PDA

View Full Version : May move to CA, how much am I looking at monthly for rent in SD area?

Grendel
02-09-2013, 11:17 AM
A little off topic but I know there are a ton of CA people here living in some pretty nice spots.

I might move from AL to CA at the end of the year. Was trying to get a place somewhere 30-45 mins from either SDSU or UCSD.

Any suggestions on some decent neighborhoods? Any idea how much I'm looking at for either rent or buying a house?

dawagarage
02-09-2013, 12:03 PM
ive lived here for 3 years, lived in the diffferent apartments.

it depends what you want.

location: by the beach, near dt, walking distance to class, near the trendy neighborhoods, in the hood, etc

do you want onsite laundry or inside your apt laundry? do you want a garage? single bedroom, studio, etc

im going to tell you that if you require your own personal garage (i do, so i can work on my car,) that will narrow your search bigtime. itll also tack 100-200 more on the place.

with that being said, there are A LOT of places that you can move to within 30-45 of those schools. san diego is HUGE, but there are so many gd highways here and theyre pretty efficient except for rush hour.

dawagarage
02-09-2013, 12:08 PM
the 1st apartment i lived in was in clairemont. clairemont is a nice area to live in.
i had a roommate and the place was 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, no garage, laundry in our apt. that was 1600 total, without including utilities.

2nd place was in clairemont, but a different location. it was a condo i guess. 2 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage, laundry in the condo. 1650 total not including utilities.

well my roommates moved away so i had to get my own place.
i just needed 1 bed, 1 bath, preferrably laundry in apt, but DEFINITELY a garage. i wanted to live either in pb (pacific beach,) northpark, or maybe hillcrest. i was shooting for around 900ish a month. i found a few places, some even in northpark (big surprise cuz everyone wants to live there so no one moves away.) but since i needed a short lease that kinda fucked me.

i ended up moving to city heights. i hate this place, its the hood, dont move here.
1100 a month for 2 bed, 1 bath, 1 car garage.

Grendel
02-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Trying to avoid apartments. I'd like to be able to watch movies and play music without disturbing someone above/beside my apt. I've been doing the apartment thing here in AL for the last few years and I'm real tired of it.

I was thinking of checking these spots:

Fallbrook
Bonsall
Temecula (I'm from Aguanga, I know Temecula - I like that place)
Fallbrook
Poway

I know I want to avoid:
Ramona

A garage isn't necessary but is nice.

Living within walking distance of school isn't a big deal, was mostly trying to find a spot that wouldn't be a horrible commute every day.

I'll be looking for some sort of IT work (Sysadmin/Network Admin/etc) and I'm guessing there should be some decent jobs doing that in San Diego. My brother is going to try to transfer to either UCSD or SDSU - I'm trying to get a place for both of us.

dawagarage
02-09-2013, 02:14 PM
i hear ya. i hate apts/communities. the whole time i was here i tried to rent a house but couldnt find one that met all i my requirements that i could afford.

temecula and poway are quite a commute. the other places im not even familiar with.

rcdad123
02-10-2013, 02:26 AM
temecula is about 70-80 miles from UCSD OR SDSU. fallbrook and bonsall are about 50-60 miles away. 15 south is pretty busy in the morning and 15 north is pretty busy after work hours. that is the freeway your gonna be taking to go to SDSU and part of it to go to UCSD. if you end up working at SDSU, east county(el cajon, lakeside, santee) is pretty affordable and close by. if you end up at UCSD, anything close by is gonna be expensive. i live in san diego by the 32nd naval base, which is about 15 miles from UCSD and about 9 miles from SDSU. rent for a decent house/neighborhood around here will be around 1600-2000, depends on how big the house is. UCSD is in La Jolla, it`s a very expensive neighborhood. i live in a 2 bed room 1 bath house in an apartment complex that we manage, we pay $1000/month. the apartments in the complex are 1 bedroom 1 bath units and they are $800/month. we do have garages for extra $50/month.

LovetoSlide
02-10-2013, 05:19 AM
If you want to live near campuses expect to pay more. The further you get away the cheaper the housing becomes, usually.

I'm renting a room in a home in Clairemont Mesa for 550 a month, utilities and all included if that gives you some kind of idea. I'm sure singles around La Jolla go for around 1000 a month or 1500 for a double.

dos eses
02-10-2013, 09:35 AM
I used to live in Pacific Beach. It was a 3 bedroom house with a front yard and apartments in the back. Like 20 mins from the colleges. Off street parking too. We were paying $2100 a month when we left, but water and trash was included.

Loved the neighborhood, the beach/bay area was beautiful, and we were like 4 or 5 blocks from Garnett where all the bars where.

zerodameaon
02-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Look at Craigslist for the area. Also National City will be about the cheapest in the SD area but it is that way for a reason. The I15 always has quite a lot of traffic on it near Miramar so anything north of that is going to be a long drive, a 20min drive can easily be an hour or more.

sw20>>s14
02-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Damn SD is cheap!