I jumped the fuse holder with a pair of pliers and boom interior lights. Anyone have a 75a alternator fuse? Lol

dann2ostang
04-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Mine turned out to be the alternator fuse able link. Had a tiny crack in the middle you could barely see. Thanks for your input guys.

yetijeff
04-15-2013, 07:59 PM
That was the issue I jumped the fuse holder with a pair of pliers and boom interior lights. Anyone have a 75a alternator fuse? Lol

Junkyard pocket special. Or pay10$ at the dealership lol

aaron_drifter
04-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Heading there tomorrow after work. Going to raid some Altimas and Nissan trucks.

240boi115
04-15-2013, 08:03 PM
hahaha sometimes i go to junkyards just to pocket fuses.. for spares that and random bolts i need