PDA

View Full Version : 91 S13 Hatch clicking while driving??

southfloriida
02-04-2013, 02:37 PM
As the title says I have a 1991 240sx hatch with the stock KA24DE that has not seen a rebuild to my knowledge. Today while driving down the road I noticed a clicking sound while accelerating in third gear around 3k RPM's... I know that the timing chains in the KA's chatter while at a dead stop and this sounds similar but a bit louder. It definitely is coming from the engine bay and the car is currently overheating after about 15-20 minutes of driving. The car makes this noise in each gear around 2500 to 3000 RPMS and goes off and on. I'm not very mechanically savvy and any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you very much.

todd5854
02-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Check your rear CV joints, if a boot gets ripped open it will click.. and if its definitely ripped and clicking, replace it before it snaps on you.

Link
02-06-2013, 08:30 PM
not sure how severe your clicking is, but mine was doing the same thing. if it is the same as mine, if you keep driving it, the motor will blow. no idea what was wrong exactly, but it had pretty bad clicking and overheated a lot.

MrSanchez925
02-06-2013, 08:48 PM
nm msglngth

No 240.. No id
02-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Crank your music up. If you still hear clicking, then your music its not loud enough.

vas13hatch
02-06-2013, 10:04 PM
You should figure out why it's overheating, open the radiator cap then let the car warm up and see if the coolant is moving across, if not wait a lil while, keep an eye on the temp gauge and check it again, if it doesn't move you need to check the thermostat, it may be stuck closed, better to get a new one either way, replace any coolant you lost pulling the thermo and check the radiator again. If the coolant still isn't moving then you need a water pump. Then check to see if the clicking sound is still there.

Also pull your valve cover off, when I got mine I pulled the vc and the upper timing chain guide was broken laying on the chain. This seems to be pretty common and may be the clicking you here..

Good luck with it

buntaMN
02-13-2013, 11:33 PM
this same problem happened to my single cam... it BLEW up lol

turns out drifting out in the snow with high RPMs is bad for rod bearings and headgaskets lol

also 2 other sohc's died that week from the same thing... one of them was drifting with me and blew later in the day lol