PDA

View Full Version : PC question: migrating to SSD

Dutchmalmiss
02-08-2013, 12:05 PM
So I finally picked up an SSD for my laptop and am told that migrating/cloning the original HDD to the new SSD is possible, thus not having to start with a fresh install of the OS.

Question is, is the cloning process guaranteed to work without risk? Who's done this before? This may be my only option since I wasn't provided with an OS disk when I purchased my laptop. Thanks in advance for your help.

drift freaq
02-08-2013, 12:11 PM
So I finally picked up an SSD for my laptop and am told that migrating/cloning the original HDD to the new SSD is possible, thus not having to start with a fresh install of the OS.

Question is, is the cloning process guaranteed to work without risk? Who's done this before? This may be my only option since I wasn't provided with an OS disk when I purchased my laptop. Thanks in advance for your help.

carbon copy cloner. Done it in the past many times it migrates damn near 99-100 percent of whats on the drive. it will definitely get the whole operating system.

Dutchmalmiss
02-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Ah I learned that's a Mac-only software. I'm on Windows7 haha. Unless there is a Win7 version of it that I failed to find.

HyperTek
02-08-2013, 01:17 PM
hey dude, just do a fresh install, and back up all your important files.. Original Laptop hard drives are riddled with crap you don't need, and tend to contain disk partitions for their backup software. I reformatted my whole laptop and couldn't be happier. It is worth it, your system will be faster.

Dutchmalmiss
02-08-2013, 01:29 PM
hey dude, just do a fresh install, and back up all your important files.. Original Laptop hard drives are riddled with crap you don't need, and tend to contain disk partitions for their backup software. I reformatted my whole laptop and couldn't be happier. It is worth it, your system will be faster.

Yes, I hate pre-installed bloatware. Unfortunately, I wasn't provided with an OS disk when I purchased this laptop new, unless it's something they can ship to me at no cost (which I highly doubt haha).

If all else fails, I'll try to torrent the Win7 install disk or something.

HyperTek
02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
you can download direct from whoever makes the laptop, or even microsoft, than use the key on the bottom of the laptop.

PeaceOnesxWai
02-08-2013, 03:39 PM
you can download direct from whoever makes the laptop, or even microsoft, than use the key on the bottom of the laptop.

Yup, you can call tech support if anything and there is a possibility they will send you a windows CD.

Im pretty sure the whole reason of changing to SSD is to speed up the computer so by moving all you old stuff into your new SSD is kind of limiting its full potential.

zerodameaon
02-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Follow this. Seans info is pretty much 100% spot on for SSD's and he is the resident storage guy.
Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs (http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds)

Also no need to torrent them as Microsoft lets you download them free. Digital River is their digital content/ISO management company.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/