PDA

View Full Version : Is Hydro Ebrake a North American Thing?

derass
01-30-2013, 03:14 PM
seems to me that initiating with a hydro ebrake is the north american style of drifting. drive straight to entry, pull brake and go. noticed this after watching incar footage at FD long beach. i have watched a lot of D1SL and drift tengoku vids and noticed that these drivers prefer feint initiations. look at any footage from nikko or bihoku.

here is a good video of why the feint may be better than ebrake intiations.
Doriten's Kawasaki and girl drifter Sacchan - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYO885VRTOU)

what do you think?

Hashiriya415
01-30-2013, 03:23 PM
I think you should just keep watching your little bottle car stuff. Your thread is just dumb. Like saying why does this team from ..... like BOV on their cars and teams from ..... Don't run BOV

E-Brake on any race is up to the team/driver preference. What works and what is cost effective. And if any rules.

twinspool
01-30-2013, 04:19 PM
seems to me that initiating with a hydro ebrake is the north american style of drifting. drive straight to entry, pull brake and go. noticed this after watching incar footage at FD long beach. i have watched a lot of D1SL and drift tengoku vids and noticed that these drivers prefer feint initiations. look at any footage from nikko or bihoku.

here is a good video of why the feint may be better than ebrake intiations.
Doriten's Kawasaki and girl drifter Sacchan - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYO885VRTOU)

what do you think?

Key word here, they prefer, doesn't mean that they don't use the e-brake zero percent of the time to initiate slide.

90240sx07
01-30-2013, 04:47 PM
insane japanese drifting race in the streets ( toyota vs saab vs toyota ) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDYVhU9W7BE)
notice the use of the ebrake

K_style
01-30-2013, 07:03 PM
insane japanese drifting race in the streets ( toyota vs saab vs toyota ) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDYVhU9W7BE)

Saab huh? .

Hashiriya415
01-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Old cars used to have mechanical brakes also. Then switched to hydraulic.
I noticed this is an older video from 90's and they are just street rods.

Its all up to you, that's what I'm gonna say.

shoguner
01-30-2013, 10:46 PM

Saab huh? .

LOL saab...... oh people...
P.s i know you are making fun of it too K_style

zooopreme
01-31-2013, 09:03 AM
Hydro's aren't just a North American thing. It's a preference thing for drivers.

But a lot of North Americans basically ruined the fun of drifting by making drifting a really competitive sport with all of the V8's and what not. (Leave to the US to make something a dick slinging game huh?) And so the hydro is put in to accommodate for more brake control.

And fwiw, these drifters are using weight transfering/feint drifting too but the wheel jerk is very minuscule or quick. Mind you, they've been doing this for quite some time.

nismostate
01-31-2013, 09:39 AM
buddy from japan taught me to full throttle feint entry instead of ebrake so i rarely use it unless needed.
i have noticed that more US drifters prefer the ebrake entry though.

shoguner
01-31-2013, 11:20 AM
Hydro's aren't just a North American thing. It's a preference thing for drivers.

But a lot of North Americans basically ruined the fun of drifting by making drifting a really competitive sport with all of the V8's and what not. (Leave to the US to make something a dick slinging game huh?) And so the hydro is put in to accommodate for more brake control.

And fwiw, these drifters are using weight transfering/feint drifting too but the wheel jerk is very minuscule or quick. Mind you, they've been doing this for quite some time.

Japanese people have been drifting with v8 for along time too....
Just not Ls1's

cgtdream
01-31-2013, 11:44 AM
This thread is a huge waste of space entirely..Since it is too easy to prove that hydro setups are used across the world, and as posted earlier, pure driver preference.

As far as your question on whether which is better, i think both are good since the end result is the same. If anything it really comes down to the driver.

Personally, when i do drift, i do not use the ebrake. But when it comes to any other form of driving i abuse the fuck out of the ebrake, espcially "touge" runs, autocross, rally.....

zerodameaon
01-31-2013, 12:09 PM
I remember hearing that FD drivers are discouraged from feint style entries. Last year at palm beach before the infamous Daigo and JTP run, Daigo was docked some points for using a feint entry. Its preference but as well if you get docked points you will learn to use that ebrake above all.

Ninjamasta04
01-31-2013, 12:19 PM
I have seen alot of jap drifters use ebrakes on beginer or novice levels. Fients are harder to learn than ebrake, so when you are talking about D1 drivers they could pretty much do all that stuff.
Try watching some videos of Drift heaven, many of them are mid level drifters and they use ebrakes alot.

omgRWDgoodness!
01-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Only noobs initiate using the e-brake.

90240sx07
01-31-2013, 03:04 PM
Only noobs initiate using the e-brake.

guess every formula d driver is a noob then

Matej
01-31-2013, 03:30 PM
It is an Australia thing.

brndck
02-03-2013, 10:12 PM
It is an Australia thing.

its a uruguay thing.

@op hydro is a very useful tool, especially if you have dual rear calipers.

so what the japanese don't use it exclusively.
americans have adopted drifting as their own, and will make adjustments as they see fit.

the aussies and new zealanders don't drift just like the japanese
the europeans don't either.

thats like asking "hey why do europeans use so many bmws for drifting?"
every region is bound to have their own styles/preferences.

opinion threads are lame.

unless you are only asking what MY opinion is and no one elses.

180 drifter
02-05-2013, 07:26 AM
From my extensive initial d studying and research, i believe that a feint entry will net you higher speeds throughout. but with the engine torque and tire size of the american muscle it pretty much doesn't matter because you will make up that speed almost instantly. Whereas with a lower powered car with smaller tires you would have a slower entry speed by using an e-brake initiation and slower speed throughout the corner.

tobroketobuildarealcar
02-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Hydro is strictly preference but if you ask any seriously competative tandem competition drifter he or she will telk you it is a abdolutely nessisary tool for many reasons not just initiations it is actually more commonly used to make mid drift corrections

turboshoebox
05-23-2019, 05:28 PM
There are def some very american qualities of drifting

-hydro ebrake
-bash bars
-v8 swaps

kanyedian
05-23-2019, 06:10 PM
You're likely gonna get flamed for bringing back such an old thread; but I agree with your post.

collegekid
05-23-2019, 06:36 PM
Sounds like someone went to the memorial day sale at Home Depot and bought a shovel to dig up some ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold ass shit.

afishysilvia
05-23-2019, 06:41 PM
Can’t say I’m surprised, Dickhead.

turboshoebox
05-24-2019, 11:11 AM
There are def some very american qualities of drifting

-hydro ebrake
-bash bars
-v8 swaps

Despite the age everything still holds true to this day