PDA

View Full Version : Stock ignition for turbo???

BTL_nissan
01-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Hey guys,
Build is starting to come together and I still have ignition questions I can't seem to find answers to.

First of all I'm going ka-t with 9:1 cr wiseco pistons, eagle rods, ported head with super tech valve train, all new oem gaskets blah blah, 550 inj, top mount 60 trim Garrett turbo... My power goals around around 350hp as of now.

My question is, will the stock ignition on the ka handle 350 hp? I've read and searched for days, one guy says upgrade to msd blaster coil and the next guy says stock is best, I do know that the voltage output of the msd blaster is around 40k.

Please help me guys!

rcdad123
01-13-2013, 11:21 AM
stock ignition can handle boost, just lower the spark plug gap. people say .028, i had mine set at .015 and it did not misfire at 360 whp. of course you will make more power with an amplified ignition like MSD or CRANE. plus with an ignition amplifier, you can actually gap the plugs bigger and make more power, up to a certain amount of boost. the amount of boost you want/need to make 350 whp will probabaly be around 16 psi. with that kind of boost, the spark will really have a hard time jumping the gap on the plugs.

BTL_nissan
01-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Finally some usable information, so would the msd blaster coil alone suffice? My car didn't come with a coil so I'll have to get one regaurdless, being I work at the parts house I can actually get the msd cheap than the oem hitachi/Mitsubishi replacement. Also I've heard of "running a colder plug" is this nonsense or something else I should look into? Sorry for my ignorance but I've just recently moved up from the honda world and ignition is actually the best thing on a honda lol, I just really don't won't to destroy a build over a damn coil.

And thanks a ton for the reply

Memberofthe600hpkaclub
01-13-2013, 07:27 PM
What are you running for tuning

rcdad123
01-13-2013, 07:36 PM
i don`t know if the Blaster coil is any better than the stock one, but an amplifier like the MSD 6AL would definitely make your ignition system more than up to the task of keeping your engine from ignition misfires. yes, colder spark plugs are recommended, i used NGK BKR 7Es on most turbo and nitrous engines i had/built. stock ones i believe are in the 5 heat range, so 7s are 2 steps colder. i seen as high as 9s on high horsepower applications. also, you would need an MSD tach adapter to make the 6AL work.

AsleepAltima
01-13-2013, 07:51 PM
i dont understand why people think different things for different engines... i can understand the ignition coil question, but colder plugs are something that everyone in the tuning world should know about. lots of people run the stock ignition systems, but like the above people stated - youll probably be playing with the gaps to get the most out of it.

Memberofthe600hpkaclub
01-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Either way stock ignition will work just fine for 350hp just play with the gap and heat range and you will be ok

BTL_nissan
01-13-2013, 09:06 PM
As for tuning I'm getting a basemap from specialty Z for break in (low boost), I will then get what's needed for the dyne tune, like I said before I'm new to nissans so still have a lot of research to do in regards to stand alone systems, Ido however know that I won't be able to get a $400 hondata :/

And again thanks for the patience and for not hating on me to the point I find myself changing forums. Staying loyal to zilvia lol

AsleepAltima
01-13-2013, 09:09 PM
oh... if youre gonna be here at zilvia - better grow some thick skin! lol

Memberofthe600hpkaclub
01-14-2013, 07:39 AM
As for tuning I'm getting a basemap from specialty Z for break in (low boost), I will then get what's needed for the dyne tune, like I said before I'm new to nissans so still have a lot of research to do in regards to stand alone systems, Ido however know that I won't be able to get a $400 hondata :/

And again thanks for the patience and for not hating on me to the point I find myself changing forums. Staying loyal to zilvia lol

Getting a base map on what? Tune ecu? Mega squirt? Aem? Etc a lot of the stand alone systems allow you to run coils which is what I'm doing but I'm a tad over your hp goals as well lol