PDA

View Full Version : differentials?

nismo_drifter
01-04-2013, 02:58 PM
okay so i have searched and cant really seem to get a straight answer...

i have a brand tomei 2way for a open diff that i purchased a few years back for a s13 i had with an open diff....i never got around to installing it and i wrecked my s13 so the 2 way just sat in my room...

now i have purchased a s14 and it is a 95 se with abs and stock vlsd but i think the vlsd is out cause when i jack up the car and it is in gear and i go to spin the rear tires one spins one way and the other one the other way...

so my question is how can i tell it it was a stock vlsd that is out or did some change it out to an open diff?

i want to put in my tomei 2 way but it is for an open diff and not vlsd diff so can i just use any s13, s14 open diff just with the s14 cover? does my car having abs matter with the driveshaft and does it have to be a specific open i need to get to put the 2 way in? thanks...

fliprayzin240sx
01-04-2013, 09:14 PM
You have an open diff in your S14. VLSD, should not spin opposite directions. So your diff should work with your pumpkin.

nismo_drifter
01-04-2013, 09:32 PM
so how do i know if its just a bad vlsd or do they not go bad? and even if it a bad vlsd they will both turn the same way still?

motteramm
01-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Even a bad one will still rotate the same way. I have a rebuilt S14 VLSD in my s13 coupe and i could not be happier it is extremely predictable. But anyway this is a "pretty good" DIY on how to install it. All open diffs you will be able to see the spider gears and all vlsd's will have a cylinder with a few holes surrounding the spider gears. Hope that helps!

DIY 240sx lsd install - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz2BhokGWF4)

fliprayzin240sx
01-08-2013, 09:44 AM
^^^This...all a bad one will do is not lock hard.

nismo_drifter
01-09-2013, 12:48 PM
okay thanks guys for clearing that up for me....

thanks for the video also...but what about the back lash?