PDA

View Full Version : Raceland Coils

EnvyS13
01-12-2013, 01:27 PM
http://www.racelandus.com/nissan-s13-240sx-coilovers.html

First and foremost, I know that the topic of cheap coilovers has been covered time and time again, and I know that the new 240sx raceland coils are not going to a "quality" product. However, I have yet to hear about anyone with personal experience with these coils in an s-chassis.

My first question is; does anyone have any personal exerience with these coils IN A 240, I'm not interested if you've ridden them in an e36 or vw.

My second question is; do they ride like a $450 dollar coilover or are the comprable to Megan's or any of the other cheap coils out there.

I know the smart route would be to save up and get some quality coils like stance or pbm's but I'm a cheap bastard/broke college kid and am always looking for the cheapest option thats not going to break my back or snap off the car and be at least a decent upgrade in performance.

Bambi
01-12-2013, 01:40 PM
If you're a cheap bastard/broke college kid then why not just get some sway bars and good AGX's or Bilstines with swift, H&R, or any real quality spring. They'll ride better and last longer.

I haven't even heard anything good about RaceLands from any car in general. But then again if getting mad tyt l0w is all you want and not a functional and solid suspension setup then be my guest and cheap out on your coils/suspension despite knowing you shouldn't. Don't get cheap coilovers just to know/say you have coilovers.

EnvyS13
01-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I have considered a solid shock/spring setup, but like I said I just havent seen any reviews or opinions on the coils on an s-chassis and was curious if anyone has some light to shed.

MedHat240sx
01-12-2013, 02:08 PM
i had a buddy of mine who bought these for his VW GTI and they were fucking stiff. They were actually pretty decent quality for what he payed. They also went stuiped low. there good coilovers.

2muchboost
01-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Had them on my golf...great quality for the price but stiff. The GF hated taking my car because she said "my teeth chatter and your car sounds like its going to break apart whenever you hit a bump" lol. She's such a girl.

And those bad boys do go very low.

Bambi
01-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I have considered a solid shock/spring setup, but like I said I just havent seen any reviews or opinions on the coils on an s-chassis and was curious if anyone has some light to shed.

Fair enough, I just advise you don't jump on getting coilovers (more so these racelands) so quickly. ESPECIALLY if you plan on actually getting good coilovers some day and going as far as properly taking your car to get corner balanced. So far from just the two posts after my first one the coils will get you pretty low but will give you a really stiff ride. But nothing else is mentioned..?

If low is really just what you want I'm not going to insult you or anything, I understand that's all that most people car about now, then just go with the raceland's. Or cut springs because that's what they sound like.

Or save up for good coilovers while you rock a fresh shock/spring setup.

rcdad123
01-12-2013, 03:44 PM
ok, racelands are less than $500. that is a complete coil over set up. a set of lowering springs are about 200 bucks and a set of decent shock absorbers will cost around 320 dollars. so that is 20 bucks more than the racelands, which comes with adjustable upper strut mounts. the shocks and springs combo don`t. so raceland coil overs are way cheaper than shock/springs combo. i paid more than $400 for my tokico shocks and springs combo. it`s a good set up other than they are too long for my liking. a friend had racelands on his s14 and he said the damping gets soft after a few minutes of driving. im guessing the shock oil gets thin when it gets hot.

hmongs13
01-12-2013, 05:54 PM
they are good for their price..i have couple buddy have them on their miata and vw...super low and ride are good...

Sileighty_85
01-12-2013, 06:11 PM
WOW This Thread AGAIN!

This is the 5th thread on these fucking things in the past couple of months asking the exact same question.

Search.

MtnGoat
01-13-2013, 01:48 AM
I had Racelands on my miata. No complaints.

codyace
01-13-2013, 09:43 AM
With anything in life, you need to consider why something is so cheap. Consider the following,

does:
salisbury steak taste like prime rib? no
pleather feel like leather? nada
storebrand orange juice taste like fresh squeezed? never
Georgi taste like Goose? nope
a cheap no name tire perform like a R compound? not at all

In all those examples, you can find 'acceptable' taste or performance in the lesser, but you immediately know the better choice. Often times the lesser choice is even more popular (cheaper, easier to have, etc etc),but at the same time you always know when you're eating boxed steak, that it's not same thing you can get from the meat market.

....so why is it that when people are looking at coilovers that they are always hope that the cheapest thing they can find on ebay can perform even as well as the traditional entry level product? I mean it's like asking for a burger from McDonalds, but somehow thinking it will be as good as one that costs 2 dollars more at the local pub. It never will be, no matter which way you slice it.

Cliffs: It's a 450 dollar coilover, and priced that way for a reason. They are not 700 for a reason, they are not 1200 for a reason, they are not 2000 for a reason.

Akito86
01-14-2013, 12:48 PM
ばか!! Foolish noob! Why you make more useless thread!

EnvyS13
01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
This is the second thread about raceland coils on zilvia, according to the search, and was started because the first did not answer my question.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Sounds like they are pretty reasonable if anyone is just trying to lay frame.

Still looking for someone who personally has them on their 240 or from someone who has some time in a friend's car or something along those lines.

chris_240sx
01-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Had a friend that put them on his Tc. The ride wasn't anything to brag about, but it wasn't as bad as I expected for how cheap they were ( I think he paid 250 ). They did go pretty low on his car, low enough to tuck 18's anyway. If I remember right, they blew after about 9 months or so. This was a couple years ago, so maybe they have improved their product a little. As others have said, I think waiting a little longer and getting something higher quality will be more rewarding.

codyace
01-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Still looking for someone who personally has them on their 240 or from someone who has some time in a friend's car or something along those lines.

What does the car make a difference in regard to how they ride? They are junk on VW they are junk on Honda's and they are junk on Subaru's too. It's not like they found the magic formula to be junk on Nissans ya know? There isn't any significant difference in their function. They slam your car, and cost less than springs and struts. That's two positives about them.

With that said, there isn't anything out there that's sub 1000 bucks that's going to have ANY sort of decent lifespan if the car is battleship earth slammed, so if your goal is to just drop the thing (which it is when you're even looking at racelands) just keep it in mind that they will be more prone to blowing out than at normal height. Racelands have their place just like high end stuff does. As in my example, some people are content with eating Salisbury steak, but for a few quarters more I'd rather get a real steak and enjoy it.

FWIW: I'm trying to be as objective as possible. I know it may sound like I'm some suspension dickhead (will I am to a degree I guess), but I know racelands at least work (well so would wooden poles) and they will dump your car. With that said I've got enough VW buddies who had them, enjoyed them, ruined them, and then got somewhat decent stuff, and never looked back. It's not my car, I'd rather not have 2 dollar POS ride quality if I can avoid it ya know? To me if you can't afford the traditional entry level (Fortune, Stance, Megan) stuff, then you shouldnt' be modding *any* car, as it's a quick way to nickle and dime yourself to death

Syncade
01-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Just buy them. They're crap. Obviously you are alright with buying crap. Just buy the crap?

EnvyS13
01-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Just buy them. They're crap. Obviously you are alright with buying crap. Just buy the crap?

Wow, thank you so much for the informative and helpful post.

bataangpinoy
01-18-2013, 07:49 PM
i had a buddy of mine who bought these for his VW GTI and they were fucking stiff. They were actually pretty decent quality for what he payed. They also went stuiped low. there good coilovers.

first off, let me correct your spelling/grammar.

*Stupid
*They're

Second, if you compared the ride quality to riding on wood blocks, maybe then would i say that raceland's were ok.

stiff and low does not necessarily equate to having a good suspension.

Op, save your money and spring for feals... i didnt and now wish i did.

xoxide
01-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Wow, thank you so much for the informative and helpful post.
Actually, he probably posted the most helpful reply in this thread... You said it yourself, you are a cheap bastard. So why not just buy the coilovers you obviously want and let us know how long they last you.

Being a broke college kid is not a valid excuse for buying shitty parts. Saving $500 dollars is no different than saving $1000 dollars, you'll have to wait a little longer to get your coilovers, but if you buy some decent quality coilovers (Fortune, PBM, BC, etc.) they are going to last you much longer, have better customer service, and you will be much happier with your purchase in the long run. Do it right the first time around, simple as that.

Lastly, 99% of the time, you arent paying for the item itself, you are paying for the customer service. Places like Fortune Auto, PBM, etc. back their products with a warranty, and will fix your coils if something goes wrong 9 times out of 10. Places like Isis, Godspeed, Emusa, Raceland (although I havent heard much of Raceland) will usually tell you that you are out of luck.

With that being said, go buy your cheap/shitty coilovers; and deal with the reprocussions as they come along. :rolleyes:

daily missile
01-18-2013, 10:26 PM
i have these coilovers. i personally didnt buy them, they were on my 240 when i bought it. my friend complains about them because he says they are bouncy.

dont go drive your 240 after eating out somewhere and getting full (applebees is where we always went and the ride after was terrible).

however, what i do like is that they are cheap if you personally have to buy them. they lower alot. and well, theyre just there. never thought too much about upgrading. the fronts have camber adjust.

i just daily and drift my car at events. they work good for that. but if youre going for that clean stance look the kids are doing, save for better

zooopreme
01-19-2013, 10:05 AM
i have these coilovers. i personally didnt buy them, they were on my 240 when i bought it. my friend complains about them because he says they are bouncy.

dont go drive your 240 after eating out somewhere and getting full (applebees is where we always went and the ride after was terrible).

however, what i do like is that they are cheap if you personally have to buy them. they lower alot. and well, theyre just there. never thought too much about upgrading. the fronts have camber adjust.

i just daily and drift my car at events. they work good for that. but if youre going for that clean stance look the kids are doing, save for better

Not trying to justify using lower brand coils but this guy needs to post some pics and quick. It's really not a valid review/opinion without proof.

I could've very well came into this thread and proclaimed this were the absolute best coils on the market PERIOD. And some poor herb would have believed me.

So do this thread a favor and post some pics. It'll help validate your opinion.

daily missile
01-22-2013, 05:45 PM
it can go lower. just couldnt in the pic cause front tires would rub.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/severepb/car%20projects/IMAG0302-1_zps6caaedd5.jpg

and could go lower than this too. i mean, this isnt low, but if you really wanted you could slam the shit out of it.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/severepb/car%20projects/IMAG0438_zpsfb9f6ba7.jpg

and then body roll isnt all too bad. they have a little travel.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/severepb/car%20projects/312086_272931012812919_1536764429_n_zpsbb13dd4e.jp g
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/severepb/car%20projects/391409_272927722813248_1246289182_n_zps0a6d12ef.jp g

xoxide
01-22-2013, 06:01 PM
What the fuck is up with your caster in the first pic? :eek:

daily missile
01-22-2013, 07:17 PM
What the fuck is up with your caster in the first pic? :eek:

herrrmmmm. dunno. guess its just the pic. maybe the wheel was turned a little bit