PDA

View Full Version : Lengthening Half Shafts

brentjj
01-29-2013, 10:20 PM
Hey all.

I'm in a predicament where I need to lengthen both my rear shafts coming out of my diff to the rear wheels. I'm running about a 6 inch wide body done by moving control arms but now have the problem of shafts too short. The original plan was to make some dolt in spacers that bolted on but I feel they won't hold to the 550+ foot pounds of torque my engine is putting out.

Is there any way I could lengthen the shafts? I was thinking about cutting splicing and sleeving but I still don't think that will hold. Does any one know of a place that could make a new shaft at a longer length?

Thanks for reading,

Brent.

redsx13
01-30-2013, 01:28 AM
Three words Driveshaftshop.com, that's the number one place for aftermarket half shafts and drive shafts for 240s, I'd love to see that project of yours.

Driveshaft shop is gonna be expensive tho. I honestly feel that you can sleeve the stock ones. If you notice at one end the cv joint comes apart and you can remove the bearings (I'm almost positive it's the outside joint) . There is an Alan screw that holds it together on the inside.

I'd cut the shaft, get a piece of round stock about the thickness of the shaft, cut to desired length, and weld in. Set it on a flat table tho to get it straight. Then sleeve it. If your welds are good it will hold. Much easier than a spacer, cheaper than a custom one/ones

Good luck,
Brandon

rcdad123
01-30-2013, 09:54 AM
lengthening drive shafts might work if you don`t have sticky rear tires and does not encounter hard launches or shock.

Mikester
01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Driveshaftshop.com

^^This^^

They are a bit expensive, but their workmanship is worth every penny.

Supergoji
01-30-2013, 10:03 AM
wider wheels??????
save you all the headache

Mikester
01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
wider wheels??????
save you all the headache

Doesn't matter- he moved his arms out, which means the hubs, spindles etc went with them... From the sound of it, the shafts are physically too short to safely reach the hubs. Only options are to find compatible shafts or have some custom-made. Splicing in a length of shaft would be okay for stock torque- but definitely not for a 550ft/lb load.

brentjj
02-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll give the driveshaft shop a call on Monday. Right now I have a set of nitto drags for the rear so not sticky tires isn't an option at this point. Haha I'll probably give splicing and welding a try and see if they hold. If not it would be good to know that the shop could make a solid set for me.

jr_ss
02-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Splicing and welding is not going to hold and is a stupid idea. You're asking to fuck shit up doing that. Most shafts are hardened or tempered steel. Once you heat them up, you remove their hardness/temper and you'll twist/snap a shaft in no time.

dawagarage
02-02-2013, 06:32 PM
hit up your local drive shaft shops, dude

Bink Industries
02-03-2013, 12:30 AM
i have seen cars making over 600HP with billet aluminum spacers and aircraft grade bolts with no problem. spacer goes bettween the diff and the axles.

Mikester
02-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Billet spacers & burly bolts is a helluva lot better than cutting/welding. Even so, driveshaft shop is the best option.