PDA

View Full Version : Detachable Faceplates - Do they really work?

Corbic
01-13-2013, 11:52 AM
I've always hated detachable face plates on car stereos. They feel flimsy and creak and I see no real benefit to them. I've always been told it was a theft deterrent, however, how much deterrent is it really?

I know in HS I used to take the plate off... and stick it in the glovebox. I'm sure 90% of people that pull the plate also leave it in the car, who wants to cary it around all day?

After HS it just became to much of a pain and I stopped screwing with it.

Thoughts?

silverarrow27
01-13-2013, 12:08 PM
I was those 10% that actually took the face with me just like my detachable steering wheel. I'll go shopping and to the movies with my steering wheel and face plate if I had to.

So what's the point of installing a detachable steering wheel if you're going to leave it in the car?

ghoti
01-13-2013, 12:14 PM
How about a Nakamichi headunit?

Popular OEM looking headunits for NA Miatas and oldschool VWs

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/09.jpg

http://www.itrsport.com/modpages/images/audio/1_640.jpg

Corbic
01-13-2013, 12:20 PM
So what's the point of installing a detachable steering wheel if you're going to leave it in the car?

Race car.

In a "real" race car the seat does not have sliders. It's bolted in position for the driver. The wheel detaches so the driver can get in and out of the car. Proper wheel distance is very close to the driver chest. This is so his arms are not over stretched, getting tired after hours of driving.

Corbic
01-13-2013, 12:21 PM
How about a Nakamichi headunit?

Popular OEM looking headunits for NA Miatas and oldschool VWs

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/09.jpg

http://www.itrsport.com/modpages/images/audio/1_640.jpg

I'm looking for an old school MD head unit. Those Nakamichi's are cool. Very pricy for the features however, I'm curious how well they sound.

fliprayzin240sx
01-13-2013, 01:11 PM
They only work if you use them how they're intended. Take the face off and take them with you, NOT LEAVE THEM IN THE CAR. Most thief would check your fucking glove box for stuff anyways, you'd be surprised how many people leave their wallets and check books inside the glove box.

No 240.. No id
01-13-2013, 01:22 PM
This is the best right here!!!! Works good on my old car
Dummy in Toys & Hobbies | eBay (http://shop.mobileweb.ebay.com/searchresults;PdsSession=3591a1da13c0a5abe8f71617f ff9ac2e?kw=Dummy+detachable+stereo+face&cmd=SREF&fads=All&call=All&sort=BestMatch&mfs=SBCLK&acimp=0&isNewKw=true)

It should cover your 1 din radio and w.e you got in the pocket.
And more

http://shop.mobileweb.ebay.com/searchresults?cmd=SREF&pg=1&back=1&kw=Dummy%20detachable&fads=All&sort=BestMatch

Matej
01-13-2013, 01:39 PM
I was those 10% that actually took the face with me just like my detachable steering wheel. I'll go shopping and to the movies with my steering wheel and face plate if I had to.
That sounds embarrassing.
I would rather have my steering wheel stolen.

turtle*
01-13-2013, 02:54 PM

Its more like your whole car. But then again if people was going to steal your car, I figure they would bring a spare steering wheel that can be mounted.

silverarrow27
01-13-2013, 06:08 PM

LOL, I can care less if it looks embarrassing or not. At least I know when I come back to my car it's still there.

Its more like your whole car. But then again if people was going to steal your car, I figure they would bring a spare steering wheel that can be mounted.

There are hub kits available that not any spare steering wheel can be mounted.

Corbic
01-13-2013, 06:25 PM
LOL, I can care less if it looks embarrassing or not. At least I know when I come back to my car it's still there.

There are hub kits available that not any spare steering wheel can be mounted.

A real Pro will have a tow-truck, write up some phony papers real quick and haul your car off. If he gets stopped he'll just show the papers saying he got a call from a collection agency to tow the car.

wanadrift
01-13-2013, 06:25 PM
How exactly is it embarrassing?

Corbic
01-13-2013, 06:27 PM

Because most grown men don't strut around the mall carrying a car steering wheel.

wanadrift
01-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Because most grown men to strut around the mall carrying a car steering wheel.

I guess I'm just not easily embarrassed. I don't see why anyone would care if you walked around with a steering wheel and even if they did it's none of their business anyways lol.

FaLKoN240
01-13-2013, 08:38 PM
On topic:

I had a removable faceplate for an Alpine deck about 7 years ago, I took the face off and put it in the center console. I went to a night club.

When I came out my passenger side window was broken, and anything that wasn't bolted to the car (including my ashtray) was stolen. Glovebox was empty, trunk was empty.

The only thing they left was the books in my school bag. Presumably because they used the bag to haul off the goods.

They took the FACEPLATE to the deck, but not the actual unit. :duh:

It's embarrassing because it screams attention whore and like you're really trying to protect your 20 year old Nissan from being stolen.

Anyone outside of the car scene will just think you're an idiot for wasting money on a car that old.

usdm180sx
01-13-2013, 08:42 PM
It seems that people steal the cars and not the radios these days. Tell me if I am wrong

Matej
01-13-2013, 09:26 PM
http://images3.cinema.de/imedia/7242/2397242,vADbWDL43NRAF3Y53Z1Pp1Z76LkGhMHep_p_6W7601 FwpWgi6UYEvgJgPeOS3+TzP7qqwCcLyODdR79920XjOw==.jpg

Kuma
01-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Removable faces work for people who use them... Even taking it off and putting it out of site slightly reduces the chance. Probably doesn't matter either way unless you have a double din.

As for the steering wheel... You know what's more efficient and doesn't make you look retarded carrying a steering wheel around? Fuel cut off switch and an alarm that alerts your cell phone.

sw20>>s14
01-14-2013, 11:09 AM
On the flip side, I'm temporarily living in a less than desirable neighborhood and detach my quick release when parking overnight. I always wonder if the residents/neighbors think I just stole a steering wheel out of a car when I make my way back to the house. But other than that, holding a wheel when out seems pretty retarded for an adult.

As for the face plate, when I'm lazy I detach it and place it in the side map pockets. It's not so much for the deck's sake, but my window's sake. I could care less if they steal my deck, my main intention is to avoid getting the windows smashed with the presence of a deck in plain sight.

I think of it as the same as relocating clothing or expensive jackets to the trunk. If you really cared, you'd carry it with you or wear it, but anything is better than just leaving it in plain view. I'd be more pissed about my windows than a jacket anyway. Same goes for my deck.

HyperTek
01-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Back in 02 I had one of those Sony blackface stereos, I was in highschool and I thought it was badass, so I asked my dad to get it for me as a gift. It was the one that had the graphics side, than you flip the button to show the face. It was cool.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/445/3101/1111550002_medium.jpg
Sadly it got stolen in college along with them ripping out the speakers. Now I always rock detachable faces and try to rock hidden upgraded speakers in stock speaker grills.
Law needs to cut off thieves hands forreal.

K_style
01-14-2013, 12:01 PM
I got my shit stolen without the Face. So I either got cheapest head unit or got better alarm unit.

BoostSlideWayz
01-14-2013, 12:30 PM
I dont like them much really.. We have one in the family truck, but i mean we really only took the faceplate with us when we first got it. The first year we took it with us everywhere. After that just let it sit in the truck because we simply got tired of taking it off every single time we parked...

In my car, i have a JVC touch screen and i love it. I love being able to watch dvd's and just tons of other stuff...

Then again i dont live in an area that has a high break in rate. I live in an area where you can literally leave you car unlocked all night and even know some people up here that leave the keys in the ignition of their vehicle nearly year round.

Ive i moved back in L.A. , i would get a very serious alarm system and have an eye on my car at all times ahah.

Corbic
01-14-2013, 04:52 PM
I got my shit stolen without the Face. So I either got cheapest head unit or got better alarm unit.

You see a ton of faceplates for sale on ebay and craigslist. I can't help but think people just steel the plates all the time because it's easy.

silverarrow27
01-14-2013, 05:01 PM
I guess I'm just not easily embarrassed. I don't see why anyone would care if you walked around with a steering wheel and even if they did it's none of their business anyways lol.

Exactly, I didn't know my image was so important to random strangers. Has anyone heard of a backpack?

And who's gonna know if I'm trying to prevent my 20 yr old Nissan from getting stolen or is it my Ferrari/Lambo? Hey, if you don't care about your 20 yr old Nissan, sign the pink slip over anytime cash-free :rolleyes:

Back to the topic though, what's the point of buying a detachable face, but leaving it in the car? The only way it's going to work is if you actually take it with you.

Another example, you don't want anyone to be able to log into your computer/laptop but you have the password taped or written under the keyboard or onto your monitor. How's that going to prevent anyone from logging into your device? Same answer, you don't leave it with the device. Just beats the whole purpose of having a password or in your case a detachable face.

I guess you can leave the face in the car, just put a 200 lb safe in the trunk of your car.

blueshark123
01-15-2013, 07:31 AM
When my car got stolen all they took was the face lol. Also I will never be caught walking around with a steering wheel. I would just create a way to lock it in the trunk with something

TougeLove
01-15-2013, 05:06 PM
1. Acquire and install tablet
2. Remove tablet when you are not in car.
3. Thieves see empty slot and leave your car alone.
4. ?????
5. Profit.

some good info over @ nasioc http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2389956

Corbic
01-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Exactly, I didn't know my image was so important to random strangers. Has anyone heard of a backpack?

Yeah, hikers and school kids use them. Adults use breif cases and mine is filked with work.

Back packs also wrinkle your clothes and are not welcome... well anywhere. Fuck my high school banned them thanks to Columbine.

K_style
01-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Screw this non-sense detachable face plate head unit. Most are suck anyways.

I have a solution. Which I am following my self quite often.

1. Park the car where it's safe location. (Garage, if you don't have one then too bad)
2. Don't leave your car unattended for a long period time.
3. Live in better neighborhood. (Some thieves target nicer neighborhood but I meant F away from LA in example)
4. Don't have flash stuff on your car that you worry about getting shit stolen.
5. If your shit gets stolen, sue the property that your car was in regardless of their sign saying they are not responsible for the loss. I am sure they will come up with some rewards.

How is that?

Corbic
01-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Screw this non-sense detachable face plate head unit. Most are suck anyways.

I have a solution. Which I am following my self quite often.

1. Park the car where it's safe location. (Garage, if you don't have one then too bad)
2. Don't leave your car unattended for a long period time.
3. Live in better neighborhood. (Some thieves target nicer neighborhood but I meant F away from LA in example)
4. Don't have flash stuff on your car that you worry about getting shit stolen.
5. If your shit gets stolen, sue the property that your car was in regardless of their sign saying they are not responsible for the loss. I am sure they will come up with some rewards.

How is that?

I'm not really worried about it. I just think detachable are stupid as shit and I really doubt they have done anything to curb stereo theft and car break ins.

ghoti
01-15-2013, 06:22 PM
... stupid as shit and I really doubt they have done anything to curb stereo theft and car break ins.

Its one of those gimmicks to give people Peace of Mind. There has been many along the years.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lav21he5hQ1qz7vh5o1_500.png

http://media.kval.com/images/stock_the_club.jpg

https://www.nexternal.com/winnerintl/images/club_pedal-wheel_demo3.jpg

http://www.enjukuracing.com/product_images/a/293/WB-qr-lock__11775_std__47114_zoom.jpg

Matej
01-15-2013, 07:11 PM
When the unlikely event of me having to abandon my car occurs, I detach my wheels and push them around with a stick wherever I chance to venture.

http://irony.cc/gallery3/var/albums/original/hooproll.jpg

Corbic
01-16-2013, 08:25 AM
If you still have those works emitz I think you have, I'd be carrying them around the mall....

Banana_Cute
01-16-2013, 11:42 AM
I'd carry my steering wheel to the mall, but I'd have a backpack with me. or quick to shop and get a big bag. Just a thought, you never know who's watching. Could be the thieves allies lookin out when you're cmin back or what not. LOL..

but yeah. I got a friend who got his car broken into, he left his steering wheel in the trunk of his car and they took that. I got a late call that night asking if he can borrow mine since we have the same hub. How the fuck was I suppose to get there and back. So he had to get his car towed home cuz he was too much of a pussy to drive without a steering wheel through side streets.

Banana_Cute
01-16-2013, 11:44 AM
not to mention I have clutch lock and kill switches.

but back to topic. I never take my unit face with me. I'll leave it under the seat.