PDA

View Full Version : Planning a trip to NYC suggestions appreciated

jdm538
04-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Hello Everyone! I changed my plans for memorial day weekend. I was supposed to go to Vegas with my friends but I have already gone twice this year and I want a change of scenery. My girlfriend suggested we go to New York, hence this post.

I have no idea where to stay and what to do. I would like some suggestions for hotels, food and specific places to visit.

Thanks in advance!

enkei2k
04-04-2013, 11:48 AM
http://zilvia.net/f/north-eastern-states/511092-places-go-eat-nyc.html

jdm538
04-04-2013, 12:06 PM
thanks for the heads up but I still need suggestions on hotels and locations.

enkei2k
04-04-2013, 02:11 PM
For hotels, it depends on your budget. Hotels in the city are over priced from what I've heard from others. (I've never stayed at any NYC hotel but have looked at some pricing)

However, when someone from NC came to pick up a body kit from me, he stayed at a hotel in New Jersey which was a quick 10 minute drive from the city. I'd suggest that if you're not looking to spend $200-300/night on hotels.

2muchboost
04-04-2013, 02:38 PM
I would suggest hitting up kayak.com and checking out which hotels are available for your price range. Typically a lower end/cheaper NYC room will be about $150 a night.....they can range all the way to several thousands all depends on your budget.

As far as where to stay it will really depend on what your planning to do. There is so much to do in NYC that you could literally spend a few months here and still not see everything. Shopping your in SOHO, Midtown and Time Square your into more of the "touristy" type places, Parks and Museums your in Upper West and East Side.

Places to eat and drink will also depend on budget and your taste in locations. NY is super dynamic so there can be a dive bar rubbing elbows with a high end Penthouse location.

NJ is good but can be a hassle to get to. If you decide to visit NJ but want somewhat of a NYC feel then Hoboken would be your place. You can somewhat imagine picking up a few NYC blocks and dropping them in NJ...thats Hoboken.

Feel free to PM what your thoughts are on the above and I can suggest some location. Remember that NYC is a big subway grid so almost anywhere in the city is accessible via subway and there are cabs EVERYWHERE. So even if you stayed in one place but wanted to travel to other locations its possible with relative ease (time and money will be the factors).

I live in Long Island but have spent much time for leisure and work in NYC....also went to grad school out there. I have to say one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at was the Dream Hotel in Midtown. Though its in a touristy place it was a fun bday weekend and it was easily accessible. Right in the middle of the city and lots to do in the surrounding areas. If you want to go to places that the "locals" go more frequently.....shoot me a PM.

GL

NISR20MO
04-04-2013, 03:02 PM
^^HAHA Enkei2k, that was me! I stayed at the Radisson Hotel Newark/Carteret, it was reasonably priced and clean, had been recently revamped (you could tell it was done on the cheap, lol, but still nice). It was easy to get into the city from any one of quite a few entrance routes. Staff was nice too, I'd recommend it for sure. It was super cheap, like 80 something bucks/night much better than a couple hundred a night, especially if you will have a rental vehicle.

I can say for sure don't count on using GPS near any big building. Also there's only one paid parking lot that I know of that you park your own car, I forget which way I came into the city but it was right in downtown manhattan and literally straight ahead out of the tunnel I came in through.

Food wise, skip the cookie cutter chain shit you see everywhere and find somewhere packed with people and enjoy. There's alot of good restaurants in manhattan on restaurant row. I had been to NYC once before but my girl, my bro, and myself just winged it and drove/walked all over the damn place. Saw a bugatti, some ferraris, maseratis, not to mention a super sick slammed and tucking V10 M5 with straight pipe exhaust and 3 vipers messing around in a tunnel too, coolsauce. We all had a good time, there's so much to do you're bound to find something you're interested in. Just relax and enjoy, don't stress if you get lost in a car just drive away from the big buildings haha, there should be no way you can get lost on foot. It's a busy but relaxed, matter of fact I remember walking down 5th avenue behind a group of like 5 dudes wearing the same shirt passing a blunt around while navigating the crowds lol...

Have fun!

Yo Enkei, gonna PM ya mane!