PDA

View Full Version : networking?

plan b
04-02-2004, 10:38 AM
im trying to connect two computers to one dsl line, do i need both router and switch, just switch, or just router?

DuffMan
04-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Theres a lot of ways to do it but the simplest is to just get a router with more than one port. Like a 4 port router, they are very common.

cali240sxdrifter
04-02-2004, 11:21 AM
unless u got two lan cards on your computer and one lan card on your other computer, you can share your internetcontection on the primary computer, wait like a min or two and then the other computer will connect to the net.

but like Duffman said there are lots of ways to do it.

NZO
04-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Easiest is just getting a switch which is plug and play. These days though routers are getting really cheap and most are pretty easy to setup. Unless you like to nerd around with it just get a switch, works great.

plan b
04-02-2004, 12:43 PM
so i can get connection to the internet with just a switch?

s13driver
04-02-2004, 02:09 PM
i prefer router sicne you are using dsl which i belive you need to logon with ur acc# n pws. i mean the router i got allows me to have my acc# n pws store in it so that i can be on like 24/7 even when my pc is shut down. also that with a router it is still good when you switch to cable. but with a switch.. it just wont work that way. but all in all don waste money in a switch just get a router... is not that complicate to set it up.

Drift101
04-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Computer1:
Lan card($15)(wired method) or wireless card($50)(usb or PCI)

Computer2:
Lan card(wired method) or wireless card(usb or PCI)

Misc.
Router($30) or Wireless router($70)
LAN cable ($5)

if cable, jsut basically hook it up and setup server specs for "obtain IP automatically".
if DSL, set it up for PPPoE and enter in the dial up info(i.e. username nd password)

router allows you to share connection at the same time, i never worked with a switch, but probably you can only use one at a time, hence "switch". I could be wrong about the switch though, like i said, never worked with it.

cali240sxdrifter
04-02-2004, 02:58 PM
a switch is only if u have static ip's. if you have like verzion, yahoo sbc, earthlink, aol, that sort of company for cable or dsl connection they don't give u an extra static ip unless u pay for it.

go router or wireless, i got wireless and it works awesome. I got the Netgear brand which is a ok brand for routers, but it was pretty damn cheap at Fry's. I forgot to try Ebay which you can find pretty good routers really cheap.

Bryants95240sx
04-02-2004, 03:02 PM
yup just get a router dont waste your time with a switch.IF you go wireless be sure to use the security features.B/c its really easy to hack wireless connections.I would recomend linksys or cisco for a router.thats just up to you though.

G_Fish240
04-02-2004, 03:10 PM
get a router, its all you need, built in fire wall, and once you setup it up you dont have to dial in if u use PPOE anymore, the router does it for you