PDA

View Full Version : Cage advice?

snow hawk
02-14-2013, 07:44 AM
How's it going zilvians?

Just a quick question. I'm going to be running an 8 point in my s13 build. I've been looking around for cages, and I'm getting kind of stuck, because I don't know what type of metal caging to buy. I'm sure as hell not a welder, and I really don't know much about certain metals and their fabricating techniques.

I'm tryin to decide now between wall DOM tubing, and wall moly tubing. Pros and cons? Also, what are you running material wise in your cage? This isnt gunna just be for looks, I want it to be able to be functional.. lol.

Dtap1022
02-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Your best bet is to find a local fabricator that does this for a living, then they can decide which route to go with depending on budget and expectations. On that note, 1020 DOM (mild steel) is plenty strong and not too much of a pain to weld.and..cheap. kind of.

cchondro
02-14-2013, 08:40 AM
How's it going zilvians?

Just a quick question. I'm going to be running an 8 point in my s13 build. I've been looking around for cages, and I'm getting kind of stuck, because I don't know what type of metal caging to buy. I'm sure as hell not a welder, and I really don't know much about certain metals and their fabricating techniques.

I'm tryin to decide now between wall DOM tubing, and wall moly tubing. Pros and cons? Also, what are you running material wise in your cage? This isnt gunna just be for looks, I want it to be able to be functional.. lol.

Depending on what you are using it for it needs to be up to spec
If your going to compete use 1.5" DOM
I have a FD legal cage and I just went by the Formula D rule book since that will meet requirements for most other competitions

Meow69guy
02-14-2013, 01:43 PM
FD Allows any car 3500 LB's or lower to have 1.5 DOM .095 thick. mild steel seamless

Karlitos
02-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Yeah it will depend on what youre going for. Some other Road Race series require 1.75" OD or a .120 wall.

I really recommend against Moly for cages. Moly gets extremely work hardened under heat and becomes very brittle. They way to avoid is to heat treat any welded or machined Moly. Since you will not be finding an oven to fit an s13, just go with DOM mild and legitimate fabricator.

snow hawk
02-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'm gunna go with the DOM tubing, since that seems to be the best bet. Ill be posting up a build thread soon, and should feature it! thanks for all the advice!