PDA

View Full Version : Mini Disc!

Corbic
01-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Anyone have experience with Sony Mini Disc technology?

I was thinking of picking up a MD headunit for the 240sx, give it some old school jdm charm.

stinky_180
01-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Don't bother, get a CD headunit.

stiizy
01-07-2013, 10:11 AM

I was thinking of picking up a MD headunit for the 240sx, give it some old school jdm charm.

Don't bother, get a CD headunit.

What he said bro, you know how hard it's gonna be to find MiniDiscs??

Corbic
01-07-2013, 10:18 AM
What he said bro, you know how hard it's gonna be to find MiniDiscs??

You record your own.... just like cds

gbaby2089
01-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Mini disks were the jam. I had like 300 mini disks back when they were 'in.'

EnemyS15
01-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Had a md player a few years back. Not really worth the hype. I'd stick with cd unit or ipod comp. unit.

Chl_drifter
01-07-2013, 11:21 AM
ill see you a headunit for $40 plus shipping if you need one that bad lol.

K_style
01-07-2013, 11:36 AM

I used to have Sony MD Walkman back in 90s. It was recordable of course. That was only reason I bought it since there were not many Albums available even back in the days.

It's a cool thing to have because no one else has it. But it's like having 8 track in your car. Quality isn't so great, you have to buy Japanese head unit which Radio frequency isn't same as U.S so you won't have Radio.

MD was failed because of MP3 players. Unless you want to be "One of Kind", I'd stick with current technology.

Corbic
01-07-2013, 11:38 AM
ill see you a headunit for $40 plus shipping if you need one that bad lol.

Pm me pics

K_style
01-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Pm me pics

Oh, besides I am not quite sure if Chl_drifter's head unit MD player does recording. Some only let you play.

Corbic
01-07-2013, 11:43 AM
I used to have Sony MD Walkman back in 90s. It was recordable of course. That was only reason I bought it since there were not many Albums available even back in the days.

It's a cool thing to have because no one else has it. But it's like having 8 track in your car. Quality isn't so great, you have to buy Japanese head unit which Radio frequency isn't same as U.S so you won't have Radio.

MD was failed because of MP3 players. Unless you want to be "One of Kind", I'd stick with current technology.

I have an 8 track Delco for my Camaro and a Pioneer unit for home.

Nothing blows people's minds like hearing Mechanical Animals on 8-track ( I record my own).

I shaved the cars antena since I hate radio, as long as I have aux in I think I'd be GTG.

Do the JDM recievers use the same harnesss as there US counter parts? All Kenwoods are the same for example.

Ive been eyeballing some on nengun.

K_style
01-07-2013, 11:49 AM
I have an 8 track Delco for my Camaro and a Pioneer unit for home.

Nothing blows people's minds like hearing Mechanical Animals on 8-track ( I record my own).

I shaved the cards antena since I hate radio, as long as I have aux in I think I'd be GTG.

Do the JDM recievers use the same harnesss as there US counter parts? All Kenwoods are the same for example.

Ive been eyeballing some on nengun.

Oh, I guess you are the right person to get MD player haha..

I believe JDM ones use same harnesses at least mine was. I used to have Kenwoods and Alpine. but could be different for other brands.

Teddy
01-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Don't let people turn you down, if you want to do it, give it a shot and see how you like it!

Corbic
01-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Oh, besides I am not quite sure if Chl_drifter's head unit MD player does recording. Some only let you play.

I was going to get a hand held that has the usb connection, netmd I believe it's called this let's you burn mp3s at 64x instead of being forced to live record via a input jack.

brndck
01-07-2013, 10:51 PM
I had minidiscs all through high school. That shit was rad cuz it wouldn't skip and you could record your own mixes over and over all on the same disc. Couldn't scratch em either.
I thought they were way better than CDs any day.
This was the unit I had
http://ii.alatest.com/product/full/1/f/Sony-MZ-R500-L-Portable-Mini-Disc-Player-0.jpg

MADE
01-08-2013, 02:23 AM
I think I have a Alpine Double DIN minidisc player, Im sure I can beat Nengun price. Unless you want a certain one. I have no need for it.

exitspeed
01-08-2013, 06:21 AM
Throw some TV's in the headrest too and install a Laser Disc. You'll just need the hole trunk for a place to install it. lol

I guess it's cool if you're trying to build a period car. But shit, I HATE Sony and their stupid proprietary technology. I contribute their current financial state in part to that kind of BS over the last 30 years.

fliprayzin240sx
01-08-2013, 06:53 AM
Shit, if you wanted a Mini-disk player, I would have ripped all the Carrozzeria Pioneer stuff off my wife's R33 in Japan. Thing had a mini-disk head unit and roll out JDM TV, then had a 6 CD changer in the trunk.

Z_Spool
01-08-2013, 12:54 PM
...MD was failed because of MP3 players. Unless you want to be "One of Kind", I'd stick with current technology.
Nope.
...I guess it's cool if you're trying to build a period car. But shit, I HATE Sony and their stupid proprietary technology. I contribute their current financial state in part to that kind of BS over the last 30 years.
This.

Sony killed off their own product by bogarting it. Hell, they almost did the same thing to Bluray before allowing Disney to get their hands on it. The fact is it was a technology that showed great promise and had Sony shared the rights to it with bigger/more studios, who knows how long it would have lasted. (granted it still would have had a short life span once the iPod was introduced a few years down the road) Since it died in it's infancy though I wouldn't want such 'experimental' (or should I say, imperfect) technology in my daily nor would I want to haul around a bunch of MDs in my car just for the sake of using 90's tech. Just my $0.02 but then again I'm the kind of guy who wants the latest & greatest tech in everything I own.

Corbic
01-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Is Addzest a premium line for Clarion, or just the Japanese branding?

Anyone know anywhere else to score a deck? I'm looking for a kenwood or pioneer single, no flip front. Sub out

Aux in preferred.

Corbic
01-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Nope.

This.

Sony killed off their own product by bogarting it. Hell, they almost did the same thing to Bluray before allowing Disney to get their hands on it. The fact is it was a technology that showed great promise and had Sony shared the rights to it with bigger/more studios, who knows how long it would have lasted.

It could have replaced CDs which are still around despite MP3s and iPods.

Would you not rather buy a indestructible and smaller MD in place of frail CDs? Then again, thanks to Sony, I can still rip a CD, you can't rip a MD.

It's like terminator, it's a oneway ticket.

Syncade
01-09-2013, 10:16 AM
MD was failed because of MP3 players.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight

Corbic
01-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Thoughts?

Plays MDLP (160min at 132kb)
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/AFZombie/image001.png

Or the classic old skool but on 80min @ 292kb
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/AFZombie/image002.png

K_style
01-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Thoughts?

Plays MDLP (160min at 132kb)
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/AFZombie/image001.png

Or the classic old skool but on 80min @ 292kb
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/AFZombie/image002.png

I feel like being teenager again by looking at those.. :)

Corbic
01-09-2013, 12:40 PM
I know!

This one was looking so familiar till I realized why... I installed the CD version in my Volkswagen.. 11 years ago.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/AFZombie/image004.png

K_style
01-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Nope.

This.

Sony killed off their own product by bogarting it. Hell, they almost did the same thing to Bluray before allowing Disney to get their hands on it. The fact is it was a technology that showed great promise and had Sony shared the rights to it with bigger/more studios, who knows how long it would have lasted. (granted it still would have had a short life span once the iPod was introduced a few years down the road) Since it died in it's infancy though I wouldn't want such 'experimental' (or should I say, imperfect) technology in my daily nor would I want to haul around a bunch of MDs in my car just for the sake of using 90's tech. Just my $0.02 but then again I'm the kind of guy who wants the latest & greatest tech in everything I own.

It's because of Sony's Ego. But the fact is biggest impact to MD to fail or Sony to stop making MD is because of MP3.

I am not sure if you are aware, back in 90's in Japan I was able to find music albums easy in MD format. Hell I even had MD drive on my computer.

It wasn't as popular as CD but like Corbic said it was more easier to carry around, smaller, less fragile. But when MP3 came out in 97~98 way before iPod even existed by Saehan it blew everyone's mind.

Of course no such MP3 album was produced but it was easy to compress music from CD to MP3 and easy to get from file sharing through web.

drift freaq
01-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Of course no such MP3 album was produced but it was easy to compress music from CD to MP3 and easy to get from file sharing through web.

And thus the birth of the internet Music Piracy.

Corbic
01-09-2013, 01:20 PM

... and with unlimited access to music from all over the world; people continue to listen to the same 20 "artists" with stations playing the same 40 songs.

drift freaq
01-09-2013, 01:29 PM
... and with unlimited access to music from all over the world; people continue to listen to the same 20 "artists" with stations playing the same 40 songs.

Ya go figure. Hmm I wonder, were you trying to be sarcastic or dead serious? LOL
Nothing wrong with streaming radio though I think its great. You can stream radio off the internet and hear stuff you will never hear on regular over the air radio.

Remember when we are talking about Piracy its not about streaming music its about illegal downloads which the horrible MP3 pretty much blew up.

Or wait its actually about a failed medium called MIni Disc which actually used ATRAC compression which also degraded the audio playback quality.

Ah to think people love the sound degraded audio which is what MP3's are due to lossy compression which takes data out.

Not sure of the audio quality playback on MD( it just never caught on enough here to garner my interest) but ATRAC Is a form of lossy compression as well which removes data out of the original file in the compression stage

K_style
01-09-2013, 01:44 PM

Indeed. That's the sad part..

Corbic
01-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Agreed^ (driftfreaq)

I still don't understand why people buy albums on iTunes. They are never cheaper than the actual CD.

Also - Holy Fucking shipping rape!

Nengun wants $78 to ship the deck EMS.

For fucking real?!

K_style
01-09-2013, 01:56 PM
This looks good.. and cheap..

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Sony-MDX-C7900-Car-In-dash-MD-Minidisc-player-AM-FM-Receiver-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16ZHJHgE9n0yG-0zBQ6NsVT(Qg~~60_57.JPG

Sony MDX C7900 Car in Dash MD MiniDisc Player Am FM Receiver | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDX-C7900-Car-In-dash-MD-Minidisc-player-AM-FM-Receiver-/110997609063?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item19d7f91a67)

Corbic
01-09-2013, 02:13 PM
This looks good.. and cheap..

I may have too... even though I've always hated Sony stereos and this one is not remotely gaudy enough for a S13.

K_style
01-09-2013, 02:16 PM
I may have too... even though I've always hated Sony stereos and this one is not remotely gaudy enough for a S13.

Can't beat cheap.. I doubt others will bid on it...

drift freaq
01-10-2013, 01:07 AM
Agreed^ (driftfreaq)

I still don't understand why people buy albums on iTunes. They are never cheaper than the actual CD.
!

Actually Apple puts up lossless files and their codec is M4A which is a lossless codec. So the compressed file still retains all the data. It actually does sound better than the average MP3.
Its Google Music, Amazon, and all the other sites that you get MP3's from that really suck. If you are going to get music off the Internet? Which you should only do legally, then Itunes has the best sounding stuff.

The funny thing about Itunes is I have never had to pay for it. I have been given gift cards. Hell I was even given them at trade shows. So currently I have a $50-60 balance in Itunes.
Which does make it convenient.

Z_Spool
01-10-2013, 12:31 PM
It's because of Sony's Ego. But the fact is biggest impact to MD to fail or Sony to stop making MD is because of MP3.

I am not sure if you are aware, back in 90's in Japan I was able to find music albums easy in MD format. Hell I even had MD drive on my computer.

It wasn't as popular as CD but like Corbic said it was more easier to carry around, smaller, less fragile. But when MP3 came out in 97~98 way before iPod even existed by Saehan it blew everyone's mind.

Granted, Japan may have taken to digital music quicker than the US market, (as they do with most experimental technology) but here in the states things played out a bit different. Minidisc became a media that was primarily used in the music industry, but didn't really make a huge splash in the consumer market. MP3 was a revolution and the idea of a single CD holding hundreds of songs was insane but it wasn't entirely user friendly to the common end user, so the people who mainly used it were kids who weren't really spending their allowance money anyways. (again, the piracy thing) It wasn't until the iPod and iTunes came about that everyone and their mom (literally) were able to get their hands on a digital music technology that was relatively inexpensive, and extremely easy to use. That's when the digital music revolution really took hold of the general US consumers market.

Don't get me wrong, when Minidisc was first introduced I was begging my dad to get me one for my B-day, but with little available from major labels in the US and most people not being willing to pay the cost to switch from CD's, it never really took off in the US enough to say it was killed off by anything other than Sony's failed business practices. Minidisc in the US was little more than Vaporware.

K_style
01-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Granted, Japan may have taken to digital music quicker than the US market, (as they do with most experimental technology) but here in the states things played out a bit different. Minidisc became a media that was primarily used in the music industry, but didn't really make a huge splash in the consumer market. MP3 was a revolution and the idea of a single CD holding hundreds of songs was insane but it wasn't entirely user friendly to the common end user, so the people who mainly used it were kids who weren't really spending their allowance money anyways. (again, the piracy thing) It wasn't until the iPod and iTunes came about that everyone and their mom (literally) were able to get their hands on a digital music technology that was relatively inexpensive, and extremely easy to use. That's when the digital music revolution really took hold of the general US consumers market.

Don't get me wrong, when Minidisc was first introduced I was begging my dad to get me one for my B-day, but with little available from major labels in the US and most people not being willing to pay the cost to switch from CD's, it never really took off in the US enough to say it was killed off by anything other than Sony's failed business practices. Minidisc in the US was little more than Vaporware.

Sony needs to stop doing weird shit like Memory stick... I bought a Sony Digital camera back in 2001 and WTF? Couldn't use my other Memory card..

drift freaq
01-10-2013, 04:27 PM

Actually even in the Music Industry Mini Disc was not that big. Now if you want to talk about a Format that really took hold in the Music Industry? Look no further than DAT, It was huge in the Industry for masters for a good ten years or more. It only started to phase out around 2000.

tricky_ab
01-10-2013, 07:47 PM
I remember my friend had brought me back some crazy small Sony one from Japan in HS. Man I loved that thing!

http://transom.org/tools/photos/200306.minidisc/sony_mzn1.240.jpg?9d7bd4

Mine was red though...

Throw that sucker in your jacket and control it with that cylinder piece. It also displayed the track info...

240sxcure
01-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Actually Apple puts up lossless files and their codec is M4A which is a lossless codec. So the compressed file still retains all the data. It actually does sound better than the average MP3.
Its Google Music, Amazon, and all the other sites that you get MP3's from that really suck. If you are going to get music off the Internet? Which you should only do legally, then Itunes has the best sounding stuff.

The funny thing about Itunes is I have never had to pay for it. I have been given gift cards. Hell I was even given them at trade shows. So currently I have a $50-60 balance in Itunes.
Which does make it convenient.

The trade off is that with an MP3 the format is acceptable on multiple devices and platforms without having to be anchored to a playlist for usability.

Corbic
01-11-2013, 05:02 PM
I didn't v realize finding software to run on windows 7 and Mac OS would be that hard.

Corbic
01-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Victory.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/AFZombie/20130111_230338.jpg

atom
01-12-2013, 02:03 AM
I always wanted one of those baller ass Nakamichi head units. All the really sick cars in Super Street had em back in the day. Ricer dreams.