PDA

View Full Version : what motorcycle?

crioten
04-01-2004, 12:24 AM
im thinking about getting a motorcycle soon and was wondering what i could get for like $2-3k in good condition, and used of course...i dont know that much about motorcycles. id like to get into them, but i dont want to waste an ass load of money if i dont like them...

it can be either a crotch rocket or the good old fasioned ones...

please post your prefrences, pics, and what they go for...

thanks in advance
-glen

TheSnail
04-01-2004, 12:32 AM
I can get you a 1996 ninja 7r for 2 g's. I drove it and I about 3 months ago and almost killed myself, It was the fastest bike of its era. Its lime green, and a very good deal if you ask anyone who knows about bikes.

crioten
04-01-2004, 12:43 AM
well, right now i dont have the money yet, that why im looking at them still, but thanks anyway...when i get the money ill talk to you to see if its still around and all that...

TheSnail
04-01-2004, 01:09 AM
The bike just sits at the shop, the owner is not really trying to sell it, instead it just sit at the shop unregisterd collecting dust, It will probably be there for a couple of months.

AutoDestruct
04-01-2004, 11:56 AM
how old are you? For me to get a 600cc 2000 and up crotch rocket it would be close to 3.5K a year, for insurance. After I turn 25 it could be as low as 400 dollars a year for non-primary mode of transportation with less tha 10K turned on the Odometer a year. It's not about if you could afford the bike it's the insurance.

Crotch rockets are track machines that are liscensed for the street. they are uncomfortable, highly strung, Money draining, death dealers of speed. While I recognize their appeal i would rather have something with a slightly more relaxed position. Like a FZ-1 or FZ-6, ZX-12/11, SV650, or Honda 599. The FZ6 would be my choice at the moment.

You can die in a split second on a bike, and you can go fast a lot easier than you can slow down. A Open class Crotch rocket, or even a modern day 600cc Super Sport can turn into a out of control missle if driven like they are meant to on the street instead of the track. I would rather have a bike that I was comfortable and content with at the more sane and reasonable pace of the street and country roads. Sports bikes need to go fast to stay in the power band of the engine where the torque and horespower work in harmony with the gearing. Make a comprimise on the looks in the name of saftey and longeviety of yourself and your bike.

The ad's in the paper are always full of open class bikes with low mileage because people buy them on a whim or for mistaken abilities of there own skills. They get caught out and dump it or they just plain scare the sh*t out their selves and that's that. And they sell at a loss of all their riding gear and a couple thousand for the mileage or plastic on the bike. You just can't slam on the brakes and let ABS do the rest if you miss the apex or come off the highway onto the ramp to fast.

Bikes are scary fast, think long and hard. I personally have ridden since I was 10 and rode my last streetbike in 99 and I did not wreck or get my liscense taken. I just knew it was time to stop, there comes a time when luck runs out. My days of my head being tucked behind a windscreen and my chin resting on the "gas tank" of crotch rocket are over. My next bike I will be sitting up straight(er) and It will not be my only mode of transportation.

Good luck. Auto.

element240
04-01-2004, 12:02 PM
good stuff AutoDestruct...
make sure you're ready to handle a bike before you buy one.

oh yea, and uh, i wanted a pocket bike (mini crotch rocket) those things run around $400 for the cheap ones on ebay :naughty:

AutoDestruct
04-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Yeah like you said, make sure your ready. Example #1: Me. I am not ready for a 400 pound object that has 20 more horses than my car.:) Can you believe they have Nitrous on Turbo'd Hayabusa's?(300+hp) That's like that Viper Motorcycle. Completly out of reason or sane control. I'm startin to get into the trick harley customs now. It's sad. But I'll be doing all my 60+ MPH moving on something with 4 wheels at the moment, thank you very much. :)

crioten
04-01-2004, 01:39 PM
wow, thanks for the advice...the insurance money wont really be a problem since ill be joining the army later this year...

i think ill just get some kind of cruiser to learn on, and of course ill be taking all the safety classes, and even some of the race classes before i buy a sports bike...i got a quote from progressive on a 2003 yzf-r6 for $1,500 a year, and im 18 right now (i only did it just to see what insurance would be on that since i like that bike a lot)

any sugestions on cruiser type bikes? im not really interested in going THAT fast, but i would like something that is still fun to ride...ive riden bikes before (i used to have a dirt bike and an atv) but they still arent the same as a road bike...

TheSnail
04-01-2004, 02:31 PM
I went to the ducati store to day and about crapped on myself when I saw a limited edition 998 (Matrix Ed.). I asked how much (thinking mid 20's) the guy told me 15,600 I was like crap ! So I talked their finacial lady and took a application. If I get that thing, I will probably put on a leather coat and shades and pretend I am Morphius drive around town all day having to pass certine check points in limited time, or the evil guys win. Something like that, anyways, I might sell my car to use it as the down payment.

Var
04-01-2004, 02:49 PM
DONT get full coverage on a bike. I was 20 when i bought my 1996 fzr 600, and my liability insurance cost me 110 bucks A YEAR! buying full coverage is like paying the cost of your bike once every two years. You learn to be resourceful when you ride. You'll buy plastics and other parts off ebay when you crash. It's not even worth claiming half the shit to insurance. It would be better to get medical insurance rather than bike insurance. And for 2-3 grand i'd say Honda F3 for a sportsbike, or maybe put another grand on top of that and get an early R6(1998). whatever you get be careful..im done riding on the streets.

crioten
04-01-2004, 04:26 PM
yeah, i really like the r6, and i think ill end up getting one of those sometime

-glen

VEX240
04-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Just sold my 93 GSXR 750 today for $2900 with 28K miles hahaha. Dont be scared to get a sportbike. You just have to remember to ride within your limits and respect the bike. You can hurt yourself on a cruiser bike just as easy as a sportbike. My first bike was a 01 Gsxr 750 then two months later traded a friend for an 01 R1, now I have an 00 ZX 12R. I think its kind of bogus how sportbikes get nailed for being so dangerous when all bikes are dangerous.

Here's what I sold and what I have.

Var
04-01-2004, 05:47 PM
lol extended swingarm.. you a drag racer?

VEX240
04-01-2004, 06:01 PM
On that I am

TheSnail
04-01-2004, 06:23 PM
I just want a country moutain road, early morning(little bit of fog-68deg) A clean Ducati with fresh sticky tires, driving at an nice pace, not to fast, just enjoyable. mmm...

VEX240
04-01-2004, 06:24 PM
man that sound relaxing, almost poetic