PDA

View Full Version : KA24DE timing kit

todd5854
03-28-2013, 12:22 AM
Had a mechanic friend come over and look at my KA24DE that doesn't fucking run (after head gasket change)

He suggested that if I want it fixed, to buy a timing kit, because they come pre-marked and tell you where everything goes.

Needless to say we weren't able to fix it, it still doesn't start. I don't get it, everything is lined up properly as it should be.

Engine gets fuel, spark, has compression, but the timing is off. cam timing or distributor timing? I have no idea..

But for what I can sell my 240 vert for non running vs running, is it worth the $200 for a new timing kit, and all the hell and labor to replace all the chains and tensioners?

Car must be sold I need to pay off loans so either way it is for sale. or part-out whichever....

dallasb53
03-28-2013, 12:27 AM
:picardfp:

todd5854
03-28-2013, 12:31 AM
:picardfp:

So, the way threads work is by topic. different topics go to different threads. Is a timing kit and the car not starting the same thing? no..

dallasb53
03-28-2013, 12:36 AM
So, the way threads work is by topic. different topics go to different threads. Is a timing kit and the car not starting the same thing? no..

look bro i have been trying to help you with your problem...

by what you said, rough idle and misfiring... the base timing seems on point but the distributor timing seems off, ive said get a timing light and check it out. i promise i am speaking from experience. (happened when i first got my 240 a year and a half ago and i changed my timing chain) it took me forever to get it to run right because i was guessing at it. i picked up a timing light and within 5 minutes i had it running right, as she still is to this day. :bash:

todd5854
03-28-2013, 12:52 AM
look bro i have been trying to help you with your problem...

by what you said, rough idle and misfiring... the base timing seems on point but the distributor timing seems off, ive said get a timing light and check it out. i promise i am speaking from experience. (happened when i first got my 240 a year and a half ago and i changed my timing chain) it took me forever to get it to run right because i was guessing at it. i picked up a timing light and within 5 minutes i had it running right, as she still is to this day. :bash:

Sorry, Im just really pissed off right now.

Aghhhh, i believe you. its just insane that even though you can eye it up, a timing light is still needed. My friend was cranking the car while i was sliding the distributor back and forth and it still didn't want to start

dallasb53
03-28-2013, 01:06 AM
Sorry, Im just really pissed off right now.

Aghhhh, i believe you. its just insane that even though you can eye it up, a timing light is still needed. My friend was cranking the car while i was sliding the distributor back and forth and it still didn't want to start

its touchy man, seems simple but those gremlins fuck with you haha. try the timing light and report back, u might can rent one from autozone(never buy parts from them though) report back so i can further assist.

todd5854
03-28-2013, 01:09 AM
Alright I'll use the timing light and go from there, thanks for everything man

S13CoupeLover
03-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Did set the engine at tdc then install the distributer pointing at no. 1? You might have missed a tooth or 2 while putting in the dizzy.

todd5854
03-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Did set the engine at tdc then install the distributer pointing at no. 1? You might have missed a tooth or 2 while putting in the dizzy.

Distributor rotor points directly at cylinder number 1, which is pointing toward the front of the vehicle

S13CoupeLover
03-28-2013, 08:12 PM
hmmm... So.... fuel pump come on? injectors are working? getting spark? possibly reversed the hoses on the fuel line? coil good?<if you get spark then should be fine. All grounds grounded and tight? uh... if it's non of that, i got nothing. Virtual diagnostics isn't my forte. lol