PDA

View Full Version : stock BMC with z32 fronts...

rwtf
03-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Now i Know I need to get a z23 bmc to get the best results, but I recently replaced my stock s13 BMC mainly b/c mine leaked and needed a quick fix but my question is about pedal feel, the first time i hit the brakes it goes to the floor and then then after it it feels normal.

Now I dont know if thats normal with the z32 in front and stock rear or I still have air in the lines... any ideas?

zooopreme
03-17-2013, 05:12 PM
The S13's stock BMC simply just isn't enough for the Z32's even if it's just the front. With the larger BMC, it'll use less force to stop the car thus why you have the mushy pedal.

But if you don't want to go that route, there's also adjusting the output rod.

rwtf
03-17-2013, 06:16 PM
I do want to upgrade just didnt have the cash to do so at the time, I'm just wonder why does it go to the floor then it feels fine after.

cotbu
03-17-2013, 07:41 PM
The S13's stock BMC simply just isn't enough for the Z32's even if it's just the front. With the larger BMC, it'll use less force to stop the car thus why you have the mushy pedal.

This isn't true! Fact I run stock s13 BMC with full Z32 brake conversion, I don't have any problems, including the problems the OP is having.

OP you probably still have air in the system. I can verify my BMC size if necessary. also check you booster!

Agamemnon
03-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Stop being cheap and buy a Z32 BMC.

They're only $72 on rock auto.

rwtf
03-17-2013, 08:49 PM

really? I had no idea, I probably will, and how would I go about checking the booster? I know the check valve is good for sure.

Agamemnon
03-18-2013, 01:30 AM
really? I had no idea, I probably will, and how would I go about checking the booster? I know the check valve is good for sure.

Warm the car up. Turn of engine. Pump you brake pedal three times. With each pump the pedal should travel less and less. Start the engine again and hold the brake pedal for 30 seconds. It shouldn't move at all.

Also, go to Rockauto.com
Look for a BMC under a 1990 300zx TT.
CENTRIC Part # 13042603 - $72.29
It even has the optional 3rd line fitting for non ABS cars.

cotbu
03-18-2013, 01:35 AM

It's not about being cheap! If it ain't broke don't fix it!

p00t
03-18-2013, 12:36 PM
I had my doubts but I wanted to try something that bolted right up. I used a 15/16" MC off of a z31 non-ABS. The pedal feel is good, it is not super firm but the pedal effort is only a step above stock 7/8" MC.

What you need to be aware of (that I found out) is worn wheel bearings can make a big difference. So if you do the brake swap and after a few hard corners the pedal has more travel you will need to get new ones. When you have a very soft pedal it is not due to the size of the MC it is due to air/pad knock-back.

So maybe do more testing to find out where the problem is, it doesnt make sense if it is only the first time you touch the brakes.

Croustibat
03-18-2013, 03:55 PM
I had my doubts but I wanted to try something that bolted right up. I used a 15/16" MC off of a z31 non-ABS. The pedal feel is good, it is not super firm but the pedal effort is only a step above stock 7/8" MC.

What you need to be aware of (that I found out) is worn wheel bearings can make a big difference. So if you do the brake swap and after a few hard corners the pedal has more travel you will need to get new ones. When you have a very soft pedal it is not due to the size of the MC it is due to air/pad knock-back.

So maybe do more testing to find out where the problem is, it doesnt make sense if it is only the first time you touch the brakes.

That, exactly, although i'd recommend getting a 15/15 if you decide to get a bigger MC.

if you need to pump after braking hard and cornering to get a firm pedal, your wheel bearings are shot; they cant prevent the disc from deflecting, thus pushing the pads back in the caliper.

wheel bearing cost = $$$$$ so pray it just is some air still in it.

And you dont need to change the BMC for a bigger one. A bigger BMC means a harder pedal with less travel... which means you have to modulate more to avoid locking brakes, and you lose brake feeling.

That is the only difference. Bigger = harder pedal and shorter travel. The Z32 BMCs also send less force to the rear if i remember correctly, so you def. dont want one if you only fit front Z32 brakes.

OutlawLui
03-18-2013, 04:08 PM
I like turtles!

rwtf
03-18-2013, 04:50 PM
That, exactly, although i'd recommend getting a 15/15 if you decide to get a bigger MC.

if you need to pump after braking hard and cornering to get a firm pedal, your wheel bearings are shot; they cant prevent the disc from deflecting, thus pushing the pads back in the caliper.

wheel bearing cost = $$$$$ so pray it just is some air still in it.

And you dont need to change the BMC for a bigger one. A bigger BMC means a harder pedal with less travel... which means you have to modulate more to avoid locking brakes, and you lose brake feeling.

That is the only difference. Bigger = harder pedal and shorter travel. The Z32 BMCs also send less force to the rear if i remember correctly, so you def. dont want one if you only fit front Z32 brakes.

I already know my wheel bearings are messed up, and they arnt $$$ but I got s14 hubs so I have to replaced the whole thing... the nismo shop has them for 210.

Croustibat
03-19-2013, 08:28 AM
I already know my wheel bearings are messed up, and they arnt $$$ but I got s14 hubs so I have to replaced the whole thing... the nismo shop has them for 210.

I found them at 110$ each for the front at the nismo shop, which is a real bargain if they are genuine bearings.
These are sold between 200€ and 400€ each where i live (which is quite some money considering they are just bearings imho ).

I am going to buy some at that price, if they can confirm where they come from. Ichibas and the like always end up dying quite fast :/

thanks !

JtWo
03-26-2013, 03:03 AM
i had no problem running z brakes in the front with stock bmc in my old fast back. others even complimented the pedal feel when they drove it.

rwtf
03-26-2013, 01:25 PM
I found them at 110$ each for the front at the nismo shop, which is a real bargain if they are genuine bearings.
These are sold between 200€ and 400€ each where i live (which is quite some money considering they are just bearings imho ).

I am going to buy some at that price, if they can confirm where they come from. Ichibas and the like always end up dying quite fast :/

thanks !

yeah that was the best deal I could find,also I need to get new pads up front, gonna get the EBC Yellowstuff up front and PBM rotors.:wackit:

I'll shoot thenismo shop a email and get some more info on those hubs, gonna buy them my next paycheck