PDA

View Full Version : SD avoid san diego tire & wheel outlet

dawagarage
02-06-2013, 08:25 PM
here is the link to my yelp review (http://www.yelp.com/biz/san-diego-tire-and-wheel-outlet-san-diego#hrid:xPsFRsv0pW852DgSnKN21A)

and copy/pasted
i recently moved from clairemont to the city heights area. rather than travel all the way back to clairemont for my 'old' tire shops, i thought id search for a local one.
yelp lead me to san diego tire & wheel outlet, with it's alluring 5 stars.

CLIFF NOTES:
1st visit resulted in a damaged tire (upon dismounting.)
second visit resulted in san diego tire & wheel outlet bottoming out my truck, and damaging a suspension component to the extent that it was completely disconnected.

the first time around i needed to remove my current tires from my truck (1973 datsun 620) and swap them out with a new set of tires that i had. jorge, at the front desk was very friendly and helpful, as was tony (anthony,) the technician. i had planned for these tires (245/45r16) to go in the front and replace the current tires (215/40r16.) the 245s were too wide so i had them put in the back. tony was very helpful in letting me see how they would look in the front, and where they were rubbing,etc. i kept the few month 'old' tires (215s) as i had planned to sell them. once i got home i started to take photos of the old tires so that i could sell them. that is when i discovered that one of the tires had a tear (see photo.) i brought the tire back to san diego tire & wheel outlet the next day to show them the tear. jorge said that the tire is ok and that a wheel could still be mounted to it, no problem. this could be true, but the tear shouldnt be there. and furthermore i wouldnt buy NOR resell a tire with a tear in it.

a few days later i established that i want money for the damaged tire. jorge had to get confirmation from his manager to reimburse me for half the price. (tire cost $70 new and was only a few months old.) well lets fast forward to

wednesday, february 6th 2013.
i have since received 2 new tires (225/45r16) and finally had the time to stop in and have them those smaller front tires (215/40r16.) rather than receive the cash reimbursement for the damaged tire, i intended to have them use that credit towards mounting/balancing my new tires (225s.) one of the technicians attempts to drive my truck onto the lift and then there is an audible metal on metal bang sound, followed by the sound of my rear tires spinning on the pavement but not attaining traction. i go over to investigate. neither technician bothers to tell me what happened or even acknowledge me. upon further investigation, i realize that the metal/metal sound was one of my suspension components banging onto the (automotive) lift. upon hearing this noise, one of the techs tried to reverse the car, and thus pulled apart the suspension component (see photo.) the 2 guys looked under the car and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary, probably because they are not familiar with this old suspension set up. heck, i didnt know about this specific suspension system until after i bought the truck.

i have seen another example of this suspension component getting caught on something and i knew exactly what needed to happen, it needs to be banged (with a mallet) back into place. i went inside to call out jorge and bring up what happened. he assured he/they would take care of it (well, damn right you will. you guys messed it up in the first place! you didnt have to tell me that.)

they ended up banging the part back into place/shape, and then i still had them remove & replace the front tires to receive my credit. jorge later came out and gave me $35 and told me that the labor was free (because they messed up my truck.)

a few photos
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/488084_10151511770923755_1102830789_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/531902_10151511771123755_92866562_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/600729_10151511771233755_1785094459_n.jpg

Tempo
02-12-2013, 11:37 PM
personally i know jorge and its nice to see that he took care of you and everything but i wouldn't go as far as saying to avoid them completely. SD tire and wheel are one of the few tire shops in SD that super stretch tires and i've been going there for the past 2 years. It sucks what happened with you but I've had them mount and unmount tires and ive kept the old tires with nothing wrong with them multiple times, So it kinda seems hard to believe that you got a tear in your tire because of them using the equipment improperly, but not impossible to happen. All and all though It looks like they took responsibility for what they did and took care of you sooo.... :wan:

Sidenote: Those guys have no problem with lowered cars all day.. ive brought my car and my buddy derek goes there (for future readers)
dereks
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/841214_436440233094709_1236773844_o.jpg

mine
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo97/77Drifter77/new1.jpg

MADE
02-13-2013, 06:11 AM
Jorge?

What happend to Q or Omar?

I use to go there back in the day.

dawagarage
02-13-2013, 09:54 PM
ive heard good things about this especially from the 'modified' community and people rave about them on yelp.

if it were just the torn tire, i couldve let that slide without saying anything, as i was going to

but it was them damaging that anchor arm assembly and the 2 techs not even being aware they had done something wrong/knocked something out of place and that it was a vital suspension component.

rcdad123
02-13-2013, 10:05 PM
from my past experience with slammed cars/trucks, i make sure that it can go on a lift with out getting damaged. a lot of "techs" now a days have no clue when it comes to slammed vehicles. i own a shop, and if i have doubts on a customer`s car, i won`t work on it. how can they miss the torsion bar hanging off. i`m pretty sure it made a lot of noise when they backed the car off the lift.

iVanRoz
02-14-2013, 02:01 AM
I've been there before. Granted for lifted trucks and such but I'm thinking of taking my zenki for new tires there since I don't know any other people who deal with stretched tires around me. Plus my family members are regulars and take their cars there. Sorry about your experience bro.