PDA

View Full Version : Sunday was a sad day but good day (pics inside)

nrcooled
04-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Well the 240 is gone. I really think she went to a good home (a member of Zilvia) so it's not so bad. My wife actually shed a tear when the 240 drove off.

But the upside is the new ride:

http://members.cox.net/cowarta/LogoPicweb.JPG

Ihave to get over how tall the car is!
http://members.cox.net/cowarta/EVO%20Sideweb.JPG

FMIC but smaller then the 240 though
http://members.cox.net/cowarta/Evo%20FMICdayweb.jpg

http://members.cox.net/cowarta/Evo%20Backweb.JPG

Initial impressions are that it is as fast as the 240 and handles better. No lag and great throttle response. The interior is nice but nothing to shout about...there is a ton of room though. It's nice to have four doors again. Stereo is pretty darn good for stock but has a replcement already shipped so I can have Sirius.

Overall I love it but it had 68 miles when purchased so I need to break it in before I will take it over 5k RPM (the longest 500 miles in my life)

ONYX S-13
04-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Damn man..You got my color !...I love those cars..Have fun with it man...First thing you gotta do though is either paint those damn lights or get the JDM ones...Either way i want that car..once again have fun.

P.S...Can you tell me how car seats fit in the back seat....in my 240 it's super cramped and i was wondering if the lancer has tons of room in the back..I know i've seen some sedans that have no room in the back...They were basically a coupe with four doors..My friend wants to get one but he didn't want the back doors to be like the imprezas...I guess he went to test drive one of those and didn't like it cause there was still no room in the back for a carseat.

nrcooled
04-05-2004, 05:10 PM
The Evo 7 tails are the hotness but it will have to wait until I get spare cash. For the time being they will have to do

You got my color !...

Tarmac Black 0wNs all!!!!! With no sunroof (I am anti-sunroof)

Ghettokracker71
04-05-2004, 05:13 PM
4G63T owns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Ownedd: NICE NICE NICE NICE!

I love those! What do you think of the AWD when compared to your old RWD 240? Just out of curiosity,whats the other car sitting there in your driveway?

AWSOME BUY!!! :rawk: I'm so jealous

nrcooled
04-05-2004, 05:19 PM
What do you think of the AWD when compared to your old RWD 240?

I haven't really had a chance to get on it too much but as for initial impressions lift throttle will rotate the car alot. The 240 more throttle rotated the car alot. Getting on the gas the car just leaps forward with no hesitation the 240 spun the tires.

Just out of curiosity,whats the other car sitting there in your driveway?

My wife's 03 Mazdaspeed Protege. It's an awsome track car, very point and shoot and handles like nobodies business

RedSuns
04-05-2004, 05:47 PM
sell-out.....

blarg1!!!!!!!!11111oneone

sykikchimp
04-05-2004, 05:55 PM
dude.. your fleet is getting nicer and nicer. Can't wait to see the EVO on track. :)

nrcooled
04-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Johnathan....roflmao!!!!!!!

Charles- it will definately be out there. We are going to try to make it to the next MDA outing. I really like the way they run their program. Very professional and tons of track time!

To give the reasons I sold the 240 is that I need:

1. four doors
2. get out of modding
3. get something that I can drive to work and not feel like the token young guy

To give the reasons I got the Evo:

1. four doors
2. awsome stock
3. tons of room
4. I got a great deal on it
5. I took a ride in one at VIR and I was sold (I didn't even test drive mine...just bought it)
I called the dealer :rant2:, got financed over the phone :eek3d: then went to fill out paper work :zzz: and then drove it home :hyper: ::done and done::

fastpace
04-05-2004, 06:03 PM
damn you, but I congrat you on the great buy, that is one car or the new C6 corvette that I am also looking at after I graduate from college.

nismo2491
04-05-2004, 07:39 PM
damn bakari. just noticed that was you man. sorry to hear your gone from the group. be sure to inform the kid of www.midatlantic240sx.com

KEvin

West
04-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Very nice! I cant decide on what I would get STi or Evo. Prob a Scooby since we already have a 01 RS 2.5. I like the better handeling on the Evo though, Soobies tend to be top heavy... nothing that cant be fixed easily. Only thing I would do is replace the wing and get dif taillights. Hope you still hang around here!

nrcooled
04-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Very nice! I cant decide on what I would get STi or Evo. Prob a Scooby since we already have a 01 RS 2.5. I like the better handeling on the Evo though, Soobies tend to be top heavy... nothing that cant be fixed easily. Only thing I would do is replace the wing and get dif taillights. Hope you still hang around here!

I could never leave Zilvia! I most likely won't post as much but still will lurk like I always do. I was considering the STI also but the higher price tag for equal performance didn't sit well with me.

BTW-I was just looking at a shop that sells the EVO VII tails for $350 my money will go to an exhaust and ecu tune first (30+ hp gains)

Nismo-he is on zilvia so I know that he is most likely going to be on MA240

DRFT
04-05-2004, 08:27 PM
so you bought that car to ahve room for your kid right?

i bet he/she would brag to the other kids..."yea i got the coolest dad"

aa87
04-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Ive seen people on other forums just smoke the tail lights darker, or tinted them red.

stealthj
04-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Looks very nice man,

i was wondering did you ever consider the volkswagen R32? or did you need the 4dr?

nightwalker
04-06-2004, 05:43 PM
dam!!!! If I could afford an EVO now, I would buy one too. Great car.

nrcooled
04-06-2004, 05:49 PM
i was wondering did you ever consider the volkswagen R32?

The R32 is overpriced and N/A two big no-no's in my book

nightwalker- thanks. I am falling more and more in love with it everyday. I think I love the 4G63

KiDyNomiTe
04-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Nice buy. I prefer the STi, just love the sounds of Boxers :). A friend's dad has one (STi), very spacious and comfy. You probably are go9ing to fall into modding that thing too. First the exhaust, then you'll do some other BPU things, then one night your gonna dream about a bigger turbo :)

Var
04-06-2004, 05:59 PM
well it's been one day since you posted and i'm dying to know...has it broken down yet? :D

nrcooled
04-06-2004, 06:06 PM
I am avoiding the modding bug by rationalizing to myself that I haven't even begun to figure out what to mod! The car is awsome! Handles well and goes like stink. It's not the raw power that the 240 had but still good power. The 240 had the "sit back, shut-up and hold on" kinda power. The Evo has we're going really fast now power.

What I have seen that peaks my interest is the Vishnu X-Flash. It modifies the spark and fuel maps to get rid of the pig-rich tendancies, eliminates the speed and rev limiters, and raises the boost to 22psi. (20-60hp depending on mod level and octane used) That coupled with an exhaust would be perfect.

That alone is $1500 though :shrug: modding the EVO is expensive

Var
04-06-2004, 06:13 PM
that's the last thing i would do on that car is raise boost especially with our octane levels and the fact that the warranty is the best part about owning the EVO...they had an article about reflash/adjustble cam sprockets @ Vishnu. They retarded both cams by 5 degrees and reflashed the computer and the car dynoed 270 to the wheels. i think it was in SCC i dont remember exactly where i read about it.

nrcooled
04-06-2004, 06:17 PM
I'm in Virginia...we have 93 octane ha ha

Var
04-06-2004, 06:24 PM
haha that's tight for you. good shit...have you heard about the cam sprockets?

here's part of the article from SCC i found

The Vishnu EVO we tested back in the September '03 issue showed huge gains from retarding both cams 5 degrees, so we sent our car to Vishnu with a set of AEM cam gears in the trunk. Its mission: tune the car as is, with the stock cam timing and the RMR exhaust, then adjust the cam timing and tune it again. We wanted to see just how much power was available with each step.

That request should've been simple, as Shiv Pathak, Vishnu president, hydrocarbon-sniffing tuner, and occasional SCC contributor, had already tuned dozens of EVOs and, at that point, already had the maps pretty much dialed. Problem is, his EVO tuning is done with the ChipTorque Exede, a very sophisticated piggyback ECU, and a piggyback is limited to making adjustments relative to the stock ECU. Our ECU, for some reason, was different, so the offsets that worked on every other EVO were an utter failure on ours.

Pathak's only choice now was to custom-tune our car, an exhaustive iterative process he tackled with obsessive-compulsive thoroughness. Dialing in our two settings (stock cam timing and 5-degrees retarded) took him 189 dyno pulls, most of a day, and a tank and a half of gas.

Then the real work began. We returned to HKS, wanting all our testing to be done on the same dyno, and performance was back to its old, erratic self. Those 189 tuning runs were on crappy, 91-octane Northern California gas, but now we were on crappy, 91-octane Southern California gas. Despite having the same octane rating, the two fuels are clearly not the same. Luckily, we had anticipated just such a problem, and Pathak was already there, computer in hand. It took four hours and another 100 dyno pulls to get things dialed on our uniquely shitty petrol, but in the end, with pupils throbbing in a hybrdocarbon-poisoned haze, Pathak declared victory. The RMR exhaust, AEM cam gears, and Vishnu's exhaustive tuning took output from 233 to 273 hp with driveability and gas mileage improvements to boot.

Your results should vary
All this gasoline drama and our screwy ECU mean our results are a worst-case scenario. Our ECU was tuned more aggressively, with slightly leaner mixtures and more advanced timing than most. Strangely, our baseline dyno results are a close match for other stock EVOs, but the more aggressive stock tuning may explain why our car took the highway to knock sensor hell as soon as we put a free-flowing exhaust on it. This shouldn't happen on anyone else's EVO, and it certainly shouldn't happen in an area with 93-octane gas.

The exhaustive retuning drama should also be unique to our situation. Pathak has been making dozens of trips to various parts of the country to tune cars. With at least 10 cars gathered at each location, he's seen a comprehensive picture of regional fuel differences and is able to ship his Exede piggyback ECUs with different maps depending on where you live.

Just how big is the difference in fuel? The week before our second tuning session, Pathak was in Texas, where he was tuning on the same kind of Dynojet in similar weather conditions (hot and humid). Several Texan cars with the same modifications that made 273 hp on our car, made an even 300 hp at the wheels on 93-octane Texas gas. Color us jealous.

AKADriver
04-06-2004, 06:53 PM
NICE!!!! TWO turbocharged black sedans... and here I am with two N/A four cylinder FF hatchbacks :cry: ;)

Can't wait to see them both in action!

240KAT
04-06-2004, 07:02 PM
I didnt even realize it was you until the one guy pointed it out. Sorry to see the f/b go. The car was so bomb. Lol, I love how you were like 'i bought this car to get out of the modding...' '...im looking into the exhaust and vishnu ecu reflash...' :whip: Modifying owns you.

nrcooled
04-07-2004, 09:32 PM
I didnt even realize it was you until the one guy pointed it out. Sorry to see the f/b go. The car was so bomb. Lol, I love how you were like 'i bought this car to get out of the modding...' '...im looking into the exhaust and vishnu ecu reflash...' :whip: Modifying owns you.

Yeah, yeah, yeah....

All the talk of the Evo running pig rich is right though. Three days of driving have left me with an empty tank. The Vishnu will help this some by advancing the timing and slightly leaning the a/f ratios (higher boost doesn't hurt either) Just think of it as saving our precious crude oil resources :x:

xS1LV1Ax
04-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Congrats Bakari! Hey you should get on www.DCEvoClub.com. My evo buddy is on there, as are all the local evo guys. GOod choice in a car. sad to see the 240 go, but BIGGER AND BETTER THINGS i have to say! Hopefully i can sell my car soon and get a new ride :).

Actually, there is an EVO meet on fri night. Starbucks Tysons next to Stholman.

nrcooled
04-08-2004, 05:55 AM
PJ- I have already joined DCEvo my neighbor who also has an Evo told me about the site. Hopefully I will be able to make it out to Tyson's on Friday. I just need to get some info on times

xS1LV1Ax
04-08-2004, 10:27 AM
i may be around the evo meet w/ my friend. We will see when he gets back from FLA.

Var
04-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah....

All the talk of the Evo running pig rich is right though. Three days of driving have left me with an empty tank. The Vishnu will help this some by advancing the timing and slightly leaning the a/f ratios (higher boost doesn't hurt either) Just think of it as saving our precious crude oil resources :x:

I'm sure Shiv knows what he's doing, but it sounds funny the way you say it

Higher boost, advanced timing, and leaner fuel mix... :nono: