PDA

View Full Version : s14 drivers side window will not go up or down. What should I replace?

M374llic4
01-21-2013, 07:28 AM
When I got my s14 a few weeks ago it was obviously having issue going up and down. It was much slower then the passenger side window. Over the last few weeks it would get slower and slower. The other night I was putting the window up and had to try and use my hand to help pull up for it to go, but now it got stuck at about an inch away from being closed. When I pressed the button it would click real loud and that is all.

I took off the door panel and found out it was a white box attached to the door that was clicking (a relay?). I thought relays either worked or didn't, so is the issue the actual motor that drives the window? Does anyone know a cheap place to get the replacement parts I may need?

Thanks,
Dan

JohnnyV
01-21-2013, 12:35 PM
I had the same problem not too long ago. Its best just to replace the whole window motor. You can pick one up at the junkyard for around $40.
Should take you no longer than 30-45 min to replace.
Hope this helps
( make sure the motor is in down position before removing the window)

Tkoppab
01-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Only two things, the motor or the relay, relays can come off another S14, the infiniti G20's as well. Thats where I have got mine from. Also while you have it all out, grease up those rails on the regulator to help you out. If you cant find one let me know I have some relays and a motor for ya. just pm me

Croustibat
01-22-2013, 07:03 AM
If it clicks, it is not the relay.

Every electric window have a common problem : users never clean and lube the window guides, leading the electric motors to force as the windows get more and more stuck, and then burn.

You need the whole assembly, no one sells the motor only. That and clean windows guide AND get the window perfectly aligned, or it will force again and burn the motor again.

fliprayzin240sx
01-23-2013, 08:08 PM
If its a 95, try changing the power window amp first.

M374llic4
01-24-2013, 09:16 AM

Does the one from the passenger side work for drivers side?

marks14
01-24-2013, 10:13 AM

^this, I've seem one of the solder connections that goes to the plug to be broken. All you have to do is re solder the connection to fix the issue. Take the window amp apart and inspect all the solder points. You did say it happened over time so it may not be the connection, but it's worth a try.

Tkoppab
01-24-2013, 11:00 AM
I would just replace the amp, go to your local junkyard and grab one off an infiniti, I know a bunch of them have them, specially the G20 like ive said, ive done it for mine before. Easiest thing to get changed to see if it solves your problem. If not, then its your motor. I had the same issues with my brothers car... changed the amp, nothing, and I had tested it on my own car first, so I know the amp was good. went ahead and changed the motor, everything worked. Did the same on my car when they went bad.

fliprayzin240sx
01-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Does the one from the passenger side work for drivers side?

You can't, theres only one amp and its only in the driver side. Passenger side is controlled by the driver side switch and doesnt have an amp on that side.

Rustys14
01-25-2013, 04:07 PM
+1 for changing out the window amp first although it sounds like it could be window motor going bad. Just grab both while you are at the junkyard since the amp is notorious for going bad. You can take the amp from any s13, s14 or Infinity G20 that has power windows but I think the window motor itself is chassis specific. I had the same problem with my s14 a year or two ago and it ended up being window motor but I'm glad I grabed a bunch of window amps at the junkyard since I have had to replace it in every other 240 that I have owned since then.

Tkoppab
01-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Any luck in getting it fixed?