PDA

View Full Version : anyone else with problems of gas handle not staying in during pump?

kenshinS14sks
01-10-2013, 11:45 PM
95 240sx

so it happened for the first time a few months ago where I put the handle in stated the pump, locked the grip in place and walked away...only to hear the sound of metal hitting metal as the handle falls out of the gas filler hole.

I was pretty upset swearing to myself that I'd never return to that station...then it happened at another station (except this time I didn't walk away and just held the handle in place). now today I'm pumping gas, it stays in place but when it clicks to finish the handle falls out again spoiling gas on the qtr panel and floor $$$.

just wondering if anyone else has this problem and how it was solved

dawagarage
01-11-2013, 12:00 AM
lol you cant blame it on the station.
stop being lazy and hold it the entire time youre pumping.

kenshinS14sks
01-11-2013, 12:10 AM
you are no help good sir

shiftdrift
01-11-2013, 12:11 AM
i've never had the problem on my 97. ever. and i always walk away and let it pump.

jamg
01-11-2013, 12:11 AM
park it on the opposite side.

have the gas dispenser reach all the way across the car.

Martino
01-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Don't go to self serve pumps and have someone do it for you?
Is it really that much of a hassle to hold it for a whole 2 minutes lol.

mad-ass
01-11-2013, 01:34 AM
there is an actual fix to this, especially with S14's.

is the filler tube super loose? if so...there is your reason why it doesn't fill itself and clicks off.

do this.

Another top tip from yours truly today. If you own a S14 or two, you'll notice that your gas fill hole tube sags and sometimes it even stops the pump from filling up because it sags so low. So this is the fix. there is a hole below the filler cap already for "draining" purposes if you don't know how to properly take the filler off your car, drill that out to bigger hole and fit a 1" long 10mm bolt through it.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/62450_165450306803207_4598804_n.jpg

next step it to make a bracket, the bottom bolt hole is already there, it's the wider thread kind with plastic insert. Use the nissan 10mm bolt for that as well, and bend the bracket in such angle and put a lock washer and 10mm nut and tighten the bolt/nuts down. result? sturdy filler hole that doesn't sag. Top Tip of the day. Yours truly.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/62813_165450270136544_7635489_n.jpg

scotto
01-11-2013, 06:19 AM
The gas stations here aren't even allowed to use locking handles anymore because of people walking away and not paying attention, then spilling all over the ground. They are only allowed to use those on full serve pumps only.

s13rhdhatch
01-11-2013, 07:00 AM
it almost happen to me on my old hatch,but ive always been paranoid so i just stand outside holding it.

kenshinS14sks
01-11-2013, 07:40 PM
there is an actual fix to this, especially with S14's.

is the filler tube super loose? if so...there is your reason why it doesn't fill itself and clicks off.

do this.

Another top tip from yours truly today. If you own a S14 or two, you'll notice that your gas fill hole tube sags and sometimes it even stops the pump from filling up because it sags so low. So this is the fix. there is a hole below the filler cap already for "draining" purposes if you don't know how to properly take the filler off your car, drill that out to bigger hole and fit a 1" long 10mm bolt through it.

next step it to make a bracket, the bottom bolt hole is already there, it's the wider thread kind with plastic insert. Use the nissan 10mm bolt for that as well, and bend the bracket in such angle and put a lock washer and 10mm nut and tighten the bolt/nuts down. result? sturdy filler hole that doesn't sag. Top Tip of the day. Yours truly.

ok so that's the problem! thank you!

Jersthecool
01-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Never had the problem of it falling out but have had it keep filling as I'm holding it and it doesn't click off when it's supposed to then I pull it out and it shoots like 2 liters out everywhere because it's so pressurized.

cchondro
01-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Never had this problem
It does sometimes in the coupe of I stick the handle in to deep it'll click prematurely like its filled because it's getting a false reading
but that's it

omgRWDgoodness!
01-14-2013, 05:33 PM
park it on the opposite side.

have the gas dispenser reach all the way across the car.
No. Do not do this. Avoid making yourself look like the average retard driver.

Matej
01-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Get a pit crew.

Juantwo3
01-14-2013, 07:01 PM
you got to put it in all the way ;)