PDA

View Full Version : newbie to fixing cars, sr20det

sre30s14
02-14-2013, 01:15 AM
I am a complete beginner, II just got my first wrenches, I literally have no other tools as of yet. I hope to get some.

I just bought an SR20 powered BMW E30 on a whim. I know its stupid but I wanted one desperately.

Well its the VTC S14 motor and I the VTC gears have worn I think. Sounds like a diesel and I think I should get some rocker stoppers ( I need an angle grinder for this one?)

Should I bother to fix it myself or give it to people who have done this before?

How about servicing it?

Can I destroy the motor if I do it incorrectly?

Ryanswartout
02-14-2013, 11:44 PM
i have never dealt with the VTC system b4 but the rocker arm stopers can be done relativly easy, you will need to buy a torque wrench for 20$ at auto zone though BC the cam cap bolts do need to be at torque specs, and make sure you loosen then and tighten them in the correct order, also make sure you pay attention to the teeth on the timeing chain and were they are in coralation to your cam gears (mark them, or line up at TDC) sr20's are an interferance motor and if you mess up you timeing to badly your pistons will slap your valves (trust me one drunk night and a new sr later) GL and have fun welcome to the endless wast or money for pleasure! (and no you wont need a grinder)

sre30s14
02-26-2013, 02:56 AM
i have never dealt with the VTC system b4 but the rocker arm stopers can be done relativly easy, you will need to buy a torque wrench for 20$ at auto zone though BC the cam cap bolts do need to be at torque specs, and make sure you loosen then and tighten them in the correct order, also make sure you pay attention to the teeth on the timeing chain and were they are in coralation to your cam gears (mark them, or line up at TDC) sr20's are an interferance motor and if you mess up you timeing to badly your pistons will slap your valves (trust me one drunk night and a new sr later) GL and have fun welcome to the endless wast or money for pleasure! (and no you wont need a grinder)

So you suppose by being careful and some tools I can sort it out?

Ryanswartout
02-26-2013, 03:22 AM
honestly yea, do some research on on the cam cap bolt removal and get torqe specs its honestly going to be super ez you remove two things... valve cover then cam caps then you put them back on just with the rocker stopers on look at pics of them in sr's so u know were they go ;) but its simple and a good starter project on a car like suspension is

sre30s14
02-26-2013, 03:25 AM
honestly yea, do some research on on the cam cap bolt removal and get torqe specs its honestly going to be super ez you remove two things... valve cover then cam caps then you put them back on just with the rocker stopers on look at pics of them in sr's so u know were they go ;) but its simple and a good starter project on a car like suspension is

Alright I'll go pick up some tools on the weekend.