PDA

View Full Version : 2jz-gte FD wont start =(

johnnymx5
01-04-2013, 11:22 AM
I have a rx7 FD with a 2jz swap. single turbo swap, stand alone, fpr ect. i went to start her up today and it will not start. ran fine before i parked it for the winter. last time i started her up was less than 2 months ago. not sure what the problem is. i can hear the fuel pump prime when i turn the key and the battery is good. i even connected a fully charged battery pack to it as i try to start her up... im in new jersey and it has been about 38 degrees outside. please HELP! thank you

**sorry that this is not a nissan topic but i figured its more of a general issue that someone who is mechanically inclined and familiar with modified cars could help me determine the problem. i have found most help from Zilvia members than anywhere else and find the members here to be more knowledgeable and friendly... :picardfp:

Sleepiedaze
01-04-2013, 12:19 PM
do you have spark? do you have fuel going thru fpr? whats pressure from fpr read? does it crank? will it try to start?

KendallH
01-04-2013, 12:27 PM
You have a 2jz swapped FD rx7 and don't know how to work on it?

Fucking checkbook racers.

future
01-04-2013, 12:31 PM
First thought when I saw this thread, he bought the car like this. If he build it be wouldn't be asking a forum why it doesn't start.

johnnymx5
01-04-2013, 12:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPNPx-cdBns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw2LGtG5bZs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q13vLmyeSMM

i got the car in a trade and drove it daily all summer-fall (6months). parked it for the winter. didnt think a 2jz would be problematic. anyways, heres some videos i took while trying to start her up..

johnnymx5
01-04-2013, 12:40 PM
in the first video, you can see the fuel pressure go up on the fpr gauge when the key is turned. then it drops back to zero after the fuel pump finishes priming. not sure if its supposed to do that since my aeromotive fpr sits at around 40 before tapering off slowly. i figured it was normal and just a difference in brand

KendallH
01-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Is it running on AEM? A lot of standalones have issues with cold start, especially AEM. Try priming it with the key several times to make sure you've got enough fuel pressure built up, then try to start it. Repeat that several times and you may be able to get it to start.

johnnymx5
01-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Is it running on AEM? A lot of standalones have issues with cold start, especially AEM. Try priming it with the key several times to make sure you've got enough fuel pressure built up, then try to start it. Repeat that several times and you may be able to get it to start.

yes it is AEM.. is this just a winter cold start issue and should be fine when its warmer out? or is there something AEM users do to get their cars running? ive tried what you suggested a few times for the past two days. no go =( sometimes when i let the fuel pressure build up and try starting it, theres a loud POP! noise out the exhaust

KendallH
01-04-2013, 12:58 PM
yes it is AEM.. is this just a winter cold start issue and should be fine when its warmer out? or is there something AEM users do to get their cars running? ive tried what you suggested a few times for the past two days. no go =( sometimes when i let the fuel pressure build up and try starting it, theres a loud POP! noise out the exhaust

Really what it needs is a cold start map put on, akin to what the "orange wire" does on S-chassis cars. Any AEM tuner who knows what they're doing should be able to help with that. Until then I would try searching forums to see if there's anything you can do to try and get it to start in the meantime.

johnnymx5
01-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Really what it needs is a cold start map put on, akin to what the "orange wire" does on S-chassis cars. Any AEM tuner who knows what they're doing should be able to help with that. Until then I would try searching forums to see if there's anything you can do to try and get it to start in the meantime.

..will do. thanks for the heads up on the AEM!

PRADOgy
01-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Must have been an amazing trade. GL on the issue.

josephin510
01-05-2013, 07:24 PM
If its running a aem notorious for burning out we just had this prob with a supra. If you can upload a stock map and try to use it on a stock 2j.

RaNMaN
01-05-2013, 11:38 PM
in the first video, you can see the fuel pressure go up on the fpr gauge when the key is turned. then it drops back to zero after the fuel pump finishes priming. not sure if its supposed to do that since my aeromotive fpr sits at around 40 before tapering off slowly. i figured it was normal and just a difference in brand

that is not normal, it looks like your fpr is not holding pressure. it should slowly taper off as you see on the aeromotive.

you could try priming the fuel a few times and then try to start it while the pressure is still up, that might get it started but still it looks like you need a new fpr or else some where else there is an issue in the fuel system.

johnnymx5
01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
that is not normal, it looks like your fpr is not holding pressure. it should slowly taper off as you see on the aeromotive.

you could try priming the fuel a few times and then try to start it while the pressure is still up, that might get it started but still it looks like you need a new fpr or else some where else there is an issue in the fuel system.

yea i wasnt sure if that was normal for some brands or not. with the problem i seem to be having (no fuel pressure), where do you suggest i start to fix that problem? i can def hear the fuel pump priming. if the guage isnt supposed to drop off like that, meaning i might be loosing fuel pressure right away, what could be the issue if not the fuel pump? thanks

F3600
01-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Maybe you just drowned it in fuel. Take out all sparkplugs and wait overnight.

hassanbakar123
01-07-2013, 12:18 PM
yeah remove the spark plugs check to see if there's gas on them, its not even cranking either maybe there is too much fuel in one or two cly.... just a guess also you shouldn't lose your prime that fast, maybe a leaking injector. bad o ring on the injector?

RaNMaN
01-07-2013, 01:15 PM
i would start by checking the fpr, the fuel pump check valve, and the injectors to find out where your fuel system is bleeding off pressure.

if i'm not mistaken the fuel pump is supposed to have some sort of check valve built into it. maybe open up the tank lid, prime the car and see if you have fuel coming back through the return (fpr related failure) or through the pump itself (fuel pump check valve related failure).

you could remove the fuel rail to see if you have a leaking injector.

i'm by no means an expert but i would start by checking out those items first.