PDA

View Full Version : National Guard and going to school?

rokmplutonium
02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Has anyone joined the national guard while attending school full time? My main priority is finishing school, but I also want to be doing something that can lead to a potential career as well.
Can anyone provide me with some inside information as to what it'll be like? I'd rather get some information from someone that has actually done this before I talk to a recruiter.

dahveed
02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Don't know firsthand, I'm active duty butttt my roommate crossed over from ad to guard to go to school full time. GI Bill pays for all his shit. Guard doesn't do shit so you'll be good on being a full time student. They even asked him if he wanted to deploy, but he told em he's going to school and they were like, ok nvm. Lmao

lewisfk
02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
I have 12 years of service, 7 years with the Marine Corps.
I'm active duty and my 2 cents is: Find the career or skill set u want. Then find what branch has it and go from there.

Example: If you want the best skill set for medicine join the Navy. If u want mechanic skills I say join the Airforce. The Army and Airfoce training is easier to transfer to the civilian sector.

fliprayzin240sx
02-26-2013, 08:50 PM
If I was in your shoes, go talk to ROTC recruiter, get your degree and come in as an officer...do your commission and be college debt free.

Corbic
02-26-2013, 08:54 PM
If I was in your shoes, go talk to ROTC recruiter, get your degree and come in as an officer...do your commission and be college debt free.

Not likely to happen anymore.

Services are cutting back big time. My sister just graduated last year doing ROTC, several kids did not get commissions.

ROTC is not guarantied to pay for school either, they may only pay for a portion.

I do agree hoever that if you are going to serve, serve as an Officer. Better pay, more rewarding job, more likely to make a career and it's going to open far more opportunities post-service.

What would you rather be, a worker or a manager?