PDA

View Full Version : Clutch needs replacing?

Ninjamasta04
01-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Hey guys. It's hard to put it on 1st gear when the engine is cold, I had to slide into 2nd then 1st gear. After that when I slowly release the clutch pedal, I hear this grinding sound ,metal to metal grinding, like when your brake pedal is done.

It was even worse last weekend after I was drifting in the parking lot, sounds like a frieght train trying to to stop on the tracks. The car was barely moving forward, as I struggle to get home. It wont grind past a decent 30mph, but if I had to stop, here comes the frieght train. And today I tried driving it around my house, wasn't that loud but I could still hear it sometimes, very faint sound.

I was thinking that I should really change out the clutch asap, or is it something else?

I have a S13 SR, stock transmission with B&M shifter, changed out the hard clutch lines with braided steel lines. Should I get a new slave cyclinder too while I'm at it?

Mikester
01-22-2013, 10:56 AM
The grinding sound could very well be the pilot bushing... and hard to get into gear could easily be the clutch crapping on you- especially if you drift it. Great time to take it all apart & see what's going on in there. If the pedal isn't muchy & there is no leaks in the system, your MC/slave are most likely fine.

Change clutch, pilot bushing sleeve & bearing & you should be okay. Also, a great time to get a better pivot ball.

Ninjamasta04
01-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Thx will do when the parts arrive.

Brandon_ka24de
01-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Also good to check like the throwout all of that down there is probally needing replace. Each case ive ran into clutch goes or throwout goes or pilot bearing goes. And the others are rigbt behind it. So id go and get a full clutch kit except the flywheel and replace clutch if looks bad, pilot bearing, and throwout usually come with the clutch.