PDA

View Full Version : RX7 FD help

killer240
01-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Sup fellas, I'm in the market for a new DD. I don't have a specific car in mind, but theres a 1993 RX7 in my area. It is a Touring Model with 130K on the chassis and 80K on the motor. The motor was from a car the owner totalled before and did the swap himself. The car runs fine and it has a clean title, but it is in non-op with no back fees though.

Now I am not an RX7 guy and have no clue about it whatsoever so I need a little help. How much would you pay for this one? How much is it worth?

The last time he checked the compression, it was 97 psi for both rotor. I have been reading some stuff online. A good compression should be above 100 psi, anything bellow will likely break down. Although, the motor do have 80k miles..

There are more parts on the car, but these are just the ones I'm interested in if I decided to purchase the car.
With these, He is asking $8,000
These parts also came off from his old FD that he totalled
Add ons:
HKS intake with carb sticker
HKS SSQV BOV
3" megan downpipe with flex pipe welded on
3" bonez high-flow cat
PFS catback
Act SS clutch
Unorthodox Flywheel
Pettit Racing Short Shifter old version (I guess old version was the better than the newer ones)
ABS delete
R1 dual oil coolers
Fluidyne radiator
Atkins themal pellet
Bosch Fuel pump
Aeromotive FPR
99 front end and tail lights
Polyurethane Motor mounts, diff mounts, trailing arm bushings, and toe link bushings

Cons:
Paint is a little faded, Brilliant Black
Trunk lid holes for spoler was welded but needs fiber glass work to even out the surface
A/C needs recharging
Needs alignment
Inside passenger door handle is broken.

So just imagine it didn't have the tail light cover, side skirts, mud guards, and wheels (just picture it with different wheels)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8499/8416225224_02a03cdaf1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8416225224/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8416225224/) by d_2jzgte (http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/), on Flickr
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8226/8416225148_08b2864873.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8416225148/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8416225148/) by d_2jzgte (http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/), on Flickr

ILoveJDM
01-25-2013, 11:00 PM
make sure he rewired the fuel pump when he installed the new one,
i see full exhaust and intake, and no ecu tune.
so to me it looks like extra spending in your near future on top of the cost of this car

killer240
01-25-2013, 11:07 PM
he also have HKS twin power ignition, C7 ignition coil relocation, and Apexi PFC w/ datalogit. Right now it is just based on PFC map, but I am not getting those.

I mean with all the parts listed on the first post, does $8,000 sound fair?
I know on KBB it's worth more, but KBB is not in my book.

Also the Down pipe is megan with flex pipe welded on.

bornslippy73
01-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Do you post this in rx7club.com? You would get better advice there.

Did you get the VIN to check for yourself if any DMV fees are delinquent?

ILoveJDM
01-25-2013, 11:14 PM
he also have HKS twin power ignition, C7 ignition coil relocation, and Apexi PFC w/ datalogit. Right now it is just based on PFC map, but I am not getting those.

you should really consider all of that, if he has it for sale. HKS twin power is a must when you start boosting above 320whp-ish. the PFC is the most common upgrade and they are pretty cheap for FD, there are literally SO many maps available for you for every bolt on you get, there is a huge support for it, 90% of rx7 owners run it, especially with the datalogit. the datalogit has saved me many times and its priceless.

like i said, he has those upgrades, so there is also a reason he owns that powerfc. fd's dont respond well to just bolting things on. the tune is sensitive on the stock ecu

killer240
01-25-2013, 11:15 PM
No, I am not a member in any RX7 forums and will not be one unless I end up getting this car. I am still setting an appointment to check out the car in person. So far this is all I have.

killer240
01-25-2013, 11:20 PM
you should really consider all of that, if he has it for sale. HKS twin power is a must when you start boosting above 320whp-ish. the PFC is the most common upgrade and they are pretty cheap for FD, there are literally SO many maps available for you for every bolt on you get, there is a huge support for it, 90% of rx7 owners run it, especially with the datalogit. the datalogit has saved me many times and its priceless.

like i said, he has those upgrades, so there is also a reason he owns that powerfc. fd's dont respond well to just bolting things on. the tune is sensitive on the stock ecu

Yea I am surfing on the rx7 forums, and I did notice that most of them run the twin power and the PFC as well.

s13livin
01-25-2013, 11:46 PM
My good buddy has an R1 FD that i got him for a steal (fucker) and let me tell you if u want a reliable DD probably not the car for you, especially if you dont know about them, not bashing though just telling the truth.

killer240
01-25-2013, 11:52 PM
My good buddy has an R1 FD that i got him for a steal (fucker) and let me tell you if u want a reliable DD probably not the car for you, especially if you dont know about them, not bashing though just telling the truth.

Learning is not a problem:)

I didn't know anything about 240sx when I got mine and I tore it apart. I didn't know anything about cars until I used the WWW. I didn't know anything about anything before my mom popped me out.

s13livin
01-26-2013, 12:03 AM
Learning is not a problem:)

I didn't know anything about 240sx when I got mine and I tore it apart. I didn't know anything about cars until I used the WWW. I didn't know anything about anything before my mom popped me out.

Lol I hear you, car is truly amazing, at 80k might need a rebuild soon though.

killer240
01-26-2013, 12:20 AM
Lol I hear you, car is truly amazing, at 80k might need a rebuild soon though.

Yea, RX7 are amazing. I've ridden in my friends FD before and that is kind of why I thought about this when I saw it. If it will require a rebuild soon, I will rebuild it in factory specs.

UNITEDMASTER
01-26-2013, 01:17 AM
8g for that car is a good deal,if it really has all the oarts listed above & the motor is not on its death bed consider the fact that shells typucally go for 2200/3g depending on paper work,interior color,region location,chassis color. Full function mint condition stock FD with service records usually sell for high teens,13/15g,if its got mods that have been tastfully done by a reputable source16/ 18g easy,factor in that they are rare too :)

s13livin
01-26-2013, 02:13 AM
Yea, RX7 are amazing. I've ridden in my friends FD before and that is kind of why I thought about this when I saw it. If it will require a rebuild soon, I will rebuild it in factory specs.

just remember rotary is nothing like a ka or sr though

tek_88
01-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Hahah, that's my FD. The base maps are good for basic bolt-ons as long as you keep the boost in check. I run stock boost now and before I crashed my old FD the motor was pushing 310whp on 13psi on a conservative tune. Had major heat soak at the time because my vmount wasn't fully completed.

killer240
01-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Oh hey bud lol. Thursday after 5 right?

K_style
01-30-2013, 11:36 AM
$8k for that?? It's a very good price...

spooled240
01-30-2013, 12:08 PM
I got mine for 11,500 but it had a rebuilt motor and turbos with coils, wheels, bov, 99 tails, koyo rad and a lot of other little things. Since then I've put in quite a bit of work and money into it with gauges, basic maintenance and other things that it needed.

I think 8K is a good price for a complete running FD with a clean title and those mods. Even if the motor blew and it cost you 3 grand you would only be in it around 11K

LoneStarSilvia
01-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Agreed, $8k is a very reasonable price for the mods. However I would say RESEARCH, RESEARCH, and RESEARCH! RX7Club is brimming with information on just about anything you'll ever need to do to it. They also have used car buyer guides to give you rough idea on things to look for.

These are awesome cars that deserve the attention and dedication they demand.

killer240
01-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Yea I have looked up everything pretty much

sr20s14koukikid
01-30-2013, 02:19 PM
FDs are amazing cars but heard a lot of horror stories about DD them it takes a skilled driver to not get it to flood and maintain it healthy. But if I was you I would definitely go for it and spring the 8k for everything he's got to offer. Especially the power fc. Bump bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoneStarSilvia
01-31-2013, 03:29 AM
I will say it's not a bad idea to have a back up plan if you daily a FD, but I've daily'd mine for 1 1/2 years now with only 2 times getting stranded.

The first time the factory AST blew it's top like they're very well known to do. Luckily there was an Idemitsu right down the street and they helped me jerry rig it and fill it up with coolant to get me home. I already had an aluminum AST to replace it.

Second time, the damn heater core straight up busted. Dump coolant all in my passenger footwell. All I did to fix that was bypass the heater core altogether since it's hot and muggy here 9 months out of the year.

Don't let the horror stories scare you off, your particular FD will be what you make of it. And flooding it? You damn near have to do it on purpose to flood it.

killer240
01-31-2013, 04:50 AM
I'm picking my nose as I'm reading this, no, seriously, I am. that's how much I don't care about horror stories about fd's. I mean these cars are old, stuff like that are expected, and there is no such thing as perfect car, but longevity, yes maybe some fd parts are poorly made. But that also depend on the owner. Like I said, I need it or DD, no abusing the motor.

I appreciate the heads up though.
I'm just really tired driving my current dd, and everything is slowly breaking down that's just not worth fixing. Also the fact that I need to smog the car soon to renew the registration, yeah.. I mean I can make it pass smog, but I'm just done with it.

BarrigaS14
02-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Get it, then throw a V8 when, not if, the engine goes.

I love the FD, but never as a daily...

OrangeVirus1
02-01-2013, 03:12 PM
why would you buy it when you said yourself the engine is below rebuild spec?

spooled240
02-01-2013, 04:11 PM
I'm picking my nose as I'm reading this, no, seriously, I am. that's how much I don't care about horror stories about fd's. I mean these cars are old, stuff like that are expected, and there is no such thing as perfect car, but longevity, yes maybe some fd parts are poorly made. But that also depend on the owner. Like I said, I need it or DD, no abusing the motor.

believe it or not, it's actually recommended you redline the rotary engine often as it good for freeing up carbon deposits that tend to seize apex seals on motors that are rarely revved.

OrangeVirus1
02-01-2013, 10:47 PM
you want your rotary to last, another thing you can do is add some 2 stroke oil to your fuel every once in a while. I heard that it really helps. not sure if it will clog the injectors over time though

HyperTek
02-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Sexy car, but to daily an rx7, you better learn them quick, and have money to upkeep it, and be patient when you drive. Mine blew and I don't have the funds to get it back up right now.

HyperTek
02-02-2013, 01:41 PM
btw, 8k is real cheap/mad steal for an FD..