PDA

View Full Version : e46 question

DaveSev
01-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Driving right now to check out a car.

Great Lakes Chevrolet in Jefferson, OH serving Ashtabula and Conneaut (http://Www.greatlakeschevy.com) red 330ci.

Cant tell if it has the sports package - can anyone confirm?

I know this is taboo for a new forum poster but i would greatly greatly appreciate. Will explain my predicament later.

Eazy_tom
01-08-2013, 04:59 PM
It should have 17s, a 3 spoke wheel, and bolstered seats.

90 DGRZ
01-08-2013, 05:22 PM
BOOOOMMMMM...google is your friend.

This information is specific to US-bound E46s.
ZSP - Sport Package

The sport package has been available on all E46 3-series cars. It typically included:

A 3-spoke multifunction steering wheel
Sport seats with adjustable thigh support and heavier, more pronounced side bolsters.
Sport wheels and tires (larger wheels with a different design and lower-profile tires)
Sport suspension calibration (stiffer springs/shocks). Note that 2001 and up 330i sedans got the sport suspension as standard equipment that all Coupes recieved.
ZPP - Premium Package

The premium package has been available on all 3-series cars. It typically included:

Different wheels/tires [if ordered with the sport package, the sport package wheels/tires superseed]
A multifunction steering wheel [IF it was not already standard on the vehicle]
Wood grain interior trim [if ordered with the sport package, the premium package wood is typically installed, unless specifically requested otherwise]
Rain-sensing windshield wipers (became standard equipment in 2004)
Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
Power seats
Lumbar Support (not available on the 325)
Moonroof (note: moonroof can also be ordered separately)
ZHP - Performance Package

The performance package was available on 2003-2005 330 sedans (330i) and 2004-2006 330 coupes and convertibles (330Ci/330Cic). In 2003, it was only available with the 6-speed manual transmission and WITHOUT the premium package. In 2004, all performance package cars were also available with the automatic (steptronic) transmission as well as the premium package.
Obviously, the Performance Package is an inclusive optional package incorporating all of the features of the Sport Package, so they're not available together.
Original Press release: The 330i Performance Package has been created exclusively for the U.S. market for enthusiasts by enthusiasts at BMW Individual, a division of There is no aspect of the driving experience that has not been enhanced by the Performance Package. Modifications to the 3.0-liter in-line six-cylinder engine, which include different camshafts and performance-modified Digital Motor Electronics, a ten horsepower increase to 235. For the first time in a 330i a six-speed manual transmission will be standard. With the Performance Package it will include a short-throw shifter. The package also includes a shorter final drive ratio. The benefits of these modifications are immediately apparent - the 330i with a Performance Package will accelerate from 0 - 60 miles-per-hour in 6 seconds, about half a second faster than a standard 330i. To match the straight-line performance a new more aggressively tuned than the 330i's standard sport suspension, is mated to 18-inch wheels with mixed-size performance tires. In addition to the wheels and tires the exterior of the 330i Performance Package is distinguished by its black headlight trim, high gloss shadowline trim and a new exhaust that not only appears but also sounds more aggressive. The look and feel of the interior has been refined with cloth and Alcantara sport seats matching the Alcantara sport steering wheel. An anthracite headliner and Black cube aluminum trim complete an ambiance tailored to the enthusiast. Silver cube aluminum trim is optional. The instrumentation includes red needles while the tachometer reflects the modified engine's 300 higher rpm limit. Production of the 330i Performance Package will begin in March 2003 with the first cars arriving at BMW centers in April.
TEXT COURTESY of BMWNA

Per the BMW press release, this package included the following changes. However, many of these claims have been found to be misleading:

Engine mods that equal a gain of 10HP & 8 ft/lb of torque by reprogramming the Digital Motor Electronics to allow a 6800 RPM max (up from 6500).

6 speed short throw shifter (for manual transmission equipped cars)

3.07:1 Final drive ratio w/ manual trans instead of the standard 2.91:1. Convertibles retained the already installed 3.07 ratio.

Max Speed Limiter set to 155 mph (instead of 128)

New M suspension, more "sporty" than standard or poor road package.
There are no "ZHP" specific springs. The same springs are used for comparably equipped 330's for both the ZSP and the ZHP. In both cases, the spring rate for the post 4/01 build ZSP and ZHP is believed to be slightly less than that of the pre-4/01 ZSP

Firmer shocks (Jounce: front +50%, rear +20%), (Rebound: front +35%, rear -8%)
ZHP does use different dampers than the ZSP. There is a shortage of shock dyno data, but based on the SACHS damping parameter values it is believe the jounce damping is the same but rebound damping is stiffer on the ZHP. Pre-4/01 sport package cars had similar damping values to the ZHP but used the higher grade SACHS "Advantage" dampers rather than the "Super Touring" model.

Smaller diameter anti-roll bars: 23.5 mm front (v. 24mm pre-04/01 ZSP), 18mm rear (v. 19mm pre-04/01 ZSP)
There is no 18.5 mm rear sway bar offered by BMW for the E46.

More rigid forward bushings
Front Control arm bushings are the same ZHP/ZSP

ZHP control arms are different and use a stiffer ball joint

Lower ride height by 15 mm (.6 inches) utilizing shorter auxiliary springs
Since both the ZSP and ZHP use the same springs, they have the same ride height. Both are 15mm lower than a non-sport E46 -.5 degrees of camber (for a total of -1.1 degrees) Alignment settings are the same ZSP and ZHP

Exterior trim elements (front & rear fascia, trunk lid spoiler)

Special exterior trim: Anthracite (charcoal) headlight & fog light surrounds, High-Gloss

Shadowline (black gloss) trim

Large diameter stainless steel dual exhaust outlets

Extra thick Alcantara steering wheel (later switched to perforated leather)

ZSP Sport Seats

Alcantara & cloth upholstery to replace leatherette and standard trim (leather still optional)

Choice of "Black Cube" or "Silver Cube" interior trim

Red needles on the instrument cluster

Style 135's are added, 18x8.0" front, 18x8.5" rear

Wider Tires: 225/40ZR-18 in front and 255/35ZR-18 in the rear.

Reduced steering rack ratio. 13.7:1 versus 15.4:1
All post 4/01 330's use the same part number steering rack. The ratio of this rack has not been confirmed, but it is believed to be different from that used on the 325's
ZCP - Competition Package

The competition package was offered on 2005-2006 M3 coupes only. It included:

Interlagos blue as a color option
Larger cross-drilled brakes
M-Track mode DSC (a traction control mode that allows for more 'playing')
Alcantara steering wheel and e-brake handle
19" BBS wheels
Shorter steering rack. 14.5:1 versus 15.4:1
ZCW - Cold weather package

The has been available on all 3-series and M3 cars. It typically included:

Pass-through ski bag
Heated seats
Headlight washers

fliprayzin240sx
01-08-2013, 08:41 PM
I got an E46 Wagon and shit has always confused me. Best way to find out what trim you have is running the VIN. There's a guy in E46 fanatics that works at a dealer, if you send him the VIN, he can run it in the system and he can tell you every lil secret that car had when it rolled off the dealer.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
01-09-2013, 04:08 PM
basic seats = not sport package, but $14,500 is still a pretty good price for the year and mileage.