PDA

View Full Version : RB26 AWD 240sx HOW?

NismoKnights13
03-30-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm picking up an RB26 clip and I was curious about doing an AWD swap... I have a 2tone s13 and It's had an RB26 in it before with RB25 tranny..

My question is what would be needed exactly to make an AWD 240?

Read my question carefully, I'm asking what is needed. I'm not asking for negative comments or if its expensive or not..

I've read up on other forums and all everyone seems to know is how much it's gonna cost and not what is needed.. The only thing I see on the Forums is "I don't know what it is need and I've never tried it but I do know it stupid and it's a lot of money and I'm an idiot that likes to repeat what everyone else already said blah blah blah..."

What I think is needed besides the obvious drive shaft, wiring, and a mounting kit:
Transfer the Spindles
I'll need R32 front Coilovers
FLCA
And that's it. I can't think of what else I would need

What would discourage me from doing this is not the money but having to tare up some chassis or something like that.

4nmscle
03-30-2013, 12:26 PM
I know this is a different engine, but the guy gives plenty of details about front end parts..

http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-only/456201-450sx-awd.html

Google is your friend!

NismoKnights13
03-30-2013, 03:58 PM
I know this is a different engine, but the guy gives plenty of details about front end parts..

http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-only/456201-450sx-awd.html

Google is your friend!

Thanks I'll check it out right now. :bigok:

SLiDe_WaYz
03-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Research majorly. The thread he gave you is a local guy for me. And it isn't cheap by any means he's needing ALOT of custom one off things made for his build to work.

Not custom by him fabbing it up himself but custom as in needing custom machining for special things needed to make it work.

I would imagine you would need to modify a skyline sub frame, use its suspension, figure out a driveshaft, trim the firewall for the transfer case, possibly need a skyline rear end as well. Not sure on that one, wiring of course.

By the time you've done it you would have countless man hours and money spent where you could have just gotten a AWD subie or skyline by that time and have the engine built most likely.

OrangeVirus1
03-30-2013, 05:24 PM
dude it will not be worth it to even attempt to build it awd. way too much custom

how are you going to even figure out the front axles..

4nmscle
03-30-2013, 05:53 PM
dude it will not be worth it to even attempt to build it awd. way too much custom

how are you going to even figure out the front axles..

He's going to read the link I gave him..

How did you even figure out how to post? lol

The Dude
03-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Full-Race R14.2 build thread - Nissan Road Racing Forums (http://nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=2680)

Read just the first page of this and then realize how involved it is going to be to do it correctly.

TheRealSy90
03-30-2013, 06:23 PM
If you can do everything that Full-Race had to do, then go for it. Because that's the only way.

The Dude
03-30-2013, 07:52 PM
If you can do everything that Full-Race had to do, then go for it. Because that's the only way.

They didn't half-ass theirs. There are way more wrong ways to do things than right.

Why does it even matter? People who are capable of doing this don't come on zilvia asking for a complete parts list required for doing it.

ghoti
03-30-2013, 08:00 PM
^There was a guy who came here and asked how to put a 4g63 in and convert it to RWD and actually went through with it.

SLiDe_WaYz
03-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Use the search feature on here, there was a Kouki on here that was for sale a while back that had a 26 AWD done to it. Maybe he could help you out.

NismoKnights13
03-31-2013, 07:38 PM
Ok I guess I might not do it. Ill just do RB30.

holemilk00
03-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Ok I guess I might not do it. Ill just do RB30.

Being someone who has gone the RB30 route, I love how people throw comments out like this so easily, like its just no big deal. Once again, RB30 isn't exactly easy to do if you do it right.

NismoKnights13
03-31-2013, 08:59 PM
I wasn't assuming it would be easy. I actually don't know anyone personally that has done it. I've heard what needs to be done. Machining the block to fit the studs for one
But is it worth it?

OrangeVirus1
03-31-2013, 09:02 PM
^There was a guy who came here and asked how to put a 4g63 in and convert it to RWD and actually went through with it.

RWD 4g63 is actually pretty easy to do.

Use the Mitsubishi Mighty Max block with The 4G63 internals and the 2.4L crank + the Mighty max tranny / Mitsubishi Starion tranny and it's RWD.

Dolby109
04-02-2013, 07:05 AM
Being someone who has gone the RB30 route, I love how people throw comments out like this so easily, like its just no big deal. Once again, RB30 isn't exactly easy to do if you do it right.
Forgive my ignorance but I always assumed an RB30 was just a big bore and stroke?

RWD 4g63 is actually pretty easy to do.

Use the Mitsubishi Mighty Max block with The 4G63 internals and the 2.4L crank + the Mighty max tranny / Mitsubishi Starion tranny and it's RWD.
Yeah a lot of Conquest/Starions swap in 4G63's which are much more reliable than the 2.6L DSM engine they come with.

WalbridgeAuto&Performance
04-02-2013, 07:16 AM
contact Full-Race

NismoKnights13
04-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Do any of you know the specs to modify the RB26 oil pan to fit an S13 on Syko mounts?
Cut the Diff of seal axel holes and I've seen pics of the front of the Oil Pan cut of and welded shut to fit the crossmember.. I don't really wanna use an RB25 pan cuz it'll still need some adjustment and RB26 oil pan sounds better bolts up and is stronger.

BlewByYou
04-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Lol.. An Rb30 swap is a lil more than just a swap. alot of parts are needed that cost$$$ an the US doesnt have. Contact RIPS http://www.ripsltd.com/

They can give you a quote!

Croustibat
04-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Forgive my ignorance but I always assumed an RB30 was just a big bore and stroke?

RB30 is the mating of a shitty 4x4 patrol block to a DET head. Tons of work and money required to make it go properly and get crazy HP numbers (for a somewhat limited amount of time, of course)

Wasnt it april fools day yesterday ?

cause... going AWD on an S13. Then going RB30.

What next ? RB30 is hard ? Oh well, lets put a nascar crate engine .

Nah, already done on the BRZ.

CefiroA31
04-27-2013, 04:45 AM
Actually if you have complete r32 gtr front clip it's going to help a lot.
I have seen an A31 Cefiro with full rb26 r32 gtr awd drivetrain swapped in and running well. An A31 Cefiro has identical front suspension to an s13, so is quite possible to do.
Things I remember about how to do the swap :
Remove/cut the strut tower from s13, cut the strut tower from the r32 gtr front clip, weld the r32 gtr strut tower to s13 chassis.
Swap the front suspension of r32 gtr to the s13.
Notch the frame rail of the s chassis for the front axles to pass through to the wheel hubs, refer to the r32 frame rail for this.
For sitting the rb26, you can swap in the engine mountings from the r32 gtr front clip to the s chassis.
The front diff of r32 gtr is 4,11:1 ratio, make sure you have the same ratio in the rear diff. Better yet, swap in the complete subframe assy of the r32gtr to the s13, if you get it with the front clip.